Pistoliers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistoliers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey there,

I'm helping someone start Empire as he is new to the game. The only problem is I only know 1 other that plays Empire. I want to know how Pistoliers do, they seem awesome. Fast cav with double pistols The only disadvantage I see is the 8 inch range, however, they should be within 8 inches for march blocking.

What is your opinion on Pistoliers?

Thanx,
    Cory

-My Warrior Priest will challenge your Chaos Lord
    -OK, my Chaos lord will slaughter you
    -My warrior priest with Van Hortsmen's Speculum will take his 7 Str 8 attacks. You die.
    -......What?
    -Take your model off the table, he's dead

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play empire and im am just now coming to realise how valuable they are. I am definittly going to be buying some in the near future. only prob is they only come in blisters...

Lynx
    A wise man once said: Blow me @$$wipe :lol:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that the Kislevites are no longer part of the army lists, pistoliers are the best flankers.
    “Cry ‘Havoc’ and let slip the dogs of war!? - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Pistoliers ARE great.

Item 1) the double pistols is merely a modeling thing. Each model only gets a single shot per turn unless you have an upgraded Marksman with a Repeater Pistol.

Item 2) treat their shooting ability as a bonus. Concentrate on the fact that you can have a 5-man Fast Cavalry unit with amazing movement capabilities for just under 100 points. They are expendable.

Pistoliers have many uses including charging up the flanks and trying to get into the enemy's "backfield".

Another use is to charge them straight across the board (but not at anything that shoots). Assuming a 48" table and 12" deployment zones your troops should be 24" away from the enemy. You should be able march 16" and fire the remaining 8" and get a full volley pumped into a unit on the first turn. Certainly, they'll try to charge you and you just Flee, run away. Of course then you have to rally them, but that's a small price to pay to disrupt your opponent's plans. The benefit of Fast Cavalry is that once they rally, they can still move that turn (no charging, no shooting though).

The best use of Fast Cavalry I had used against me was a 10-man strong unit of Brettonian Mounted Squires. They just ran up and back on one side of the board distracting a full 30% of my army for several turns while shooting with their bows. I SO should have ignored them...

The Fusilade rule is pretty awesome too, however, count on their charge to be their last (unless they are a supporting charge) as they are horrible in a war of attrition.

I don't see the problem/issue of them being only available in blisters. This way you get to pick your poses (out of 3 or 4) and add them a model at a time. If they were only available as a boxed set you'd be stuck with either 5 or 10 man boxes which would force you to have extras if you only wanted to field 6-man or 7-man units of Pistoliers. In other words, I have no complaints.

Good luck,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Jon23516@Nov 4 2004, 15:25
    Pistoliers ARE great.

Item 1) the double pistols is merely a modeling thing. Each model only gets a single shot per turn unless you have an upgraded Marksman with a Repeater Pistol.
    [snapback]244514[/snapback]
    Your advice is good but the reason they have two pistols and can only fire one is that gunpowder needs a turn to re-load

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the 8" range doesnt matter. you get behind the enemy to stop them marching, have to stay withing 8" to sdo that and so can shoot em.
    and pistolier charges are great. lets see, my unit of 6 with marksmen and repeating pistol, each getting 2 str 4 -2 armour save attacks, and the marksmen getting 3 of them, thats 13 str4 hits with -2 armour save. thats awesome. make it a flank charge, you get +2 for being in the back and they dont get ranks. = owned. i kill many big blocks of infantry with this tactic. and dont even talk to me if knights get a front chrage with pistoliers in the bakc.

they own so hard!!
    <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>PO-TA-TOES</span>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i know, in todays world, the weak are protected, so evolution is now non-existant for humans. To keep the race moving forwards, there should be tests to see if you are good enough to have kids- k-tana</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monkey gunpowder doesnt take a turn to reload...that was 1 unit from 5th edition your thinking of. Its because you can only fire 1 missle weapon a turn,and 1 handgun=1 missle weapon. And yeah,they rock. Run them into High AS infantry into the flank and they will do great. Against some armies put in a preist of sigmar and they get hatred too&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Abbadon@Nov 8 2004, 23:22
    Monkey gunpowder doesnt take a turn to reload...that was 1 unit from 5th edition your thinking of. Its because you can only fire 1 missle weapon a turn,and 1 handgun=1 missle weapon. And yeah,they rock. Run them into High AS infantry into the flank and they will do great. Against some armies put in a preist of sigmar and they get hatred too&#33;
    [snapback]247185[/snapback]
    They take a turn to reload but if you have a second rank they move up and shoot so you are shooting every turn even though you can only fire a handgun once every other turn.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Not any more Bawdy, that was last ed (hated that with my dwarf thunderers...). Now you can fire every turn unless something stops you (ie spell, or WM missfire etc), and yep tis only one missile weapon per turn.

But in terms of fluff you&#39;d be correct, it take a turn to reload.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fluff wise, wouldnt they be reloading while its the other teams turn ? that makes sence to me.
    What is the maximum unit size for pitoliers ? (i lost my army book)

OK. i see the reasoning, seling them in blisters is no longer a problem for me...

:rofl: Lynx :rofl:
    A wise man once said: Blow me @$$wipe :lol:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast