Need advice with conversion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need advice with conversion

So I'm theming an empire army around stirland (I'm a sucker for fluff and even more so for the underdogs). My army is led by an empire general on griffon armed with dragon bow and silver horn as well as full plate armour, shield and dawnstone(strength 6 bow shots on bs5 models are fun, and i figure the horn might be useful since I'm going to try lore of life over light). I think this setup suits him better than a fancy weapon, a mere great weapon will be his melee wep.

I'm aware griffons are not optimal, no advice needed on that front, what I wanted to know is if there are any sprues that you know of that have a bow or horn that would look kind of cheap and poorly made that i can fit onto the empire general. I'll probably have to buy a general seperately (the plastic kit seems the best for converting) and I need a good looking bow and horn to put on him.

The horn should ideally look like a hunting horn. The bow should be simple but stand out from that of my archer and huntsmen units.

Last edited by lexicanium; November 16th, 2010 at 14:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

First off, nice choice on stirland. I love those lice-infested, down-on-their-luck farmers!

Though I do find the idea of a stirland captain owning a griffon a little odd. There some corruption and racketeering going on?

I've found horns are really easy to just sculpt yourself. Make the basic horn shape with a bit of greenstuff. and just, very carefully and slowly put in a little detail to make it out as a horn. Use a file on the larger end of the horn to make it flat, and snip off just a little on the other end. voila! horn.

Well, yeah you'll be having heaps of archers, so I can imagine that there would be a few spares lying around. A dragon bow, when I think of that I imagine a bow painted as if it's made of magma, or is on fire. But if you want it to convert it, You could lengthen it a little with green stuff, or make it wider. Add on some trinkets from a bits box. And I just thought of an idea, using the empire wizard kit (you said you're using lore of life) maybe use the flame off of the fire wizard's sword and sculpt it onto the bow. and there are plenty of things to use in that sprue.

Hoping that helps.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal_God View Post
    First off, nice choice on stirland. I love those lice-infested, down-on-their-luck farmers!

Though I do find the idea of a stirland captain owning a griffon a little odd. There some corruption and racketeering going on?

I've found horns are really easy to just sculpt yourself. Make the basic horn shape with a bit of greenstuff. and just, very carefully and slowly put in a little detail to make it out as a horn. Use a file on the larger end of the horn to make it flat, and snip off just a little on the other end. voila! horn.

Well, yeah you'll be having heaps of archers, so I can imagine that there would be a few spares lying around. A dragon bow, when I think of that I imagine a bow painted as if it's made of magma, or is on fire. But if you want it to convert it, You could lengthen it a little with green stuff, or make it wider. Add on some trinkets from a bits box. And I just thought of an idea, using the empire wizard kit (you said you're using lore of life) maybe use the flame off of the fire wizard's sword and sculpt it onto the bow. and there are plenty of things to use in that sprue.

Hoping that helps.
    Love the ideas for the bow, will give that a try I have no experience of green stuff so that will likely be a problem with the horn. I might give it a go though, would be helpful to learn some time.

The griffon was captured by my general himself, Roberto Vladermiester while but a young pup was brave even then. He and his ward were scorned heavily by his father but he was not prepared to attempt a return of the stirring egg and thus elected to keep it. While the griffon is still young compared to it's kin, it is already ferocious in battle. Since his father's death the griffon has been moved from a hidden country farming estate to the family hold and is kept in the courtyard of the 'castle' or noble hut as the people of other provinces have often jested.

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Greenstuff really isn't as hard as you'd think. I have near to no experience with it, and I was able to build my brother an Ogre Butcher conversion (apron). You just work with it slowly and it's not too hard. Use a wet tool (pins, little hobby knives, etc) and just work with it slowly. Building up as you go. I built the horns from left over greenstuff I had, you just mould it in your fingers for something like that. And yeah, it's a good skill to have.

Woah, nice fluff (Oh God, did I just say "nice fluff"? -walks away to shoot self-). Well, I guess that works then. Good luck with it all!
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

If I remember correctly, the Beastman Gor/Ungors carry horns made of rams horn. That should work nicely, and the bare arm might even be a cool touch to your character. For a bow, I'd just go with a normal Empire bow along with some baubles and shiny bits to make it look magical, maybe even tribal (ancient heirloom passed down from the time of Sigmar)

I'm liking the fluff by the way. I'm guessing Cannibal God's not much of a fluff person. Shame on him, lol.

GS really isn't that difficult, and once you learn a little about it, it makes life so much more interesting. I just knocked out a $30 Hellcannon for my WoC army using a bit of GS, a mortar, and a Spawn. Looks champ, and I've never tried anything that large. Fire is especially easy, just sculpt a "fin" where you want the fire, then cut and pick and pull at it with a pair of modelling snips until you have what looks like fire. Cut free a few triangles and reattach them somewhere else to beef it all up, and use a pick to put a few little lines into it for texture. Blending can be done with a wet finger or edge of a wet hobby razor. No fancy tools required, much to the consternation of my fellow hobbyists.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

Cool stuff. Personally, I don't agree with having your general frolicking around on the battlefield on his pet but I guess it is his griffon. Speaking of which, you might be interesting in taking the Island of Blood griffon and converting it for your own use. I plan on getting me one for christmas as to make a proper looking Karl Franz. What are you going to be using for your normal troops? Free company? Peasants? Sounds quite characterful to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the griffons typically come from the mountains on the borders of Stirland and I presume you don't mean to insult the emperor karl franz with your statement regarding frolicking because he frequently 'froliks' around on his pets!

The army is a bit mixed really. It contains some professional troops, equipped by the General himself. It also includes bowmen, a block of militia foot troops and a unit of the knights of the sacred scythe. I'm thinking of creating a seperate thread to show my army's theme or fluff in full detail with pictures etc but I suspect the fluff forum would be more appropriate than here I admit openly that it isn't as fluffy as it potentially could be, but I want it to put up a reasonable fight also and I have a bit of a thing for variety of units in my armies. I'll link the fluff thread shortly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1764606

There, that's the background that I've come up with so far. Don't judge too harshly, It isn't finished!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

How about the High Elf Dragon Lord kit? That has a nice looking bow AND a dragon horn...

I bought some of these bits as spares only yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    How about the High Elf Dragon Lord kit? That has a nice looking bow AND a dragon horn...

I bought some of these bits as spares only yesterday.

Alot to spend on 2 componenets though and I don't know any high elf players to give the remainder to :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast