New Empire Codex - Engineer/Hellblaster - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Empire Codex - Engineer/Hellblaster

I've always used engineers and I'll continue to do so. I enjoy using his Master of Ballistics ability on a hellblaster, rather a cannon. Here's the question. Here's the scenario I'm laying down, made only possible by the changes made to the hellblasters in this new codex. Say two of the three dice are misfires. Do you: A. Re-roll one of the misfire dice in an attempt to not roll on the misfire chart or B. Re-roll the only dice to not be a misfire, and hope it's a misfire, getting all 30x S5 BS4 shots off?

Personally, I'd like to choose option B. Be that it's more risky, the payoff would be exceptionally worth while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

As far as im aware, he only thing the Engineer does for the hellblaster is let it use his BS of 4 when rolling to hit, instead of the crews BS of 3. I may have missed the benifit you mention of rerolling artillary dice but i dont think i have.

In the event that iv'e missed the part you have metnioned about being able to rerol and artillary dice, why would you want to get a 3rd missfire and blow up?

I hope i have been doing it correct, rolling one artillary, then another, so theory is that you will always reroll the first missfire you would get.
    e.g.

you roll a 6 on your first die, then a missfire, at this point you would make the reroll and get a 2, followed by another missfire which you cannot reroll.

So you would always reroll the first missifre you get. In the missifre rules im sure it mentions "all other following barrels (dice rolls) are halved", as one of the results, so you must roll them one at a time.

But i still stand by not having seen where you can reroll and artilary dice on the Hellblaster with and Engineer.

Should be army book not codex. Doesnt realy matter but some people like to have a cry about it being used in wrong place.
    Last edited by saltrock36; May 17th, 2012 at 16:13.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

@saltrock36 :

I think you're confusing a bit with the old armybook. The entry for engineer clearly says nowadays that he can re-roll an artillery dice and use his BS for the war machine's shooting (and there are no war machines excluded from his special rules).

And the Hellblaster now rolls the dice simultaneously (I guess it's for streamlining or speeding up the game a bit). Of course you could roll them separately (for the drama or simply because of having only a single artillery die anyways) but is also say nowhere that he has to re-roll the first misfire (it states he can re-roll, not must)

Oh, and the engineer no longer blows up with the war machine if a re-rolled misfire still destroys it.

For Triggernometry's question I say it's situational (yep, I also pondered about it).

If the Hellblaster is likely to get run over next round by some enemy or some other 'swim-or-sink' situation (where half shots of the two non-misfire dice won't cut it anyways), then I probably would also opt for the risky gamble; should the Hellblaster and or the battle situation be safe for now the I'd play it safe.
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

If you reroll the non-misfire you have a 1/6 chance of getting 30 shots. If you reroll a misfire you have a 5/6 chance of getting 2-10 shots. On average both of these decisions net 5 shots, it basically depends how likely the helblaster is to survive the follow turn anyway (and whether it is in your interest to make the opponent actually dedicate a unit to kill it) and whether you really need 30 BS4 shots right now (ie - its turn 6 and you need to kill the opponents general on dragon in 1 shot to turn a major defeat into a minor win).

+ Reply to Thread