Empire archers...are they any good at all? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empire archers...are they any good at all?

Are Empire Archers worth anything? I've seen a lot of lists and these poor fellows are always absent. Are they viable? And what about the Huntsmen upgrade. Is it worth having scouts in your army? Let me know what you think.

-Judge Samson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Well.... They have the advantage of being able to move and shoot, but that's where the good news ends. S3 is horrible when you have access to S4 armor piercing with the same range, or S4 with longer range. Think of them as TK skeleton archers without the unmodifiable BS... Being able TK move and shoot is not the same as being able to move and hit your target! The silver lining in move-or-shoot is that you never suffer the -1 modifier....
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can be.

I think as a detachment they could be great as a skirmish line in front of your core units that can flee from charges without causing panic checks.

And as they are out front your enemy has to target them for LoS before your main line so a bit of a sacrificial unit but won't make your own troops panic if they flee so they can put in some shots then get out and rally on the parents leadership if close enough.

As hunters the scout ability is funky but not as good as when they used to get long bows, made short range all the cooler.

I haven't used them myself but have this idea of them screening my troops till I want to hit the enemy and as the skirmish it makes it harder for them to be hit! Take that you dirty Elves!! (all elves not just those pesky tree huggers!)

I'd say run them the way you want but handgunners and crossbowmen do offer more for the points, maybe if they were 6 points they would be more of a good detachment especially theme wise if they could go with Free Company.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Oh, yeah, that, too. Points cost. Shooting at a regiment in the open inside charge range, they edge out skeletal bowmen. For 33% more points. Hah! In every other way, the skellies are better for cheaper. Archers are quite possibly the only thing in our army book that's worse than spearmen.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread