Decision Time - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision Time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decision Time

Hi i am new to warhammer and want to play either empire or brettonia. could you please give em an overview on how they play and what armies they have a good/rough time against.

Thanks

A fair fight, our 3 units vs. your 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yikes, that's a pretty broad request! Can you think of a more specific question?
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok,so i basically want to know what the armies specialize at e.g.(shooty, assaulty) and what other races they generally get a rough time from and ones they generally have an easy time against e.g.wood elves having a rough time from dwarfs. Hope that narrows it down.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The brettonians specialize in their Knights, that is their bread-and-butter unit. I think they still have the Field Trebuchet as their sole war machine. their infantry is very weak, although they have some decent archers. but their Knights are amongst the best in the game, right up with the Dragon Princes, Chaos Knights, etc.

The Empire Knights are solid but unspectacular. Lots of Infantry, some of it VERY good, good overall shooty units. Some of the best war machines in the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks that helped a lot
    ----------
    Any advice on which one would be a better beginner choice?

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

The Empire's biggest strength is in its flexibility. I can run a gunline tomorrow night against John's Dwarfs, an all-cav list against Doug's Skaven next week, and then an infantry horde against Caleb's WoC the week after.

The best newbie-friendly army of the two would likely be Bretts, as their point-and-click nature lets you have a decent amount of success whilst grasping the concepts of the game. That said, the Empire are good as well, because its an army that takes part in all phases of the game.

I'd suggest going with an army that you think you'll be willing to stick with for some time. If you like the look/playstyle/background of Bretts, go with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id have to disagree with FarseerGuy on bretts being the most beginner freindly. I am not a bret player myself, but 90% of my games have been against them lately.

With such few units and no staying power after the charge, one mistake can usually determine the end of the game. One misjudged charge, or a fairly decent magic phase can nullify a unit. Also with the long flanks of the lance formation, you have to be alot more weary about where they are charging them selves into. I cant count the number of times knights have charged into my saurus only to be flanked on either side, or how many times my opponents knights were just shy of charge range and lost the charge they so despretly need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,

a few years ago my friend and i wanted to start playing warhammer but it was months before either of our birthdays so we had no money to buy anything. also there were no gaming groups near us that played fb so we lost interest.

Anyway if i can persuade him to get back into it he would probably play orcs and goblins (though he might have changed).

since i would be playing him most of the time which army would have an easier time

i like the idea of a cavalry army with banners streaming behind them but i also liike the idea of massed ranks of infantry bristling with guns swords, halberdss etc. one thing that attracts me to bretts is the high armour save and something that attracts me to empire is that they will just keep coming.

one more question before i bore u, which army in your opinion is easier to paint as i just cant do it due to a hand that shakes like the ground in an earthquake!

thanks very much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Bretts are notoriously difficult to paint, because each knight is meant to have his own colours and barding, wheras with Empire things are pretty much all the same colours.

In terms of a starting army I'd take Empire. With Bretts you're stuck with one style of play, and if you dont like that then you have to start a new army. Wheras with the Empire you can just tailor your army to whatever suits you personally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

hmm about the newby-friendlyness there are 2 arguments in my oppinion:
    brettonian tactics are solid and easy to use, but the army is small and can probably not handle an aggressive enemy.
    empire army's big and solid, with many different tactics to try, but movement with such a big army is hard, you'll have to learn loads about how to move and deploy units before you'll be able to take on serieus opponents. but after that you'll have all options open for ya.

if i where you? i would go for empire, make a basic army first, play some games with different things and see what playstyle you like the best. after that expend your army to match your plastyle. you simply cannot go bad with empire. where as if you notice that you don't like playing with cavalry you're pretty much screwed starting bret...

that's the way i see things

vid.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast