FC
10 archers
10 free company

-5 Vanilla Knights

-5 Pistolliers

-5 Outriders

-1 Mortar

Total 1000pts exactly ;)

The idea is to sit my infantry fat in the center of the field. The pistolliers and outriders will stay together and swing wide on a flank with the knights on the opposite flank. I don't plan on getting the knights into combat on the flank by themselves, they are a distraction really. The pistolliers and outrides will shoot up war machines and generally be a nuissance. The archers will screen their parent halberdiers from the much-expected gunfire from the dwarves. The Capt on the pegasus will stick around the knights and pick targets of opportunity; gunners, war machines, etc. What does everyone think?

See less See more
#2 ·
This should be in the army list section really... Mod move maybe?

Against dwarves:

I'd either try to out-gun them. Using crossbows over handguns (range = good against enemies that will likely just sit in a corner), and spam cannons and mortars. Maybe a Helstrom Rocket Battery. No rocket batteries (duh).

Or go cavalry fantastic spastic! Get in there with knights, supported by a few pistoliers, and maybe outriders. Hopefully only allowing them a single turn of shooting before hitting them like a ton of bricks.

I have a hard time against dwarves, so I'd be going either one of those if I were you.

If you're using combat detachments (the free company) I'd go for 15. But to do that you need to have 30 Halberdiers. Which coincidentally I would have too.

At the moment, with that list, I just see you getting shot to bits and pulled apart piece by piece. Going in with pistoliers and outriders, they will focus on them first. kill them. Then your knights and captain, who should be charging in at the beginning. And lastly your infantry. At the moment you're army is caught between the two ideas. But i would focus on a single one first.

#3 ·
Its also noy that good an idea to screen using troops that are just as expensive as those that they are screenibg you would probabley better spend the points on the halberdiers in expectation of loosing some men to gun fire.

Also as has already been stressed a drwarf player will nearly always have a heap of artillery and ranged units and will just sit back. Their strength is in staying power, toughness and some of the best shooting in the game but they are slow. You can compete as your men of equivilant BS are nearly as good but a fair bit cheaper. By loading up on cannons, mortars and either handguns or better yet crossbows you can outgun them and force them to come (very slowly) to you.

#4 ·
The advantage of the archers screening the halberds is that they are smirmishers so if the dwarves target them they are at -1 to hit. If they target the halberds through them (using true line of sight) they are at -2 to hit for intervening models. I use units of 5 archers to screen my halberds and greatswords to great effect, well worth the 40 points although maybe not in a 1k game.

I played against dwarves this weekend 2.5k game and won by a 500pt margin. Was a good game and I mainly won due to having better luck with my war machines than my opponent. I used rocket battery, volley gun and a cannon. My cannon targetted his war machines while the rocket battery and volley fun (type intended) blew chunks in his units. By the time I had got to his side of the board the dwarf units were in no condition to deal with my combat units, especially with a lucky time warp IF on my greatswords. Lore of light is priceless.

I hope some of this helps, and also, I agree with what was said. At 1k you can't afford to split your forces types.

#5 ·
yeah, exactly like lexicanium said. at at game this size, you can't really afford to split your army in two. in 2k, you could push for a riding contingent supported by a number of cannons and mortars.

and archer screens are definitely worth it against shooting heavy armies, again though, at larger points they're more effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.