Prayers of Sigmar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prayers of Sigmar

I'm just wondering what where and when you guys normally use the prayers.

Though I'm particularly interested with where and what you use the Hammer of Sigmar on. Personally I haven't used it yet in the few games that I've played (and I feel quite dumb for missing the opportunities) None the less, I was considering using it on my Hochland rifle snipers to give them a better chance at taking out characters but is there any possible way of casting the Hammer of Sigmar on a war machine??

I was also wondering if you feel its worth using the power dice to cast the 'remains in play' prayers during the first two turns of combat especially if you could use those dice for other magic. (I know this last questions is really a depends, but please discuss)

Thanks for your advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I'm pretty sure Hammer of Sigmar doesn't work on war machines, so targeting HLR-toting models is always a safe bet.

As for the remains in play spells, I find making a unit Unbreakable on turn 1 usually means that by the time you're in combat your enemy has forgotten about it (and might even have charged you with something that otherwise would have stomped you in combat), giving you a tactical advantage for at least a turn or two.
    "I like your style. You make up your own rules, just like me. Bean counters said I couldn't fire a man just for being in a wheelchair. Did it anyway. Ramps are expensive." - Cave Johnson, Portal 2

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

The main benefits of the prayers, aside from what each of them really does, is that they're cheap to cast, and a miscast has negligible consequences. So the best thing to do is save them for the end of your magic phase, when you have 1-2 power dice left and the enemy is probably out of dispel dice, so you can cast a prayer or two on the cheap with no chance of being dispelled. The added benefit of that, if the prayer is RiP, is that the enemy will be motivated to use power dice to dispel it on his turn, amplifying the effect of the priest giving you bonus dispel dice.

As for the prayers themselves...I like the idea of the hammer on a HLR gunner. I'd also put it on a WP with a great weapon. The 4+ invulnerable save prayer is AWESOME for protecting a BSB...I give my own BSB plate, magic shield, and a mundane banner so he gets a 2+ save, and then put the 4++ invul prayer on him. This frees AoMI and ASS for priests to wear, they really need something better than heavy armor and shield (4+), and the magic armor negates the need for a shield, allowing you to give them great weapons. At the same time, I don't have 4++ wargear to spare (holy relic and tal-pres), those go on mages. The unbreakable prayer is pretty sweet on a unit of staties, on a swordsmen unit, it makes them live forever! The healing prayer is nice to spruce up a mage who got stupid and miscast a spell, or to keep the BSB alive. The damage prayer is actually the least useful, you can get better results with offensive spells from a proper mage...I guess it's not too bad if you're stuck in with some undead or daemons, though....just a little situational.

Anyway, the best spell is the invulnerable save spell, followed by the healing spell, and then the hammer. I'd put the unbreakable spell at the top, but it's ALWAYS going to get dispelled, so unless you're putting it out there to force a dispel (especially with power dice), it's really a waste of effort.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With some of the nastier spells needing lots of dice, casting the Unbreakable spell can be really useful. They will always throw 2 dice at it, so if you have it in play, and they roll 5 or 6 dice, it can really put a dent in their plans for the turn if they have to dispel it.

From memory, Hammer of Sigmar does not specify that it only re-rolls a models' wounds made from melee or shooting, so cast it on a Mage and re-roll his spell wounds. Or on a Master Engineer with pigeon bombs. Re-rolling S4 hits on a small template can result in a lot of hurt.
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zutta View Post
    From memory, Hammer of Sigmar does not specify that it only re-rolls a models' wounds made from melee or shooting, so cast it on a Mage and re-roll his spell wounds.
    Try that in a game, and you're likely to have the BRB thrown at you...if, indeed, it hasn't been FAQed. (edit/it has been FAQed to say that hammer of sigmar does indeed work on mages casting spells...amazing!) Using it on an HLR sniper is legitimate (I was thinking on a captain using the dragon bow), using it to increase the effectiveness of a magic missile...is more than a little cheesy, and certainly not what the author intended. Does it specify that it has to be cast on a character ( vaguely recall it saying something like "characters, including unit champions" are appropriate targets...)? Casting it on a helblaster would be nasty, and just as inappropriate. The bit about the pigeon bombs is sneaky, but I don't think it's any less legal than applying the effect to an HLR or a dragon bow.
    Last edited by Marnepup; May 5th, 2011 at 22:58.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup - it can only be cast on Characters or unit Champions, so no Warmachines. But the Mage option has always been there. Makes things like Fire, Heavens and Death Wizards extremely brutal.
    The careful application of terror is a form of communication in itself - Zutta Law #4.

+ Reply to Thread