Scroll Caddy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scroll Caddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm partial to replacing the standard lvl 1 wiz with 2 dispel scrolls with a lvl 2 wiz with a rod of power. alone he can give me 4 dispel dice a turn 2/3's of the time. minimum of 2 dispel rolls. in the case of only opposing scroll caddies, i can do an about face, and turn all my dispel dice into power dice. with lvl 2 i can also get off much more powerful spells then just the caddy could ever
    anyone else have diff tactics to replacing the spell caddy, or even opnions on why the caddy it the more efficient.

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

It sounds ok, but I wouldn't say replace the scroll caddy. The difference is with DSs you are guranteed a dispel unless its IF, with the Rod you'll get more dice yes: but you still need to roll and dispel it. So the DSs are still a much better choice, auto dispel outwieghts any other DD.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm thinking on a smaller scale. 1500 or less, inless you get an awful roll you can ussualy outdo the weak spell, and you have good odds aggainst a smiliar scroll caddy on the other side as you can swamp him with power dice.
    in bigger games i guess he's still not the better choice. but i just don't like a scroll caddy, he spends the game scrathing his ass inless he's needed to dispel one of the two things he can during the game. that or scampering away from next to anything. it seems like a waste of hero slot and the points
    i doubt i'll find some perfect solution, but damnit i'm trying.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I suppose on a small scale it'll be useful, but with only a few mages you won't do much still. IIRC a lvl 2 mage can only cast with 3 dice, so those extra dice will more than likely go to waste. But in bigger games when you use lvl3 mages or more lvl2 the extra dice will be handy, chances for more spells to be cast.

But I still wouldn't use it over a scroll caddy, the auto dispel makes it much easier to take out those must stop spells. But I can see its uses.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i'm looking at this problem wrong. my beef isnt really with the scroll caddy himself, it's how little he does over the coarse of the game. maybe i'm just using mine wrong.
    anyone use thier scroll caddy in an active role? using him every turn with a specific goal and purpose in mind rather then be a mule to two peices of parchment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

For no particular reason, I'm not really a big fan of the magic aspect of the game. Therefore, I don't spend many points to try to get off spells in games. At the same time, I can't just go out there naked of any magic defense so I purchase the lowliest wizard and strap on 2 scrolls to prevent the 2 greatest magic threats during the game. If I have the points I may bump him to Level 2 for the extra d6 but not usually.

I've heard that the Rod of Power is a good thing but I've never been able to wrap my head around the concept. The dice can be stored for either magic OR dispel dice? Or you save dispel dice for use as casting dice?

Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rod of power lets you carry casting dice to dispel, or dispel to casting. if you wanna you can save the same dice from the begginging of the game, converting them to dispel, then back to casting again.
    why it might work well is that you can overload with dispel dice. you can get the starter dice, plus the dice being a wiz contributes, plus 1-3 more. you can just swamp with dispel. works best in small games when your opponent only has about 4 casting dice period.
    where the dispel scrolls get the 2 biggest, the dispel might get those two, plus a whack of other lesser spells. it also gives some options, if your the only caster left on the field, you can cast your two spells(if lvl 2) with almost the max casting dice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what is so annoying with Empire magic: except for a lark, they are most relegated to the scroll caddy role, just trying as hard as they can to keep your troops being blasted with the odd bolt of lightining. Your idea sounds good and I once and a while do it as a lark but it hasn't worked for me fabulously.
    I happened to like lore of the ehavens, which do you use?
    “Cry ‘Havoc’ and let slip the dogs of war!? - Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i know i won't accomplish anything magic wise, heavens, for secound sign spell. if i think i might actualy win the magic phase metal, though it's for fluff as much as anything.
    even if the RoP wiz doesnt do well in big games, i still stand by it works wonder in a 500pt battle. i just hope theres not some rule aggainst it since i don't play the 500pt battles much and don't really know the restrictions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I always put my wizard in a unit (usually archers - why not?) I go for either Amethyst (Death) or Shadows, usually both. Pretty much just for the names, cause let's face it, there's little between any of the lores technically - if you just use the spells the right way they can all be effective, I just happen to be an aspiring Evil dude, so anything with particularly foreboding names makes me happy.

As for the whole Dispel scroll caddy debate - I've carried one dispel scroll once, and that was with my Eshin army. Always find that I can't justify the 25pts from my lists - I always prefer more troops and actual items that increase my stats universally. Even a wizard's staff is useful, as it means I've got more of a chance of casting against HE or Lizardmen armies - which is always nice if you're trying to cast Drain Life, Wind of Death, or Pelt of Midnight (when you've drawn to much attention to yourself and that Bolt Thrower looks like it might well start pointing towards you&#33.

I don't tend to like spending lots of points on Wizards and magic, so i tend to give them some weapon that makes them effective in the unit as well - giving one the Dragon bow when in a unit of archers can be useful if the spell table roll gave you some real stinkers and it looks like he's a waste of points. Because of the lack of armour I tend to keep them in larger missile units, so they don't have to worry about making any save.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast