Militia Kits. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Militia Kits.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Militia Kits.

Does anyone else think these kits are bloody fantastic? For 20 Pounds you get 20 blokes who you can arm to either be Great Swords, Halberdiers, Crossbowmen, Archers, Hand gunners and if you find some shields from somewhere Swordsmen as well........... The models are really nice too!!!

I've just built a 1000pt army out of 4 and a half boxes. Thats 100 quid for us brits and to do the same with 'proper' models costs us 155 quid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I'd known this literally 30 minutes before I saw this post. I've just spent around £200 on empire.

I did use Dark Sphere for 25% off though so was a decent deal.

I'll be using the Militia box sets for future expansions though.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Did you open the Boxes? Exchange 'em Or can you not do that with Dark Sphere? Never heard of them myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Did you open the Boxes? Exchange 'em Or can you not do that with Dark Sphere? Never heard of them myself.
    They are generally a really good company. I would provide you with a link but it's probably just easier to google "Dark Sphere". I've tried to send them a few emails to see if i could switch the state troops to militia as long as it's equal cost but they haven't replied yet.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Postage would kill me dude as I live is Australia now!! Maybe when I go back to Queen and country I'll look 'em up!!!

The only problem with he Militia kits is that they don't come with shields. So if you wan swordsmen yo'll have to scrounge some from somewhere. Also, it gets a bit boring with all the handgunners and halberds being in the same pose etc so I recommend doing a few arm/hand swaps to liven things up a bit.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

how about using militia for...militia? I'm not a fan of them as a parent regiment because they have no save...but as detachments, they're quite fluffy...since I use swordsmen for my parents, I don't need any more S3 attacks, especially at lower WS, in those detachments (so I use halberdiers there), but I'm really thinking about some militia as a detachment for my greatswords, and they'd be decent detachments for halberdier parent regiments (which I don't recommend, but seem to be popular), too. Or maybe as cheap guards for your artillery...they're not up to main line combat, but the number (and sometimes quality) of attacks that most warmachine hunters throw off...they can handle, and with AHW, they'll be throwing back a tidy sum of dice...
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

LOL, well, them too I suppose. I didn't add them to the list as, with an army built out of Militia models, I didn't want to have the conversation of....... "So what are those Militia models meant to be?"............. "Erm.. Militia."

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

LOL...I know, I just didn't want people to interpret that as "militia are useless, we need to find a way to get some value from the models."
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Im gonna completly disagree about militia. There are absolutly nothing they can do, which other troops can't do better for the same points.
    want extra attacks? buy spearmen for the same points.

Lets say you have 20 Free company in a 5x4 formation. number of attacks = 15
    20 spearmen 5x4 formation. Number of attacks 15 AND light armour

or Halberdier for the same points and you get 10 str 4 attacks instead AND light armour

Archers are the only exception to the useless miltitia as they can be upgraded to huntsmen in order to get scout special rule.
    otherwise you will usually get alot more for the same points buying crossbowmen or handgunners.
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Wow, that's some Militia hate right there Vanish lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post

Lets say you have 20 Free company in a 5x4 formation. number of attacks = 15
    20 spearmen 5x4 formation. Number of attacks 15 AND light armour

What happens if you want to charge something? Spearmen will only get 10A on the charge. I do kinda agree with you though. Str3 doesn't kill anything and even str4 is pretty pants so taking offensive units with only str3 isn't going to get you anywhere fast. If you want offence grab Great Swords or........ erm... More Great Swords. If you want a tar pit grab Swordsmen as they're the State troops that can survive more than a few rounds of combat, all the rest get pounded quick as you please.

Not sure about the Huntsmen though. At 10pts a model they aren't cheap and what role do they fill? A unit could barely take down a War machine in combat and would really struggle against a Dwarf War machine. They're too expensive to be used as bait and sacrifice and it's not like their Str3 bows will kill much either. If they had LONG bows then they might be slightly better but normal bows are kinda sucky....... So, am I missing something? Pray tell because I have just built some!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast