Halberdiers: parent unit vs. detachment - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halberdiers: parent unit vs. detachment

Hey everyone,

I've recently started expanding my force to suit the new rules and have raised two new core units and am now wondering on my third. I've got 30 swordsmen and 30 spearmen with shields; recently I was talking to a guy at my local GW store and he said that he would never take halberdiers as as a parent unit, only as detachments and suggested another unit of spearmen.

So that's the framework for my question, do halberdiers make a good parent unit, or should they stay on the flanks in detachments?

Just to note, while I'm interested in hearing the different opinions on halberdiers, I'm also interested on suggests for my third unit, I've got the 3 boxes of state troops already so some suggests would be great before I start building them.

Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definately parent unit in big blocks. They are cheaper than swords so for 32 swords, you can take 40 halbs, and even then, halbs have better killablity. Big 7-10 frontage blocks of halbs with sword detachments is the way to go in 8th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they can be quite deadly as a detachment too. The opp wont be expecting them to cause as much damage as they do. A parent unit of swords can take the brunt of the attack with their better armour save, and the halberds can rack up some bodies unhindered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both really excellent points. I have a set of the old school state troops built as halberdiers that I'm using for my detachments; and I can see they're both good as detachments and parents.

So I guess based off that building my models as halberdiers would be a good move, unless anyone has anything else to offer?

Thanks heaps for the comments btw!

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Build them as something that you would like to use to replace those Spearmen. The fact that a GW employee told you to take spears is just mind-boggling. Our Empire spearmen don't do much anymore, and never really did. They can lay down a ton of attacks, but with S3 and practically no armor, they're going to lose combat every time.
    I've always run with Swordsmen in my parent units, because those big regiments tend to draw in a lot of attention from missile weapons and magic, and the extra armor is a godsend.
    Furthermore, your flankers aren't going to be taking on as many attacks. Your parent unit is going to be taking the enemy regiment on from the front, so they'll get their supporting attacks, spears, and Horde attacks against your boys. The Flankers don't have to deal with that. I would rather have a regiment that can weather 50+ attacks in the front, and a regiment that is simply good at dishing out damage working on the flanks.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically ditch the spearmen and build another unit of swordsmen for a parent unit?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I go with swordsmen parents and halberdier dets, as well...I'd not throw out the spears, I'd convert them to halberdiers...cutting off the spear tips and replacing them with halberds has got to be a lot less work and money than replacing the whole model!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, back to my original point... are halberdiers a BAD choice for a parent unit? If i'm using a few unit of swords for Parents with halberdiers, free company and hand gunners for detachments; a third unit with halberdiers as a parent with similar detachments is still a good move in 8th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, back to my original point... are halberdiers a BAD choice for a parent unit? If i'm using a few unit of swords for Parents with halberdiers, free company and hand gunners for detachments; a third unit with halberdiers as a parent with similar detachments is still a good move in 8th?

+ Reply to Thread