SSC Hood's Huntsmend: LO Short Story Contest - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

Hood's Huntsmend: LO Short Story Contest

The third and final part of the LO comp, and finally something I can probably keep up with, is a short story. Max 1000 words, and using a character/ unit from the first 2 parts. I plan to use my own Hood's Huntsmen, but I also want to utilize Borak's Little General as an ally (with his permission of course) because he has so much personality.

Normally I just write fluff like this all in one go but I thought it would be fun to get a little fan participation on this one. So, I've got a general storyboard of how I want things to go (and remember, 1000 words is quite short) with some gaps I'd like to get help filling in. The choose-your-own LO adventure portions (as I've dubbed them) are in red.

-The story starts out with Hood's Huntsmen (a very un-merry band of peasant master hunters a la Robin Hood) on the edge of a battlefield. I need to establish motive for them being here: I'm thinking they are hunting down a raiding party that hit a nearby village, only to find it is part of a greater force.
    -They are silently picking off important heroes/ monsters from the opposing force while escaping notice (need help deciding who the bad guys are- beastmen? chaos warriors? what's most appropriate for Stirland to be fighting?)
    -Introduce the Little General (quick word about how he joined the group- I was thinking he was the last member of his force alive in the sacked town and was fending off multiple enemies when he was 'rescued' by force). The Little General is irritated by the sneaky tactics and does something rash that draws the attention of a dangerous enemy (Chaos Knights or something similarly fast and scary)
    -Hood's Huntsmen start trying to take down as many of the enemies as possible as they bear down on the forest where they are hiding. Still, as the enemy draws near there are too many of them and the Huntsmen prepare to withdraw into the woods. The Little General has other plans, shouting to Hood and his men that they are cowards as he prepares to face down the vastly outnumbering foe. At the last second, Baruchel Hood runs forth to try to rescue the Little General from the path of the oncoming enemies, but before he can reach him...well that part's a secret. Rest assured it's something exciting!

Whaddya think? I figure it will be about the right length if I don't get too sidetracked. Let me know your reccomendations and whether or not you like the fluff. I'll get around to writing it all sometime later in the week. Cheers,

Jack

Honey badger don't care.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Hi mate, good to see other people entering the competition.

In Stirland I think suitable bad guys would be either VC (some minor necromancer perhaps) due to the fact Sylvania is part of Stirland, or beastmen (or orcs, but given the little general's background I'm guessing you don't want to be fighting greenskins).

As for the story, it sounds fine, my only questions would be how are you going to explain Kluppa not bring killed immediately when he was found given he is a greenskin? And why would Hood want to save him so badly?

Good luck, I shall follow this with interest, my own entry is up elsewhere on the forum.

-Corrigan

has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Corrigan View Post
    Hi mate, good to see other people entering the competition.

In Stirland I think suitable bad guys would be either VC (some minor necromancer perhaps) due to the fact Sylvania is part of Stirland, or beastmen (or orcs, but given the little general's background I'm guessing you don't want to be fighting greenskins).

As for the story, it sounds fine, my only questions would be how are you going to explain Kluppa not bring killed immediately when he was found given he is a greenskin? And why would Hood want to save him so badly?

Good luck, I shall follow this with interest, my own entry is up elsewhere on the forum.

-Corrigan
    Haha, I meant Borak's Empire Little General, not Kluppa. Easy to see the confusion there! Thanks for all your interest in the contest. I think I'm going to have to go with Beastmen as bad guys...or maybe Vampires.
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Oops...I should probably have made sure before opening.my mouth

Well, good luck mate.

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

I like Beastmen as the baddies, they have harpies and centigors that are fast and of course, they're all fast anyway ...

They could be tracking a small group of Ungors that had raided a village. This group of baddies wouldn't be too intimidating for a band of huntsmen and of course they could even capture and kill the Ungors on the outskirts of the main force since Ungors aren't really allowed in the main encampments of a Beastmen army.

The Little General could be found under a dead Ungor or three. I mean ... he's little and maybe the beasties fell on him when he stuck them with the sharp pointy side of his sword.

Ha ... I like it!
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
    I like Beastmen as the baddies, they have harpies and centigors that are fast and of course, they're all fast anyway ...
    And there you might just have highlighted the only problem with using beastmen as bad guys in this: they move so fast Hood's Huntsmen probably won't be able to keep up.

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

And there you might just have highlighted the only problem with using beastmen as bad guys in this: they move so fast Hood's Huntsmen probably won't be able to keep up.
    Unless of course the remaining and fleeing Ungors were injured ... thanks to the little general.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart
    Unless of course the remaining and fleeing Ungors were injured ... thanks to the little general.
    I'm not sure how good a story that would make.... "Brilliantly Brave Bandits Battle Badly Battered Beastmen."

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x3)

Well I thought the band of raiders were just a device to get the Hunstmen to the main force that they would be overwhelmed by?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

I believe that Jack said that they were part of the main force, but yes you are sort of right there. I just felt like making a bad joke to be brutally honest...

-Corrigan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast