Need help, what to buy!? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help, what to buy!?

Hi guys!

I recently started collecting and playing empire, and i've collected a nice group of soldiers, but now i don't really know what to buy next to get my army to the next step.

So far i have:

1 General (mounted)
    1 BSB (on foot)
    2 Mages
    1 Warrior Priest

2 Cannons
    1 Mortar
    1 Steam Tank

29 State Troops (20 Swordmen, 9 halberdiers)
    28 Handgunners
    10 Flagellants
    20 Greatswords
    5 Outriders
    5 Knights

So what do you guys suggest to buy next?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Looking at what you have i would get my hands on some more state troops to build up a solid core of troops (spears halberds or swordsmen) and allow you to field more detachments. If i am taking a unit of great swords i like them to have a 2 big block units in support about 30 strong each, maybe with one or two detachments depending on what points i have to play with.

If you were taking knights i would only take them with a musician at 5 strong with no other upgrades and no character acompanying them. if you want to use them as a hammer and not just war machine hunters i would bulk this unit out but dont go overboard on it just yet unless they will be the main protagonists of your force.

Another option may be some crossbowmen. Their longer range over the handgun may lack the armour piercing but can come in handy when you need to force your enemy to back off or come forward when they intended not to. I know Archers used to be good in 7th with skirmish but with 8ths new rules i havent given them much thought.

It may be worth looking at a hellblaster. just to ad some punch to your handgunners.

Hope this helps a little. i would start first on more state troops and detachments.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Definitely more state troops. 9 halberdiers isn't enough for a detachment anymore, you probably want at least 12, if not 15, and of course that means 25-30 for the parent regiment. You also want more than one such regiment...so I'm saying at least 40 more state troops. After that, maybe an engineer to babysit artillery, and maybe a second mortar? Another priest, for sure...you want to be generating at least 3 bonus DD, so you'll want an arch lector. He doesn't need to be on a walter, he can just be run as a regimental commander. After that, maybe build the greatswords to 25-30 models strong. 20 is the bare minimum unit size for them to be worth fielding.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

You have enough to start playing smaller games already. I would look at adding models to your regiments so that you can play larger games. That would mean buying more Swordsmen (you want about 30 in a State regiment at 2.5k) and more Flaggies and Knights.
    I would play a few of the smaller games, around 2k, to see what stands out in your army, and then move forward from there. For example, if you wanted to play my army, you'd need another STank and a bunch more Handgunners. But I don't know if that's what you're in to. Work your way forward.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Pistoliers would be a great addition to your force. Small, mobile and able to move and shoot, which the Outriders can't do. With the Vanguard movement, these are great for getting quickly to enemy warmachines, or hunting down groups of lightly armoured scouts.

Cheers,

Zutta
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I'd bulk up the regiment of Knights. But failing that you can't go wrong with more State Troops.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zutta View Post
    Some Pistoliers would be a great addition to your force. Small, mobile and able to move and shoot, which the Outriders can't do. With the Vanguard movement, these are great for getting quickly to enemy warmachines, or hunting down groups of lightly armoured scouts.

Cheers,

Zutta
    The only thing is that the enemy warmachine is very resistant to pistol fire...and in melee, the warmachine crew's statline is similar to that of the pistoliers, so the only thing you have going for you is a 3-1 numbers advantage (when you count the horses' attacks). I miss being able to ride up and shoot the warmachine crew!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree - it can be a risky business charging a war machine crew. Considerably less risky than standing in front of it shooting at it, though. The Pistoliers also get their 5+ save, which has saved them from many a goblin crewman.

I miss the Fusillade days as well.

*sigh* good times....

Zutta
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

+ Reply to Thread