Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I run HEs now, and I admit I win a *lot* with them. I want to start a second army, and with the reduction in shooting ability to HEs in 8th I decided to build a shoot-first army to complement them.
Having said that, I want a little chaos and uncertainty with the army, so artillery that scatters just for laughs. I've flipped through the store copy of the army book, but I have a few quick questions for all you Empire citizens out there:
1. Is the Brigade Box a good idea? It looks like a nice deal and all the units seem to be usable. I'd likely make the 40 state troops into swordsmen and have detachments of 10 greatswords and 20 handgunners.
2. I want crazy deadly scattering artillery. If I build the mortar out of the brigade box, what should I look at next? 2 Helstorm batteries maybe?
3. How many champs/heroes are Empire players running? I see no reason not to field a couple of cheap captains and warrior priests.
4. General Lord options seem to be all pretty good to me. Is the War Altar worthwhile on the Arch Lector in a shooting army, or should I be looking at an SC General maybe?
5. Am I going to hear complaints every time I bring out a Steam Tank? Should I just not bother with it?
I want to be able to roll out at least 2k points pretty soon, and it looks like I could do that with the Brigade, two or three hero blisters, maybe another under of crossbows/handgunners and one or two more pieces of artillery. Does that sound about right?
Any other advice to a newbie would be much appreciated!
1. Starting out, sure. Gives you some solid blocks of core that you will use/need, Greatswords to bust in towers with, artillery and Outriders to supplement with. Btw, Greatswords cannot be detachments. You will probably want to buy a Battalion box as well (not much use for the additional knights but you are still saving a couple of bucks) cause you are going to want to run your state troops in blocks of 25-30, your greatswords around 20 and the more Handgunners, the better.
2. Helstorm is definitely king of randomness. That and pigeon bombs...which are really good now.
3. Depends on what type of list you want. Stuff is cheap and you can have a lot of it. I run 2 lords (lvl 4 and an Arch Lector) and 2 heroes (BSB and Lvl 2) but thats because I want the additional magical options. Spamming Warrior Priests is in, taking Generals, even Engineers is cool. I can easily see taking 6 characters if you want to take full advantage of the new rules.
4. General is good for leadership and magic banners (out of the BRB imo) and being cheap. Altar? Why not both? Totally possible but maybe not practical. Altar lost a few things (can lose amazing casting ability), gained others (no longer insta killed w/ str 7). If you plan on using it to hit stuff already tied up with your blocks, would be worthwhile for gunlines.
5. Yes. But whatever, it's YOUR mechanical dragon and you got a right to use it. Besides, you can only use 2 if are at 2500 and they should be adequately prepared for stuff like that at that point level.
With the Brigade, you might be able to get yourself 1000pts out of it but for what you're looking for, more like 800. Thats why I say, go for the battalion and then maybe pick up a steam tank, a couple of warmachine, characters and then you should be good. Best of luck to you.
if you want to include alot of artillery you definatly want to include a engineer in your army, it gives you the ability to re-roll one scatter of artillery die per turn.
The war altar and steam tank are one of your best bets if you want to play a shooting heavy army, because your opponent can with some decent dice roll hit your lines on turn 2 and with a war altar and steam tank you can hold up those fast units.
I field a lvl 4 wizard and an arch lector, 2 warrior priests, a engineer and a BSB in my army. These heroes are there to boost my units and give me 4 dispel dice per turn for free.
DonÂ´t mess with the dicegod