Elector Count on Griffon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elector Count on Griffon

Well after long consideration I decided to get an empire army and I've been thinking about getting an EC on a Griffon. Just want some advice on what would be a good way to equip him and some tactical advice on how to run him or is it just not worth it. Thnx for ur help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never run with one yet, but I have the Karl Franz model and would love to use it. I would probably take him for a close combat 'Meat Grinder' or' Cav heavy' army. I would avoid using expensive magic weapons as the terror and griffon should take care of a few wounds, since he's your general, you need to preserve him and unleash him against specific targets that threaten you or you need to break.
    For Infantry army where he is more of a mobile reserve I would go with something like a Lance, shield with maybe Dawn armour or Gilded Armour, Shroud of Magnus.
    For Cavalry supporting a fast advance I would go for Lance, Pistol, Laurels of Victory, armour of meteoric iron.
    Cheese… milk's leap toward immortality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So only one person has advice on running a EC on a Griffin. Is he really that unpopular or is it thta no one has any advice on how to run him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mamba View Post
    I would avoid using expensive magic weapons as the terror and griffon should take care of a few wounds, since he's your general, you need to preserve him and unleash him against specific targets that threaten you or you need to break.
    I'd agree with this advice. He's more a hammer blow against a really aggressive enemy unit that won't budge against a State Troops and Knights combination (big unit of Chaos Knights or something along those lines).

It's a nice idea in principle, rarely see it executed in practice. I've always been of the notion that Empire characters are more there to improve units than to be singular unstoppable combat monsters. I wouldn't take him in anything less than a 2500pt game as at close to 300pts he'll probably end up hunting War Machine Crew and that seems a waste. Doesn't help that the model is awful, in my opinion.

Of course, if you're set on taking him by all means do so: I'd advise the Shroud Of Magnus as he will attract enemy magic and shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Griffons are thoroughly meh. T5 with 4 wounds and no save (but still a large target) is horrendously vunerable to missile fire.

If you want a flyer in your empire army I must recommend this Captain build;

Captain - Pegasus, lance, pistol, full plate armour, shield, doomfire ring
    150 points

It serves a completely different role (a harrasser, rather then the Dragon esk yet inferior Griffon) but is much cheaper, easier to hide, does not take a Lord choice and IMO adds alot more to the army.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

I used to run an ECG in my stirland army, and although it was alot of fun considering it was all state troops militia and huntsmen, the Griffon just didnt do much for me. Thats not to say it isnt workable, just maybe not as good as your other options.

O.k. so the EC is nice and cheap and the griffon for its potential is cheap but there are just so many things out there that end up munching the griffon, ignoring the guy on top because the Griffon is a weak target. Other than that missile fire means you're dodging shots untill at least turn 3-4 trying to get a charge set up which wont see you getting shot up on the way in. Also i found having a general near my troops more useful than flying off like in other armies as his Ld is very valuable for break or panic checks.

Go with kroxigors sugestion on a flyer, as a general i ended up taking the cheese chariot archlector as he is simply amazing for his points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, I gave options for E.C.G. but not my favourite to play. Capt. on Peg. is a good harasser of war machines and independent mages etc. ECG is more for a hard hitting, manoeuvring unit, but as mentioned very expensive.

Something I forgot to mention was that if you really want a hard hitting character killer then Runefang would be awesome, of course you are putting 400 odd points in one basket, but it'll be a basket full of Kill-y Death-ness
    Last edited by Black Mamba; February 20th, 2010 at 21:06. Reason: accidental repost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, I gave options for E.C.G. but not my favourite to play. Capt. on Peg. is a good harasser of war machines and independent mages etc. ECG is more for a hard hitting, manoeuvring unit, but as mentioned very expensive.

Something I forgot to mention was that if you really want a hard hitting character killer then Runefang would be awesome, of course you are putting 400 odd points in one basket, but it'll be a basket full of Kill-y Death-ness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry my computer froze up, re posted a few times
    Last edited by Black Mamba; February 20th, 2010 at 21:02.

+ Reply to Thread