Lets have a discussion on Peg Captains and Lv4 Wizards..... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets have a discussion on Peg Captains and Lv4 Wizards.....

Ok.... So I have a game against Daemons tuesday and then will probably be playing Dwarves Sunday. It's a little irrelevant.... as I don't like to "tailor" my lists, I just keep playtesting the same list and make changes until I come up with the "greatest" Tilean-Empire list of all times!
    I played 2800pts today, basically just added a Steam Tank to my usual 2500pt list. Got a Minor Victory over Bretonnia.
    For the last 200pts I want to add a Captain on a War Eagle (I know... Illegal. However, my gaming group is pretty cool with the "Lion Chariot of Myrmidia" War Alter, and as her symbols are the Sun, the Eagle, and the Lion, we'll call my Pegasus a War Eagle). I want him to be as well rounded as possible. If I play Wood Elves, I need him to guard War Machines. If I play Dwarves, I need him to hunt War Machines. He also needs to be able to hold his own in combat. I've been thinking, do I give him VHS and stomp on some characters? Casket to steal spells? Crown of Command and make him be able to hold up whole units? Holy Relic to stay alive?? I don't know!
    Second question.... I've been kitting out my Lv 4 Life Wizard with RoP, Speculum, and Crimson Amulet. I just can't drop the Crimson Amulet... Even today when his unit got Dweller'ed it saved his life. However, the 6++ isn't saving him all the time and everybody is pretty much catching on to him having the Speculum. I want to drop the Speculum but I'm not sure he will be able to survive. Is there anything I can do??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~ I don't put my caster in a unit anyways...the consequences to the unit in the event of a miscast are too dire. What I do is put mine on a pegasus. That actually makes him pretty resilient against the usual warmachine/mage hunting units, and keeps him from killing off a unit in the process if his brain explodes. I also found that he makes a decent warmachine hunter interceptor. He intercepted a great eagle yesterday and eventually drove it away, since the pegasus and the great eagle are evenly matched (it helped that he was able to heal himself via lifebloom). So I'm loving the peg-wizard with lore of life. He's resilient against most things designed to kill solo characters and warmachines, can contribute to the defense of the warmachines, and not only avoids blowing up in the faces of a retinue by not taking one, but lifebloom does a very good job of canceling the S10 hit that is by far the most common consequence of a miscast.

As for a captain on pegasus...there are problems. He doesn't make the best VHS bearer because his statline is better than a lot of other characters. The statline that he hands out to people who are trying to kill him actually has a decent chance of doing so. A wizard, OTOH, is giving his opponent a single S3 attack. He does make a decent warmachine hunter. I'd give him the appropriate kit for a 3+/4++ and a great weapon. That basically means plate, relic, and greatsword. You can't give him the 5 point enchanted shield from the BRB because it costs 15 in our army book. Also, the greatsword is for use against what your opponent will send to kill the captain, not against the warmachine crew. You don't need anything better than a hand weapon against a warmachine in melee...but not taking a shield seems like a good tradeoff to give him a weapon capable of hurting enemy heroes and lords. Casket to steal spells isn't a terrible idea, but it does prevent you from taking the relic. Crown of command...blech. A pegasus captain has better things to do than tarpitting an enemy unit.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me more about a Pegasus Wizard.... How do you use them? How do you equip them? How do you keep him safe from shooting/warmachines? Any tatics you recommend?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Well, my peg wizard carries the talisman of preservation for a 4++. Shooters and war machines have to hit him first, then I get to choose whether to use the Wizard's statline or the mount's (since their toughness is equal...). Between the two, I have six wounds to work with (so if you shoot at me, and I choose to use the pegasus's statline, and you cause 2 unsaved wounds, your next unit's shooting is going against the wizard himself), and since my wizard uses the lore of life, T6 or T8 is but a spell away, and then, of course, there is lifebloom... The huge upside of running him this way is that it overcomes the downside (short range) of "dwellers" by letting me move up to 20" to get the target in range without dangling the wizard in the target's forward arc. He's really there for three purposes:

1. To attract attention, especially in the form of shooting that needs 5s and 6s to hit. People will often target the mage in spite of only needing a 4 or even a 3 to hit a different target, not realizing how resilient the mage is.

2. To miscast dwellers as often as possible (since lifebloom cancels the downside, most of the time).

3. To give me a +4 to my dispel attempts

Occasionally, I may additionally find that he's positioned and able to intercept a warmachine hunter short of my artillery park....but more often, it goes back to my first point, he's there to attract attention, and those warmachine hunters go after him instead!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    Well, my peg wizard carries the talisman of preservation for a 4++. Shooters and war machines have to hit him first, then I get to choose whether to use the Wizard's statline or the mount's (since their toughness is equal...). Between the two, I have six wounds to work with (so if you shoot at me, and I choose to use the pegasus's statline, and you cause 2 unsaved wounds, your next unit's shooting is going against the wizard himself), and since my wizard uses the lore of life, T6 or T8 is but a spell away, and then, of course, there is lifebloom... The huge upside of running him this way is that it overcomes the downside (short range) of "dwellers" by letting me move up to 20" to get the target in range without dangling the wizard in the target's forward arc. He's really there for three purposes:

1. To attract attention, especially in the form of shooting that needs 5s and 6s to hit. People will often target the mage in spite of only needing a 4 or even a 3 to hit a different target, not realizing how resilient the mage is.

2. To miscast dwellers as often as possible (since lifebloom cancels the downside, most of the time).

3. To give me a +4 to my dispel attempts

Occasionally, I may additionally find that he's positioned and able to intercept a warmachine hunter short of my artillery park....but more often, it goes back to my first point, he's there to attract attention, and those warmachine hunters go after him instead!
    You don't get to use both. You use the highest wound profile, as they make a single model since he is a mosntrous mount. You don't get to alternate your wounds.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK so if the Wizard dies the Pegasus dies as well? Do you randomize for shooting? What about templates and cannons? I have the rulebook but am still new so I dont want to get it wrong & cheat my enemy. So basically all the Pegasus does for him is he can fly and has 2 additional WS3 S4 attacks??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

captain on a peg with full plate, sheild is all you need. If you have points give him the potion of foolhardiness and the 5 point itme that gives him an armor reroll...

that means 2+ save and you get to go around smashing war machines, skinks, mages and other annoying stuff for just 110 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also dont forget that the pegasus gets stomp attacks...cuz i did till this weekend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had an interesting idea today as I was playing Kairos.... Why not give the Peg Captain the 5pt Magic Sword Warrior's Bane?? Most wizards, including 600+ point Kairos, only have one attack. All I would have to do is put one wound on their Wizard and he dies (attacks go to zero). I would also give him a Potion of Strength in case he runs into somebody real tough. And would still have 25pts left for Magic Items... Maybe one of the magic shields (Charmed, Enchanted, or Shield of the Gorgon) or the Dragonhelm. What does everybody think about that plan??
    For the Wizard, I am thinking Pegasus, Sword of Might or Swift Striking, VHS, and Talisman of Preservation (the 4++ item, as my BSB already uses the Holy Relic). Maybe a better build is Rod of Power, White Cloak (or Armour of Tarnus), and Casket of Sorcery. Pretty mean right??

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack View Post
    You don't get to use both. You use the highest wound profile, as they make a single model since he is a mosntrous mount. You don't get to alternate your wounds.
    You may be right that I don't get to use both (it hasn't come up in game yet), but it has come up (to my detriment) that the pegasus is in fact not a monstrous mount (much better rules for true monsters!). Since the pegasus is a monstrous beast, not a monster, he and the wizard form a one-model unit of monstrous cavalry. The way I read the rules for monstrous cavalry, I use the entire statline of the profile with the higher toughness value when I'm being shot at. Since the pegasus and the wizard are both T4, I see no reason why it's not my choice which one to use. And if I do get to choose because of the tie, I see no reason why I have to choose the same way every time. Hence, I should be able to choose (at the time that the model is targeted, not after I know how many wounds!) based on which profile currently has the fewest wounds and my estimate of whether or not the shooting attack in question is likely to be fatal (obviously, in that case, I'd dump the shooting attack into the mount in order to save the wizard!!!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast