New Player - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player

I had played an undead army 18 years ago and for a few years then transfered to an Empire army. I have original books and have not played in 11 years and upon cleaning out my storage I discovered pereserved my warhammer items. I am now looking to start the empire engine again and do have a large room for gaming.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Welcome! I was away awhile myself... I switched from fantasy to 40k in 1998... Since 2009, I've been doing both. Quite a bit has changed! I would recommend picking up the main rule book to get your head around the current game... The long and short of it, though, is that large blocks of troops and magic are currently ascendant. GW is also pumping up dragon-sized monsters, no doubt because they sell for six arms and three legs appiece. Cavalry ruled the game until recently, but the current edition of the big rule book gutted them. Character-wise, the norm seems to be one level 4 caster and one battle standard bearer to start, and then a level 2 caster as the third most common character. With the importance of huge blocks of infantry, combined with the unpredictable but potentially game winning power of magic (hence the lord level wizard as standard kit!), melee lords are nowhere to be seen. They compete with said wizard lord (by the way, I think that benefits the empire, our fighty characters are merely human, while our mages are top tier, due to a magic item called the rod of power in combination with access to a wider variety of magic lores than any other army) for space in the list, and with a number of attacks in the low single digits, their melee prowess is rather irrelevant in the face of units that number from thirty to fifty-plus models. If they're taken at all, it's for their leadership stat. Feel free to ask questions, but that's what springs to mind as general advice.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean22 View Post
    I am now looking to start the empire engine again and do have a large room for gaming.

So when do you open your gaming club? Welcome (back) to Empire mate. It's always good to see new faces. Marnepup has said all the main bits and how the rules have changed. There's been a bucket load of new models released too, released in 2007 if I remember correctly and we should be due a new book soon, I hear June now, so expect some new rules, some new kits and some very cool new gribby things and maybe some sort of clockwork or steam powered contraptions.

As it stands Empire have been left behind ruleswise. They're using a 5 year old book so they're not as 'competitive' as some of the new books. Still, the can still cause a lot of pain and can win against any list providing you're a good enough General.

Anyway, welcome to the Empire Boards Be sure to enter our Painting competition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome mate.

They guys have covered most of it so far.

Empire artillery is for me best in the game, dwarves do too but hey they're dwarves not humans.

Selections for empire can be varied but I like an empire general for his Ld value to lead my troops and as I'm not a fun of magic I like warrior priests and captains to back up my regiments.

Hordes of infantry have become the norm with large blocks being hard to break till you've whittled them down before whacking them. (hordes of 40+ models)

Get on with writing some lists as Empire are still great and bloody hard in the hands of a good general (just not me!).

+ Reply to Thread