Knight Unit Sizes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight Unit Sizes

Returning to the game after a 4 year hiatus and am trying to reconfigure my Knight Units for 7th edition. What do people think the optimun size of a unit is? Does anyone think that should change when playing larger point games?

Right now I've got two units of eight with lances and one unit of eight with calvary hammers. Thinking that could make four units of six.

Also what makes a unit "Reiksguard"? Would I need to/Should I repaint some knights to benifit from these special rules?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Outcast Shinigami thedrifter777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Two units of 6 with musician only. Cheap and effective counter-charge units that count as core choices. What's not to like?
    "Dare to be Naive"

If someone helps you, or you just like what they say, rep them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. 6 knights with no command at all, or if any a musician is my favorite setup. Paying for the champion and standard is effectively giving your opponent victory points and only serves to make the unit more expensive. If you're playing with at least 2 decent blocks of infantry, you can't go wrong with a 6 man unit of knights as flank support.

In an all cav army, I could see some benefits to making larger units, but for standard, take-all-comers support knights, 6 (with or without musician) is the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the two main changes to remember for 7th edition during the reconfiguring are the following:
    *Rank bonus will only count for complete ranks of 5 or more wide. (Instead of the 4 from previous editions)
    *Cavalry Hammer = Great weapon, which mean mounted you only get +1S and strike last (unless charging).

In my opinion this makes cavalry hammer knights not really useful anymore.
    My knights usually come in one of the following 3 combinations:
    *7 knights with full command + wizard with armour of tarnus (and hopefully flaming sword of rhuin). The 8 men unit is a relic of older editions, but it somehow works. Whilst I cannot really find the points for 2 more men in my current 2k army.
    * 5 knights with champion in a flanking / semi-fast cav role. But the 6 men musician unit seems to be really neat as well for this function. As long as you avoid the banner.
    * large (10 -12-15 men) inner circle if I use a grand master.

Oh, and a 1+ save can still take a lot of punishment. This is a thing a recently keep on amazing myself about (and annoying my opponent).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 strong with a mounted warrior priest in and make them inner circle with full command is a very hard hitting hammer5 str 6 attacks rerolling misses and you can take a casualty before losing a rank, generally it is the heart and soul of my army (well that and the exploding pope).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Raland View Post
    Also what makes a unit "Reiksguard"? Would I need to/Should I repaint some knights to benifit from these special rules?
    Since no-one else has answered this, here's how it works:
    In all honesty, nothing. It's like the difference between an Ultramarines Tactical Marine, and an Imperial Fists Tactical Marine. What I've gotten away with in the past is using Kurt Helborg as Sir Cumference, and shoving him in a unit of Knights of the Round Table (fictitious order). For tournament play, I suspect you could do that kind of thing as well. All you really have to do is point at your Knights/TGM, and say, "they're Order XXX".

Anyone that doesn't let you do it is probably one of those people that enforce that Martha Stewart is, in fact, Martha Stewart Wilson because of some obscure marriage/law back in the 1980s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Raland View Post
    Returning to the game after a 4 year hiatus and am trying to reconfigure my Knight Units for 7th edition. What do people think the optimun size of a unit is? Does anyone think that should change when playing larger point games?

Right now I've got two units of eight with lances and one unit of eight with calvary hammers. Thinking that could make four units of six.

Also what makes a unit "Reiksguard"? Would I need to/Should I repaint some knights to benefit from these special rules?
    Welcome back. I must agree with what many have said here, that the common configuration would be go a single rank of six lance knights with only a musician. You should see if you have a spare lance sprue lying around and see if you can convert them unless you have some special love for them. You could try putting a mounted Warrior Priest in there, in which case it would be wise to make them Inner Circle and take a full command, but I have done this myself and found it hard to earn back points. I feel that like all things Empire, numbers are key for them and that is easy to do since they are cheap and core. Also, they provide actual killing power as opposed to most of our state troops so are useful in a support role accrueing CR. However, I have found that it is really hard for Knights, even Inner Circle ones, to be effective charging right into the front which is why I advise them as a support role.

The Reiksguard are the personal retinue of Karl Franz, as Kurt Helborg as their Grand Master. They have metallic armour and red and white feathers with the occasional green laurel. You can see pictures of them in p.86 of your army book. The importance of this is if you want to field Kurt Helborg, then you have to have a unit of Knights of the same order, as with any other Grand Master. So...yeah, you'll have to repaint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I think I'll buy some more knights if I want to feild Kurt. All my knights are done in the Blue and Yellow of Nordland. I still have all my lances and may remove the standards should I want to feild multiple units.

Right now with the 16 lance knights I can leave the standards in the box and have two units of 6 with musician or go to 12. My calvary hammer weilding knights might get converted to Reiksguard, not entirely sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OmG..... i have 2x6 knights units....

i love KURt but i have paint my army white-blue (like book instead of red -blue) so i cant

field kurt cause he needs 1 unit white-red (reiksguard*?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gsk.Gosu0r View Post
    OmG..... i have 2x6 knights units....

i love KURt but i have paint my army white-blue (like book instead of red -blue) so i cant

field kurt cause he needs 1 unit white-red (reiksguard*?)
    Not realy - you can easily justify having blue/white Reiksguard. It's your army, you can paint it however you like. You can even say that its not really Kurt but another Grand Master or prior Reiksmarshall who liked Blue and WHite, and uses the same rules as Kurt...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast