Fast Empire army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    279 (x7)

Fast Empire army?

I was wondering how effective this army would be. You wouldn't really have any static combat res. Any tips or tricks to make this more viable?

The army would include 2 units of hand gunners and 2 cannons. Then it'd have 2 steam tanks. Captian on a Pegasus, warrior priest, mage, and possibly a walter. The rest would be knights. Probably either 2 core knight units of 5(or 1 unit of 10) and a unit of 6 IC knights.

That's pretty much it. Seems to have enough magic offense and defense. Also would be fast enough to most likely own the movement phase. The problem is I don't know how good this would be if I got stuck in combat.

Anything you'd swap around or change to make it a little more competitive?

US Master's Midwest Advisor.
    Come join me at my GT this September www.brewfestgt.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd drop the hand gunners- They can only fire-or-move, and even with teh creep rule, that won't be enough to keep up with a rapidly moving force Drop them for archers, which can fire and move as long as they don't march and start them at the front of your deployment zone.

I take it steam tanks are RARE choices, right? that would fill up those two slots so for your SPECIAL slots I'd go with pistoleers to make up for any punch the handgunners provided that the archers won't.

After that, it dpeneds on whom youa re going up against. If you are going up against an army that generally does not expect to be attacked, then do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The old Empire tourney lists used to be something along the lines of 2 steam tanks, karl franz on dragon, units of 10 HG's with LR's for your core choices, a mage with 2 scrolls, 2 cannons and the rest is knigts
    I Like Cheese

Stolen from People on the Interweb (c)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

My thoughts are that it will suffer against can-openers. There are some bad-assed characters out there that will brutalise knights. Mind you, a VHS should sort out those for the most part. Another reason to take HLRs, really.

One thing that I think will strike you as a dramatic contrast is how different to Chaos Knights our ones are. Whatever those guys charge will die. Meanwhile, we have to be a bit more specific about it.

If you have any Special slots leftover, I suggest taking a unit of Pistoliers. The amount of pain they can dish out is incredible, and their speed will be one of your greatest assets.

Now, to my experience with all-Cav lists. None. However, I have used a unit of 6 or so with a character on several occasions, and even a Captain can help out a lot, though a WP is recommended (Hatred and Prayers ftw). Said unit has served me very well in the past.

So yeah, be careful with the lack of CRes that you'll be getting - Knightly Orders aren't Chaos Knights. However, people have managed to get such lists to work, so I don't see why it can't for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on whom you are going up against and if it is blind deployment or not.

Assuming this guy is talking about putting his entire army at the front middle of their deployment zone....

If it were blind deployment, vs the Empire, i would probably opt for a somewhat off centered deployment line with my Skaven army, with my screening/sacrificial troops at the front, followed up by two BIG unit of clan rats (doubtfull but if I had an tingling he was up to something, i'd drop one for plague monks). Screaming Bell, Grey Seer, some other things.

I'd probably be a little suprised at this imperical army, but at the same time, think of a few ways to get past it too. Don't know it would not be what I expect.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

It could work. It could be mean as well, since there's no reason to actually take any kind of infantry. I'd go with minimum knights, maximum pistoliers, and some stanks. Just have fun with it. Really, if it doesn't do very well, that's not really a bad thing: most empire armies don't do so hot nowadays.
    My empire army is my "fun" army- 2/3 of my army is Free Company. Actually, they can cause some trouble for people, I once overran a Darkelf army with those guys.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truth be told, if I were using a non-Grey Seer led Skaven army, I'd be worried by such a huge Free Company army as it would probably equal mine in numbers and that's not good if you are Skaven.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

I'd drop the IC knights and get more regular knights. Definately need to fit in some pistoliers. IC take up a special and Empire really doesn't have special slots to spare, esp nor for more expensive knights. I'd maybe invest in some ways of dealing with terror/fear causers as well since your leaderhip is going to be 8 for the most part.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Agreed- drop the IC knights. Compared to other cavalry, that little stat boost for the points and the special spot really won't make them any more effective. Pistoliers are going to be your best regiment by far- maybe even more so than the steam tanks.
    I run a mounted army of Woodelves. The fast-cav rule really dictates my tactics. I spend 4-5 turns dodging enemy attacks and trying to draw his army into traps. Elven shooting is pretty miserable, being just bowfire and prayers. Empire Pistoliers have all the same benefits for fast cavalry, but they pack a punch in the shooting phase that makes most other armies cringe. I always grab a repeater pistol, sometimes I even go for a regiment of Outriders packing RHGs.

As for the success of my humble army of irishmen, they've had their good days. I've never faced Skaven, but I've smashed through a tribe or two worth of goblins, and even proved to be one of the first "average" armies in my group to go toe-to-toe with a Horde Vampire army.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post

As for the success of my humble army of irishmen, they've had their good days. I've never faced Skaven, but I've smashed through a tribe or two worth of goblins, and even proved to be one of the first "average" armies in my group to go toe-to-toe with a Horde Vampire army.
    Well built and generaled Empire can go toe-to-toe with almost anyone in the game in my opinion. This was one of the few well-written books in my opinion.

I think this cav-heavy list could have some problems. With most cav, the lack of staying power will always be a problem. Sure you hit hard on the charge, but there is such a thing called rubber-lance syndrome and you'll have a harder time in on-going combats where stubborn or fear-causing enemies start to shine. I don't know much about the steam tanks. I think on paper they are kind of gimicky (you either have an answer for them in your army book or you don't) and you either roll well with them or you don't. Once you get a few wounds on them, I think their roll is limited.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast