Grand Masters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Masters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grand Masters

I was under the impression that if your army included a templar grand master you could include a unit of inner circle knights as a core choice. But Ive been looking through my army book & maybe im just tired but I cant find where it says that, can anybody give me a reference or page number? And if that is true, does it only apply if the grand master is the general, or if hes in your army period?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by astorre View Post
    I was under the impression that if your army included a templar grand master you could include a unit of inner circle knights as a core choice. But Ive been looking through my army book & maybe im just tired but I cant find where it says that, can anybody give me a reference or page number? And if that is true, does it only apply if the grand master is the general, or if hes in your army period?
    No longer true.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well there went that idea haha.... whats everyones opinion on knights & their role they will play once 8th edition is implemented? are we going to see them a lot less? or has their role just changed? will we see units 10 & 12 strong with full command instead of the 5 man + musician builds that are so popular now? im just not sold yet on my whole army being foot troops even with all the improvements to infantry. I still think a combined force is the most flexible, and fun, way to play, & empire has solid choices to be able to compete in infantry, ranged, heavy cav, fast cav, & my favorite artillery. i hope there will be no cap on the ammount of heros you can choose to fill the 25% hero slot. ill have a captain or two with no magic items in every unit, and 3 or 4 low level wizards for purely defense - buffs & dispelling. but now back to the drawing board as to who will lead my army!
    & thank you wolf pack, you always seem to help when i have dumb newbie questions lol....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by astorre View Post
    well there went that idea haha.... whats everyones opinion on knights & their role they will play once 8th edition is implemented? are we going to see them a lot less? or has their role just changed? will we see units 10 & 12 strong with full command instead of the 5 man + musician builds that are so popular now? im just not sold yet on my whole army being foot troops even with all the improvements to infantry. I still think a combined force is the most flexible, and fun, way to play, & empire has solid choices to be able to compete in infantry, ranged, heavy cav, fast cav, & my favorite artillery. i hope there will be no cap on the ammount of heros you can choose to fill the 25% hero slot. ill have a captain or two with no magic items in every unit, and 3 or 4 low level wizards for purely defense - buffs & dispelling. but now back to the drawing board as to who will lead my army!
    & thank you wolf pack, you always seem to help when i have dumb newbie questions lol....
    Warrior priests are a great medium inbetween captains and wizards. They are more resilient than wizards, while providing more magical defense and support than a captain. One warrior priest and a wizard with dispel scrolls is a good build for heroes.

As for cavalry, I would wait and see what the edition brings. The more I play them, the less upgrading to inner circle seems wortwhile for the purpose they serve in my army.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I think Empire has great basic troops (for the points), great shooting, the best fast cav in the game, pretty good magic, and the best artillery in the game...but the subject of this thread, the heavy cav...are way below average. They have the same downside as bretonians (a merely human statline), but none of the upside (well, except for lances and plate armor, which are common to all heavy cav, it seems).
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    I think Empire has great basic troops (for the points), great shooting, the best fast cav in the game, pretty good magic, and the best artillery in the game...but the subject of this thread, the heavy cav...are way below average. They have the same downside as bretonians (a merely human statline), but none of the upside (well, except for lances and plate armor, which are common to all heavy cav, it seems).
    Who else has plate armour? Chaos is the only thing that comes to mind.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that empire knights are pretty good for their cost, though I dont think I would ever use inner circle knights. I just think they will require greater numbers than before, and that their uses will change. Before I would use 5 with a musician, but in 8th I will use 12 to 15 and arm them with great weapons. Their only downside is their leadership, and in many battle reports ive read/watched, they sometimes flee off the table without taking many casualties. Getting a flank charge or using a banner to improve their combat resolution will be important. Ill have to let everyone know how well this works for me once the new rules come out, Im currently painting up my forces in anticipation!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack View Post
    Who else has plate armour? Chaos is the only thing that comes to mind.

...um, Bretonia? I'm not sure about VC or HE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    ...um, Bretonia? I'm not sure about VC or HE...
    Negative. Bretonia uses heavy armour. HEs/VC do not have it either.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Hmmm...well, it has been 11-12 years since I played bretonians, but I coulda sworn that they had plate...so only chaos and empire get heavy cav with a 1+ save? Well, I guess that makes empire kaniggits look a little better...but it's the S3/T3 thing that makes them a nonstarter for me...I love empire fast cav, but any "merely human" heavy cav leaves me cold.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast