Karl Franz's Book of War - Empire Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Karl Franz's Book of War - Empire Tactica

Having browsed several other army forums ive noticed one thing we, Empire players, are missing. A Tactica. Hints and tips about how to beat other army's that are out there. Army, character and unit builds, deployment and strategy ideas.

Im putting the call out for those of you who are able to contribte to produce such a thing.

Topics are such as: Empire vs Wood Elf, Empire vs Tomb Kings, Deployment: Reduced Flank, Army type: Gun Line, Army type: Calvary and pretty much anything you can think of.

My aim is to have a document that new and experienced Empire players can look at and benifit from.

If your interested, just put down what topic you can think of and we will get to work.

For Karl Franz. For the EMPIRE

I Like Cheese

Stolen from People on the Interweb (c)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I've been meaning to organise one of these, but didn't really think anyone would be interested. Heheh, I guess I was wrong.

Personally, I'd certainly be up for contributing to it. Having taken part in the WE one, it was a monumental effort- taking two years with several drops in interest. If memory serves, Dave and Skarsgard put in a LOT of effort near the end to get it finished.

As for what to see, I think just a big compilation on units, magic items and such would be adequate first, then how to take on a few various army setups, and then see what we can expand on from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooo! That would be nice! empire tactica?

have any staff about these any of you guys?

xm.....interesting !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

Great. I noticed it too, but was afraid to mention,
    due to lack of expierience..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

I would totally be up for a tatica and hopefully I could contribute. I really enjoyed the WE tatica, it really helped me out when I started that army (and WFB in general, since I was just starting at the time). I would really like a line by line on each and every unit and magic item like in the WE one, along with sections where common combinations (war altar builds, detachment theory, etc.) are explored and tatics explained (Flaggelants or Steam Tank, Why our Knights are still good, etc.). Let me know if something starts up plz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, so good. It taking a while for me to get inspired enough to actualy make a move on this thing...

To date:
    Characters and Units
    - How they rank up against other units of there type/roll (Ie: Spearmen vs Swordsmen/Halbs, Xbow vs Handgun/archers)
    - Common Tactics
    - Upgrades (such as detachments and commands)

Items
    - Bang for your Buck
    - "Stathammer" on certain items

Any other idea's?

Im intending to have a section on Army Tactics, and an "Empire VS X" section

So, those who are able to contribute (pls do or ill explode before i finish) if you could pm me with what you are able/willing to do or post it here

Ty
    I Like Cheese

Stolen from People on the Interweb (c)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! Sliver! i wanna help just dont know from where to start

u can start a new topic and i can help too or at least try

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

So yeah, I decided that I wanted to see some results coming from the tactica...so I wrote up kinda a mock trial one, hopefully to inspire us to do get into action. Feel free to comment on it, disagreements and the such. I planned on doing a lot more but decided to stick with just halberdiers and even then I had to reference a lot to no existent sections. And props to Cryic the Mad for giving me an outline to base the tactica around. Here you go:

State Troops Tactica

Overview
    These guys are the one of the most defining characteristics of the Empire Army Book. Do not let their plain statistics fool you! Their versatility, their numbers and surprising quirks which, if used properly, will let them prevail where many others would fail. This tactica will focus on practical applications of units with the State Troops special rule, when it is appropriate to use them, what can be done to enhance and tailor them and the raw numbers when compared against not only their fellow state troops but also common opponents.

What is the Detachment system?
    This is what makes state troops different and better from all the rest. Many others will have BRB special rules like Poisoned or Always Strike First or simply have improved weapons, armour and base statistics, however these cannot be guaranteed to benefit the player since certain conditions must be met to get the advantage thus allowing the opposing player the chance to deny them and strengthen their chances of winning. What makes our detachment system superior to this is it gives us something that is always needed: tactical advantage. Warhammer Fantasy Battle has often been called the game that is won in the movement phase and this rule gives us a leg up in this. Take note however to seize this opportunity, it requires skill and experience and hopefully this tatica will help you with the former. The State Troops special rule are found page 38-39 in your Empire Army Book. It will not be explained here for the sake of redundancy but will be referenced to many times so it would be wise to put it to memory. Now with that in mind, we can now move on to discussing the actual units which will be grouped by the unit being suited for close or ranged combat.

Halberdiers- Mainstay of the Empire

Strengths
    - High strength (4) for low strength army
    - Maintain initiative value despite increase in strength
    - Very inexpensive

Weaknesses
    - Low armour save (+6)
    - Mediocre weapon skill
    - Mediocre initiative
    - Mediocre leadership (7)

Tactics/Roles

Parent Unit: These guys are meant to be offensive and should be played as such. You should look to getting the charge at all costs, you don’t have the armour save to survive getting hit yourself. And because of that low armour save, combined with mediocre weapon skill and toughness will make for assured losses, so the wounds you cause will matter all the more. Full commands are recommended for all instances, because of the needed combat resolution, extra attack and leadership should your unit need to rally. Take large numbers of 20 to 30 for these guys, hopefully enough that you won’t have to take a panic test and will still have your 3 rank bonuses and outnumber bonus when you do reach combat. Swordsmen and Halberdier detachments work well for these parent units.

Detachment: Once again, these guys rely on an aggressive offence rather than static combat resolution to win the day. They are most effective taken five wide up to 10 strong. They work even better on the flanks since your opponent won’t be getting the extra armour save for hand weapon and shield. Halberdier detachments work equally well in a counter or support charge since they will both be counting as charging against the enemy unit. They work well with virtually any parent unit since they can act as a cheap guard for your ranged units or support for your close combat units.

Best Against: Low toughness and low armour save opponents are susceptible to halberdiers because those two factors enhance the unit’s strong points: wounding the target easier and reducing the armour save. Undead are particularly vulnerable to halberdiers because of their lower initiative and weapon skill value in addition to the above. A regular combat (both have 3 ranks, standard and equal amount of troops) against skeletons with hand weapons and shields will result in: 6*2/3=4*2/3=2.6666*2/3=1.777 or generally 2 kills for the parent unit and will receive 4*1/2=2*1/2=1*5/6= .8333 or 1 death in return, leaving it either a win by 1 without the help of the detachment.

Worst Against: Warriors of Chaos and other high toughness, high save units . High toughness units are hard for Halberdiers to deal with because while it might be easier to wound them then their spear or sword brothers, they still require actual wounds to win the combat. Additionally, the Warriors of Chaos are not only harder to wound but because the armour save was so high to start with, the difference made is much less significant. Take for example a combat where a unit of 20 halberdiers charge a unit of 15 Warriors with shields along with a 10 man halberdier detachment: The parent unit does 6*1/2=3*1/2=1.5*1/3=.5 or 50% chance of killing one and the detachment does 5*1/2=2.5*1/2=1.25*1/2=.625 or 2/3 chance of killing one. We shall assume between the parent and detachment, one makes a kill. The warriors on the front will do 9*2/3=6*2/3=4 kills and on the side will do 4*2/3=2.6666*2/3=1.777 or generally 2 kills. This ties the combat (3 ranks, outnumber, flank, negate ranks and the one kill negates the warriors 6 kills). This is a great testament to our state troops, who can tie up a unit which costs 50% more than our own for two rounds, giving us time to maneuver, set traps and the like (this will be discussed in detail later in the Empire tactics section). However, the next round is almost guaranteed to be a Warrior of Chaos win and so it should not be considered a winning solution on its own.

Characters: Warrior priests would be the most obvious choice. They give the unit hatred, which results in more hits and subsequently more wounds, but also additional leadership and the potential to become unbreakable. Wizards that can both act in ranged or close combat roles also act as good supplements to the unit. Captains also are a cheap way to add additional high strength attacks and higher leadership.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Here is a link to the Wood Elf one.

Just to give you an example of a layout that worked for us. If you need help give me a yell, hell I might even contribute an article or two.

One thing that worked for us was having a list of topics and people calling dibs on that topic, then putting it up for review for a period before it gets accepted.

Best of luck.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Well, that's an excellent first article. If I were an empire player, instead of a player who is strongly considering empire for his next army, I'd certainly offer to help! Kudos!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast