Is it even worth building Pistoliers?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Is it even worth building Pistoliers??

So, I have my Empire army sitting on a shelf, waiting for the day that I sink $400 into the models that I want to build my next Empire project from. However, I was thinking about Pistoliers, and I realized that they're hardly worth it anymore. Here's why:

1. No more 'fusilade' rule: if I'm right, we don't get the crazy 2x S4 attacks anymore. Just one S4 on the charge. Not much better than a Light Cav regiment with Spears huh?

2. 6" range means that we're pretty well doomed when it comes to being fast cavalry. Sure, we can ride up in front of someone's face and blaze away, but if we're charged, there's no way that we're going to be able to flee and live. And pistols are Move-or-Fire, so we're not going to be riding up, reforming, blasting, waiting for the enemy to reform, then riding away and doing it to another regiment.

3. Outriders have made this unit obsolete, entirely.
    Outriders have enough range to stay out of charge range on the turn that they ride towards a unit and reform. The enemy reforms, moves, and takes at least a volley before the Outriders move on to the next target. They're still Fast Cav, so they can still flee and rally, they put out more shots at a longer range, and they're better at their job!

So I have to ask- does anyone still use Pistoliers? And why?

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Pistoliers every game.

I use them as a 120 pt throw-away unit using Vanguard to get them within striking distance of war-machines, but where they can't be charged. If I get the first turn, then the unit can close and shoot the warmachine before charging it on the next turn. If I don't, then my opponent has to direct magic/shooting at them, which will probably kill them, but that leaves the rest of my army with less to face. And if they are taken down to 2 models, they are relatively easy to hide to deny points, due to their Fast Cavalry movement.

4 times out of 5, my Pistoliers eliminate something of more value (actual or tactical) than themselves.

According to the BRB:

- Pistols are Quick to Fire, so no penalty for moving and shooting.
    - Pistols are not Move or Fire, so you can shoot them every round, after moving 16 inches (Fast Cav can march and fire).
    - Pistols have a 12" range, so if you park the Pistoliers 10-11 inches away from your target, then you should be able to flee by a safety margin of 2 inches on average from the fastest cavalry.
    - Pistols in combat are Str as User, so S3, not S4.

Is there an FAQ that has changed this?
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Zutta is right. Captain, you must have totally misunderstood the concept of the Pistolier. They are not really that comparable to the Outriders, as the Outriders provide something entirely different than the Pistoliers.

- Pistols are Quick to Fire, so no penalty for moving and shooting.
    - Pistols are not Move or Fire, so you can shoot them every round, after moving 16 inches (Fast Cav can march and fire).
    - Pistols have a 12" range, so if you park the Pistoliers 10-11 inches away from your target, then you should be able to flee by a safety margin of 2 inches on average from the fastest cavalry.
    - Pistols in combat are Str as User, so S3, not S4.
    This is how they work.

- Tash

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Wow, I did really misread and forget some stuff then! I can still see how Pistoliers are useful- which is good, as like I said, I have several of them just lying around waiting to be played.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Good luck using them, man.
    I actually like the Outriders better, as my Pistoliers usually get shot up on first round when Vanguarding

- Tash

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I actually like the Outriders better, as my Pistoliers usually get shot up on first round when Vanguarding

- Tash

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

- Tash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To fair, we ALL miss the Fusillade rule. That made for some awesome do-or-die charges from my Pistoliers.
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    1. No more 'fusilade' rule: if I'm right, we don't get the crazy 2x S4 attacks anymore. Just one S4 on the charge. Not much better than a Light Cav regiment with Spears huh?
    Actually, if you read to their equipment, they have not just pistols, but a BRACE OF PISTOLS. This means that not only are they quick to fire (and thus no move-and-shoot penalty) but they also have multiple shots (2) in shooting. So you do get your 2x S4 shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai View Post
    Actually, if you read to their equipment, they have not just pistols, but a BRACE OF PISTOLS. This means that not only are they Quick to Fire (and thus no move-and-shoot penalty) but they also have multiple shots (2) in shooting. So you do get your 2x S4 Armour piercing shots.

I thought Pistoliers were only "meh" too, but once I actually read over what they did, I now think their the best things since sliced bread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast