Help vs. VC - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help vs. VC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help vs. VC

Ok. Another annoying noob comes crying away after being whacked with 200 plus skeletons.

Please help this annoying noob.

Im running a horde/shooty list with little magic, and thats how i like it. Do I have to spam wizards in order to keep up with the VC and change the complexion of my army totally?

There are a few VC players down at the local GW and they run slightly different lights, but they are all giving me a headache.

Whether it be the huge hordes of fear causing skellies or his ability to flank charge me by moving his knights with Danse, its really rather annoying.

so far I have'nt lost miserably, I've managed to hurt him with shooting, but its never enough by itself and combat res always goes his way.

cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try this cheap character(leader) hunter on their general:

wizard 65 (lore of shadows)
    speculum 30

always pick the shadow steed spell and at the end of your magic phase cast the spell and charge the wizard into the leaders unit, issue a challenge and show the vamp who is boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by halflingchef View Post
    try this cheap character(leader) hunter on their general:

wizard 65 (lore of shadows)
    speculum 30

always pick the shadow steed spell and at the end of your magic phase cast the spell and charge the wizard into the leaders unit, issue a challenge and show the vamp who is boss.
    This isn't a bad idea overall, except that many many players will see it coming and accept the challenge with their unit champion- when you kill the champion, he'll just bring it back in his next magic phase and your wizard will be forced to run away because of VC's true advantage, which is static resolution combined with fear. This same tactic will work great against the pesky casters if he doesnt put them in units, but most of the time they're going to be smack-dab in the middle of an ever increasing block... This goes without mentioning that the VC player will probably want to dispel the shadow steed to begin with.

Against VC it really helps to have a lot of dispel dice, especially if you go against the army build that bases its castings around the corpse cart and using single dice to cast. My greatest success against them has always been warrior priests, but I'm in the habit of fielding them anyway. Without the extra dispel dice, the VC player can walk all over you. A single wizard with a rod of power and a warrior priest or two will really help keep the vampire spells at bay.... but don't be afraid to let a couple of his spells get through- an extra 3 or 4 skeletons won't win him the game, but a unit of knights into your flank will.

I personally find the best way to deal with the vampires is to beat the snot out of their units in CC... but I play a horde army with very little non-artillery shooting and at least two WP's. With the exception of a small handful of units, empire troops are just better overall, and you shouldn't have too much of a difficulty putting a dent in his units- making the dent stay is usually the trick. Warrior priests help this immensely, because they increase the overall efficiency of your big blocks, can make your units unbreakable (if you can get the spell through, which is the trick), and can always threaten your opponent with the ever-so handy d6 hits to the unit during the magic phase.
    Shoot the snot out of his units, focus fire until units are gone, and then gang up on whatever is left- having the speculum will work wonders if he doesn't have champions in the unit to accept in place of his characters or if he's foolish enough to accept or issue challenges to you.

Flagellents can also help quite a bit, but i think the biggest goal I have when playing against VC is to never let him fight me on his terms, and to never let him outnumber me in combat (which generally isnt that difficult).

All this said, VC is probably the hardest army to play against with empire, at least in my opinion given the games I've played recently.

Superflat Monogram Sayomi Akimoto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

I'll just leave this guide right here...

Warhammer-Empire.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

I am a VC player, so let me offer a couple of insights.
    First off, shooting. There is no point shooting several different units in a VC army, it is quite simply too easy to replenish the casualties. What you need to do is concentrate your fire on destroying a unit completely. Zombies are the only thing that can be raised from scratch, everything else needs at least one exsisting model left to be raised.
    Another thing to remember is that unless they have given the Vampires certain bloodline powers then units cannot be raised above their starting strength, and even then it is only skeletons and ghouls (and possibly fell bats and wolves - can't remember) that can be, everything else is limited to the starting size of the unit.
    Ignore the Zombies, they really are only a tarpit unit. Concentrate your fire on the nastier units 9Pretty much everything else). Spells that cause unit wide damage (i.e. D6, 2D6 hits etc) are a bonus. But you can have a hard time with magic against VC, as we can really pump out the power and dispel dice.
    Also, get a couple of cheap, fast units (pistoliers are good) to deal with the blood knights - don't try and fight them straight up, redirect them away from the battle. They have frenzy so use that to your advantage.
    Basically the best piece of advice I can offer is concentrate your fire and completely destroy units. Then, if you do get into combat, make it multiples, flanks and rears can spell big headaches for VC troops, as they often rely on the static CR and outnumber to pull them through. If you can deny them ranks and get bonuses for flank and or rear then you are off to a great start. Factor in that you will also likely get more kills (minus the Vamps that is) then you should be able to start making them crumble - They loose the number of models that they lost by. So if you win by 7, that's 7 skeletons/whatever that disappear.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain (It's time to roll the dice)- Mattrim Cauthon

+ Reply to Thread