Outriders - modeling and playing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outriders - modeling and playing

I have a growing Empire collection, but I haven't created a cohesive, 'final' army list yet. Reading over the rulebook some more, the Outriders have really started to catch my eye. They fit in with my 'gunline' approach that I'm leaning towards for my list, and they seem like a good unit with some good modeling opportunities.

First, the game play discussion:
    For a 2500 point list, I was thinking of taking three 10 man units of Outriders with full command and a Hochland Long Rifle. They are cheaper than Handgunners for the amount of shots they put out, have a 5+ save, are maneuverable, have a Vanguard move, and better BS. If my opponent hangs back a couple inches, I can use my Vanguard move to get to shoot at him if I go first. The fast cavalry ability is nice, and I should be able to avoid any combats that I don't want to be in. Is upgrading to barded warhorses for the 4+ save worth the 2 extra points and loss of fast cavalry?

Modeling discussion:
    I was thinking of modeling them dismounted as that seems to be the 'realistic' way that they would fight on the battlefield like the mounted rifle cavalry that the US used during the various wars with the Indians in the 1800s. This would provide a unique modeling opportunity and hopefully save some cash. I was thinking of using one of the 'bitz' places to order the Outrider arms, and then modeling them onto normal Empire plastic foot troops. They would be mounted on a normal cavalry base to keep things accurate with regards to actual game play. I could then either place some 'decorative' horses behind the unit, or I could squeeze them in behind the dismounted Outriders on the same cavalry base. I haven't looked around, but I'm sure I can find some cheap horses from another manufacturer that I can use. Thoughts on my modeling idea?

"Ten thousand thundering typhoons!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

the modeling idea sounds cool but for game play reasons i would keep them mounted, i know that they would still be "counts as" but you losse the LOS you get with a taller model.
    5000 Pts of Undeath descend upon you....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Luyp View Post
    the modeling idea sounds cool but for game play reasons i would keep them mounted, i know that they would still be "counts as" but you losse the LOS you get with a taller model.

Raise the bases to get the required height for true LOS, maybe a base sloping backwards

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

I was thinking of doing the same thing in my army. Except that I would likely just not include the horses on the models. I'd use the cloaks that outriders wear to show what they represent, but I wouldn't feel like you need anything more than that.

As for the barding, I think it depends on how you plan on using them in the battle.

And the raised base sounds like a really good idea,
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I like the raised base idea, too...but I wouldn't have the outriders standing around. It would be a much greater modeling challenge, but a mix of crouched and prone models, one with a spyglass, perhaps, conveys the scouting nature a lot better.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try putting two foot figures and one horse on a 50 x 50 mm base.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Here's another thread from about 2 years ago where someone modeled their Outriders on foot for a Mordheim game. Not sure why it didn't get replies, but don't reply now- serious Necroposting there.
    Unmounted Outriders Conversion

Anyways, it sounds like a cool idea. I have an army in mind that's going to be heavy on conversions, and I'm thinking this Outrider thing could be quite fun. To that end, I'd go with the 50mm bases with 2 gunners and a horse, and then have your Champion mounted, maybe with a saber and a spyglass or something. That way you have another 25mm base for any odd-numbered units which show up.

Cannibal- I'd make sure to keep the horses on the models. There's not much difference between a regiment of Handgunners and a regiment of Outriders. I would atleast have some horses around just so that your opponent remembers that they are a cavalry regiment, and move as such. Besides, even with raised bases, you'll need the horses for height.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; December 2nd, 2010 at 23:42.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162 (x3)

I'm planning on having them with the Outrider cloaks, they're the only units in the army that wear that sort of gear so confusion will be minimal, and an entire unit armed with repeater handguns is going to stand out too. I'm planning on converting the bases heaps, with rocks and logs so they'll definitely stand out to the rest of my army with the standard sand and static grass bases.

I'd rather the cool look/fluff than having the advantageous height. I'd settle for the worse height and just explain it to my opponent.

The army isn't for tournament use or anything, just my mates and I.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

129 (x8)

I think that spending 2 points on barding and losing fast cav would be a horrible idea. You have so much more use of them if they are quick and flexible, survive by staying out of trouble I'd say.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

+ Reply to Thread