How does your army grow? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

How does your army grow?

Okay, so I've been thinking.

I'm an experienced warhammer player, but I'm finding it tricky to get my head around the Empire as an army. I've dabbled with empire armies in the past, but I didn't have a great deal of success with them so they got left on the shelf (and, subsequently, sold).

The latest batch of models has inspired me to have another go at the army, but I've been having the same old problems with army building, namely that I find it hard to work out what unit works well with what, which units I want and which ones I don't, so-on and so-forth (I'm normally an elf player so I'm finding the comparatively average Empire 'elite' units to be extremely baffling). I'm trying to establish a process for developing a successful force, so that I don't rush out and buy a load of models that I won't use, so I'm wondering how other people do it.

For instance, do you start with a small force of a hero and a couple of core units, then gradually add a unit at a time to see what it does (so the army grows "organically"), or do you formulate a complete army and build it in one go, then see how it works as a whole (this would be more of a "clinical" process)? Is there a better way?

I should say, also, that I'm not looking to create a massively competitive tournament-winning army (I know how to make that one - *cough* KF on Dragon with 2 stanks *cough* ). In general terms, what I'm after is an overview of the army building approaches that people employ.

Thanks for any help.

V

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be playing most games at 2000 points? If so, I suggest getting a couple of buddies to help you decide what kind of army you like. Sub in your elven models for empire and try a couple of different lists.

Also what draws you to the empire? For me it's the warrior priests and core unit knights. So I created my "True Order of Sigmar". I find that making a themed empire army doesn't limit you as much as other armies do because our army don't come from one particular region (For example: Sword Masters of Hoeth, Dragon Princes of Caledor, White Lions of Chrace).

It's funny, I'm having a hard time going to high elves from empire....

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i usually do is buy a battle force and a hero (or scavenge and convert old bits) and see what units do what.
    then i play with a mate and say 'i am going to use this unit as this unit instead'. this way you can find out how good units are without spending money on them.
    if they work well buy/convert some.
    however i would recomend doing this at home with a mate since games workshop frown on this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Here is what I did, I chose empire about 9 years ago at least, and because they appealed to me the most for painting I went with them. I then did up a list at several different point values, 1000, 2000, etc. up to 8000 points(I am assembling the last 2000 points). I was lucky with my money at the time, and bought about 2000 points worth of models in about 3 days. And then just kept growing it and altering it with each new book that has come out, in accordance with what I already decided. I make my armies to look cool, not for winning.
    "To Triumph without Risk, is to Conquer without Glory!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

What I would advise you to do is start small (even the mightiest Runelord was once an apprentice). Go with a unit of Handgunners/XBowmen and a unit of 20 State Troops, led by something and maybe with a Special/Rare unit or two. Play a few games, and decide what one or two units would help out your army the most, and buy them. For example, if you get insanely outmanoeuvred, get a unit of Knights/Pistoliers. If your enemy bombards you with 17D6 S8 magic missiles each turn (*cough*DoC), get a Wizard or two, and so on.

After a while, you'll work out what style of list suits you best. It could be knight-heavy, gunline, infantry spam, some form of hybrid, or whatever. Once you get to 1500/2K, you should have an idea of where your collection is going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Hello. I had similar reservations about starting an Empire army. They have so many options and themes that I just couldnt decide. I was also a wood elf player first, so the armies couldn't be more different. But I love priests.

I just started my army and didnt want tons of models I wouldn't use, so I made several lists 1000, 1500, and 2000. Played a few games with proxies to make sure those units worked. Then I went to ebay.

Look into the two different battalion boxes (old and new). If you dont like greatswords get the old version which has pistoliers and a cannon/mortar instead. I always try to get the bigger box sets because they are slightly cheaper than buying each box. Also, check out thewarstore.com (20% off all GW stuff + only $5 shipping).
    "...and thee shall know the Emperor's might when thy enemies fall before thy guns. No crude Orkish blade can pierce thy anointed armor, nor any twisted alien resist the sting of thy sword." ~Major Kaelen Rhodes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

I can only convey how i made my army; I got really interested in Dutch history, specifically the Dutch Revolt (in Holland more commonly known as the 80 years war). That led me to empire and a specific, more modern empire army.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My empire army grew from the old warhammer boxed set and the batallion boxed set. I tend to use a lost of state troops combined with Knights and Pistoliers. I did not add stuff like flagellents until much later. Oh yea warmachines too. I Like it, it's sturdy and flexible. I cant do any one thing better than most armies out there but I can do several things well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DoomDiver View Post
    I cant do any one thing better than most armies out there but I can do several things well.
    My feelings as well, we don't do anything the best, we can just do most things well and we have a load of nasty surprises.
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread