Karl Franz's Book of War - WiP Empire tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Karl Franz's Book of War - WiP Empire tactica

OK, so it appears work on this has been entrusted to me, so I thought I'd start with the primitive basics, and let people suggest what they'd like to see.
    Lords
    Arch Lector
    General of the Empire
    Templar Grand Master
    Wizard Lord

Heroes
    Battle Wizard
    Captain of the Empire
    Master Engineer
    Warrior Priest (JakeHunter52)

Core Units
    Archers
    Crossbowmen
    Free Company
    Halberdiers (Jakehunter52)
    Handgunners
    -Hochland Long Rifle
    (Draebersnegl)
    Huntsmen
    Knightly Orders
    Spearmen (Jakehunter52)
    Swordsmen (Jakehunter52)

Special and Rare Units
    Flagellants
    Great Cannon
    Greatswords (Jakehunter52)
    Helblaster Volley Gun
    Hellstorm Rocket Battery
    Mortar
    Outriders
    Pistoliers
    Steam Tank (JakeHunter52)

Special Characters
    Balthasar Gelt
    Emperor Karl Franz
    Kurt Helborg
    Ludwig Schwarzhelm
    Luthor Huss
    Volkmarr the Grim

Magic Items
    Magic Weapons
    Dragon Bow
    Hammer of Judgement
    Runefang
    Sword of Fate
    Sword of Justice (JakeHunter52)
    Sword of Power
    Sword of Righteous Steel
    Sword of Sigismund
    The Mace of Helstrum (SlayerofAsmodean)

Magic Armour
    Armour of Meteoric Iron (JakeHunter52)
    Armour of Tarnus (JakeHunter52)
    Bronze Shield
    Dawn Armour (JakeHunter52)
    Helm of the Ratslayer
    Shield of the Gorgon
    The Gilded Armour

Talismans (Talismen?)
    Holy Relic
    Jade Amulet
    Shroud of Magnus
    Sigil of Sigmar
    The Crimson Amulet
    The White Cloak

Arcane Items
    Crystal Ball
    Grey Wand
    Luckstone
    Rod of Power (Inquisitor Dracos)
    Seal of Destruction
    Wizard's Staff

Enchanted Items
    Aldred's Casket of Sorcery
    Doomfire Ring
    Icon of Magnus
    Laurels of Victory
    Ring of Volans
    Rod of Command
    The Orb of Thunder
    The Silver Horn
    Van Horstmann's Speculum (SlayerofAsmodean)

Magic Standards
    Banner of Duty
    Banner of Sigismund
    Banner of the Daemonslayer
    Griffon Standard
    Imperial Banner
    Standard of Arcane Warding
    Steel Standard (ArchonFarseerGuy)

And that's what we have so far. The format was blatantly plagiarised off Stonehambey (I hope that's OK) because I think it worked out really well last time. For those of you not familiar with this format, here is how it works:
    Red Text: I need love. Someone write me, please! I beg of you!
    Orange Text: I have a prospective writer who's name is written in brackets by my name.
    Blue Text: I've been written, and am awaiting proofreading.
    Green Text: I am completed, including proofing, spellchecks, double-checks and so on.

If you want to be guaranteed authorship of an article, post here or PM me, and I'll change the text to Orange, and include your name, etc. Otherwise you can just go straight ahead and write something.

Proofing is also something anyone can do. This involves checking for spelling, grammar, punctuation, loose stats etc. For now, I'll accept either UK/US/Aus English, though a decision to keep to the one may have to be made for the sake of consistency. For now, I'll be going with Aus/UK English, since it's the one I'm more familiar with.

And finally, remember that this is a community project. Anyone is welcome to post articles, and suggest new ones. As it is, several of these will probably get merged, and I know that some people have ideas that they want to write about/have already done. If that is the case, let me know, and I'll start adding categories.

-AFG//

Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; July 4th, 2009 at 02:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

YEAH! So happy! Ok, onto the article:

Halberdiers- Mainstay of the Empire

Strengths
    - Higher strength
    - Very inexpensive

Weaknesses
    - Low armour save
    - Mediocre weapon skill
    - Mediocre initiative
    - Mediocre leadership

Tactics/Roles

Parent Unit: These guys are meant to be offensive and should be played as such. Because of the almost non-existant armour save, mediocre weapon skill and low toughness, you can be assured losses, making the wounds you cause even more vital. Large units are the best, if not required. An interesting tactic that can be used is to take advantage of the Horde rule, take about 50 or so Haliberders to ensure you make it across the board and still have a full punch, throw in a Warrior Priest and maybe a lore of light or metal buff and you have a beast of a unit which is not only making Warriors of Chaos think twice but also very cheap. For the more practical, making sure that you have enough ranks to remain Steadfast is crucial and extending your ranks to 7 troopers is not a bad idea if you are in need of extra killing power and/or core requirements.

Detachment: Once again, these guys rely on an aggressive offence rather than static combat resolution to win the day but do so very well. They are most effective taken groups of 15 or more strong. They work even better on the flanks since your opponent won’t be getting the ward save for hand weapon and shield. Most importantly is the sheer number of S 4 attacks one of these units can dish out it comparison to the unit it is attacking. Even against a typical unit of Warriors, a flanking unit of Halberdiers will add 2 to your combat resolution (Warriors will kill 3~4, Halberdiers will kill 1, gain flank bonus and negate 2~3 ranks). Halberdier detachments will work equally well in a counter or support charge since they will both be counting as charging against the enemy unit. They work well with virtually any parent unit since they can act as a cheap guard for your ranged units or support for your close combat units. Just beware of allowing your detachments becoming below US 10 as they will lose a majority of their effectiveness.

Shields: Since halberds are two handed weapons, you will not use them while in close combat. You do get the the +1 save against shooting and magic, but because most spells are strength 4 or higher, the cost benefit will be to your disadvantage. You increase the cost of each model by 20% but against the standard 5+ d6 strength 4 spell, you will only save ~17% of the time. And unfortunately, unless by some magic you lose your halberd, you will not be able to use it in close combat. In short, don't get it.

Best Against: Low toughness and low armour save opponents are susceptible to halberdiers because those two factors enhance the unit’s strong points: wounding the target easier and reducing the armour save. Undead are particularly vulnerable to halberdiers because of their lower initiative and weapon skill value in addition to the above.

Worst Against: Warriors of Chaos and other high toughness, high save units will prove to be most troublesome. High toughness units are hard for Halberdiers because while it might be easier to wound them then their spear or sword brothers, they still require actual wounds to win the combat. Additionally, the Warriors of Chaos are not only harder to wound but because the armour save was so high to start with, the difference made is much less significant. However, there is a great testament to our state troops, who can tie up a unit which costs 50% more than our own for two rounds, giving us time to maneuver, set traps and the like (this will be discussed in detail later in the Empire tactics section). However, the next round is almost guaranteed to be a Warrior of Chaos win and so it should not be considered a winning solution on its own.

Characters: Warrior priests would be the most obvious choice. They give the unit hatred, which results in more hits and subsequently more wounds, but also additional leadership and the potential to become unbreakable. Wizards that can both act in ranged or close combat roles also act as good supplements to the unit. Captains also are a cheap way to add additional high strength attacks and higher leadership.
    Last edited by sirkently; November 6th, 2011 at 03:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Spearmen- Defenders of the Line

Strengths
    - High number of attacks from multiple models
    - Very inexpensive

Weaknesses
    - Mediocre weapon skill
    - Mediocre initiative
    - Mediocre leadership

Tactics/Roles

Parent Unit: Spearmen are the new future of the Imperial Core Trooper. 8th Edition has thrust them to the forefront of battlefield with new rules to their advantage. First of all is fighting in an additional rank, strengthening spearmen's main advantage: quantity of attacks. Next is gaining stubborn through having more ranks the opponent. This is very realistic and to our betterment, it allows us to mire the enemy in our endless numbers and then crush the life out of them with our knights (who fight in two ranks as well) and steam tanks. Taking large numbers for Spearmen is critical for several reasons. As stated above, you need it to gain Steadfast and to ensure you do not lose any number of attacks but most importantly, it negates initiative. It no longer matters if you go first or last so long as you are big enough to survive two rounds of combat, you will still have the same number of attacks, still be stubborn and getting those soldiers back next magic phase.

Detachments: Do not take Spearmen as detachments. Their special ability to fight in two ranks cannot be utilized by the counter charge or the support charge. Also, if the detachment is charged itself, it will most likely not be able to hold since it cannot take a command nor has the numbers to survive.

Best Against: Low toughness and low attack count opponents will be the easiest to win against. In true Empire fashion, Spearmen rely on numbers to overwhelm and that is the same case here. Generally, Spearmen will almost always hit on 4+ but to wound on a 4+ as opposed to a 5+ is a great boon to us because is hastens our ability to whittle our opponent down. Additionally, our mediocre stats can prove to be an advantage if we come across a highly specialized unit. These units are a real danger to high cost, high armour save units but against our Spearmen, they are overkill, wasting potential while we comfortably take advantage of being Steadfast, allowing us the opportunity to get them stuck in and then overwhelm them with shear number of saves they will have to make.

Worst Against: High toughness and high attack profile units will provide the worst opponents. Our ability to wound them will be next to nothing and in return, we will receive a high causality rate, one that we might not be able to recover from. This is why magic becomes near essential for our troops because this is most likely what we will run against in massed infantry blocks. We are but mere men facing against the monsters of the world. We must believe in the faith of our Priests, magics of our Wizards and technology of our Gunners.

Shields: It is practical to take them. They can be used in conjunction with the spear so they are helpful both in and out of combat, thus making it a cost-effective upgrade.

Characters: Warrior priests are can key for keeping it a linchpin of the line. Hatred has become so important with the increased number attacks in any given combat but also the ability to become unbreakable will ensure you become a dangerous tarpit. Wizards have become an essential choice since the Spearmen need their support but they are for the most part going to be sitting back on your line rather than in combat so as to continue casting. Captains also are a cheap way to add additional high strength attacks and higher leadership to continue your stubborn streak.

In addition, I was hoping to do articles on the Swordsmen and Greatswords as well....and maybe warrior priests and arch lectors if that isn't asking too much.
    Last edited by JakeHunter52; January 4th, 2011 at 04:34. Reason: New edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHunter52 View Post
    In addition, I was hoping to do articles on the Swordsmen and Greatswords as well....and maybe warrior priests and arch lectors if that isn't asking too much.
    I know I'd forgotten to add something! Out of fairness to everyone else, I'll allow for only one article to be reserved at a time, though with Magic Items, I'll be more lenient.

As to what else to add, here are some ideas I'd like to see:
    *Styles of Army List (Cav-heavy, Infantry spam, Gunline, Hybrid)
    *Kislev Allies
    *Maintaining an effective Shoot Phase (though this could be in the Gunline list)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonFarseerGuy View Post
    I know I'd forgotten to add something! Out of fairness to everyone else, I'll allow for only one article to be reserved at a time, though with Magic Items, I'll be more lenient.
    Good idea mate. Spread the love a little.

Also, I think Huntsmen need an article of their own. They are fairly different from archers.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Swordsmen- Blademasters of Karl Franz

Strengths
    - High weapon skill
    - High Initiative
    - Inexpensive
    - Shields are included in the cost

Weaknesses

- Mediocre leadership
    - Low strength

Tactics/Roles

Parent Unit:
    Swordsmen are built to be tough yet cheap. They have a weapon skill and initiative on par with an elf and multiple saves to boot. That makes them ideal for outlasting your opponent and using your static combat resolution rather than wounds caused to win the fight. Take units 25 or more so that way you keep staying stubborn and don’t panic easily. Because Swordsmen don’t depend on kills to win, they have an unmatched versatility in not being a dedicated offensive or defensive unit, especially when magic is thrown in the mix. Most detachments will work well with a parent unit of Swordsmen since they can play a defensive role but generally a detachment of Swordsmen works well with the strategy of winning through static combat resolution.

Detachments: Swordsmen also make excellent detachments because of their durability. Since they won’t be taking as many wounds as other units, they are more likely to maintain their number to negate rank and gain a flanking bonus.

Best Against:
    Swordsmen have the potential to overcome units worth much more than themselves if properly used with a Swordsmen detachment. However, because they rely on their static combat resolution, they are no better against a particular unit than any other. They will fair best against average units like skeletons and marauders, when the combat is a low wound combat. But don’t let this discourage you from attacking tougher units like Plaugebearers or Ironbreakers either, in fact Swordsmen do very well against these units since you never depended on winning through wounds anyway. Furthermore, it will not matter if you charge or are charged since the result will be the same, allowing you to make better tactical decisions and more options be available to you.

Worst Against: Once again, it is hard to pin a specific unit that Swordsmen do particularly worse against than any other. However, what does affect Swordsmen the most is the amount of wounds they take, so be wary of high strength and/or high number of attack models. Combined this with a unit with few ranks or are skirmishers will make your detachment less effective and probably will overcome your static combat resolution since the unit will be much more combat oriented and relies on wounds to win. But even in these dire situations, remember that your swordsmen can provide a valuable lynch pin. What this does mean is that you will have a chance to hold this unit which are a higher point value than your Swordsmen unit, long enough to set up for a flank charge with knights or the equivalent or maneuver otherwise vulnerable units.

Characters: Captains or Battle Standard Bearers would fit well here. They add additional combat resolution with their higher weapon skill, strength and attacks and give an increase in leadership. Wizards can also find these units as great casting bastions, since they can be played defensively. Warrior priests are not recommended for this unit however, since hatred is a significant benefit given by this character, Swordsmen cannot utilize it very well since they have neither a great number of attacks or strength to guarantee wounds. Warrior priests would be much suited to one of the other state troop units.

Ok, done with that one. Greatswords next please.
    Last edited by JakeHunter52; June 26th, 2010 at 19:39. Reason: New Edition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

I think you should let him continue I am enjoying his breifings I hope you come back and add more!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by wilddragon View Post
    I think you should let him continue I am enjoying his breifings I hope you come back and add more!!!!!!!
    He can. it's just that anyone can only work on one at a time, same as everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

I'm gonna go ahead and post a short article on Van Horstmann's Speculum, because its one of our best magic items. Hope you don't mind.

VAN HORSTMANN'S SPECULUM

Van Horstmann's Speculum is a magic item that allows the wearer to swap his own weapon skill, strength, toughness, initiative, and attacks with his opponent in a challenge.

The value of such an item is obvious when you compare the stats of Empire heroes to the heroes of other armies. It can be quite a shock to your opponent when your Warrior Priest beats down his Vampire Lord/Chaos Lord/etc.

This is an item that can change the tide of an entire battle if used effectively. Personally, I recommend putting it on a Warrior Priest or Arch Lector, because of their capacity to take magic weapons, their mediocre stats (which will be swapped to the enemy), and hatred. A Battle Wizard can also effectively wield VHS as he has even lower stats than a warrior priest, but he cannot take armor or effective weapons, which is why I recommend the warrior priest.

I also recommend using Hochland long rifles to take out the unit champions of the enemy unit. That way when you issue a challenge with the Speculum bearer, he can either accept with his character and get owned, or refuse and lose his character's attacks.

The limitations of this item are as follows:
    1. Your opponent still benefits from his magic items, you only trade your base statline.

2. This will probably only work once as in later games your opponent will be careful to keep his lord away from the bearer of this item.
    Last edited by SlayerofAsmodean; December 12th, 2009 at 04:13. Reason: Spellchecking - will show up Green now. -AFG// <battle wizard>
    You?! No!
    --Famous last words of Asmodean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rod of Power

The Rod's ability to transfer unused dice from one magic phase to the next makes this the best Arcane item available to an Empire player. I commonly use a Wizard Lord in most of my games, but this advice will work equally well for Battle Wizards. The Rod of Power gives your army greater long term flexibility during the battle than a simple Dispel Scroll or Power Stone at almost the same cost. Against magic heavy or power dice spam army set ups you will tend to forgo your own magic phase in order to "horde" dice to be transferred to your dispel pool. In the same vein against armies with poor magic defense you can really pour power dice into the pool by not having to use many of your dispel dice.

I always combine this set up with a Power Stone. The two items come in right at 50 points - perfect for a Battle Wizard as well as a Wizard Lord. In games against offensively weak magic opponents the 2 extra dice really gives you a chance to get your "big" spell when you need it. Against opponents with a stronger magic phase I've been able to use it to get out a "big" spell and still be able to save a die or two back to transfer to my dispel pool.

I'm sure some are asking about combining it with a Dispel Scroll. First, it's not an option for Battle Wizards because of cost. Second, while worth every point it doesn't combine as well with the Rod of Power because it doesn't give you the ability to transfer any dice to the power pool. The beauty of the Rod of Power is the flexibility it gives you in allowing you to load up in one part of the magic phase or the other.

Lastly I would advise never transferring more than three dice from one pool to the other and personally hardly ever go for more than two due to the roll required each time you attempt a transfer. That's pretty much the basics behind using this particular item. The number of variables make deeper analysis dependent on how the Empire and his opponent have set their armies up.
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; April 9th, 2009 at 23:54. Reason: Spellchecking. -AFG//

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast