Colours Of The Landsknect - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that i've just started to find out about the landsknects i've found my current colour scheme is a bit, dull. any suggestions on colours that would work well, might actualy be a real landsknect used colour and preferably are provided by games workshop?
    sorry if this should be in the painting section, i felt if this was in painting to many people would have to be told about the landsknects and would have no knowledge of them and thus be of no help.

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

The Landsknechts used all kinds of color. The brighter, the more striking the better. The more different colors in a piece of cloth the better.

I think that red and/or yellow as main color, combined with white, blues, different reds and vermin-brown would look good.
    The puffy parts in those bright colors and other parts of legs and arms (and chest if not wearing armor) in different shades of brown.
    And don't use too bright colors on the metal, if they could polish their weapons beautifully, they also could wear uniforms. But they dont.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was thinking a bright red top(scab red, with blood red highlights?), an occasional deep blue sleeve(space wolves grey and shadow grey, i know it's cheap, but i wanna get rid of all my old space wolves colours before they dry up), then make the pants a lime green(dark angels green highlighted with goblin green maybe?).
    for armour, i've recently taken a liking to giving a heavy coat of brown ink, it makes the armour almost orange, it's a bit shiney, is it still keeping with landsknecht theme?
    btw, how do you pronounce that? "lan-ds-kin-ik-t?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

It's a German word, you just pronounce it as Landknecht, with a clear 'a' and 'e'.

Nice and flashy sceme. Though maybe the orange-like armour may be a bit too much. I'd just keep it with boltgun or chainmail. But it's your army after all.

And don't paint them all the same. A theme of a much (or always) used color on one spot, lets say their sleeves. And the rest should vary per man.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

german, no kidding. german is just one of those langagues i've never had trouble distinguishing.
    oi, that's pretty colourful. though the end reslut sounds like it will be great.
    what colours fit best? deep colours (dark angels green) or bright colours (goblin green). and how did they do for clashing, was the aim to just be bright, or to practicly hurt your eyes to look at the opposing colours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

The origin of that style of dressing is Swiss.
    The Swiss were poor, very poor. But they were good fighters and had developed tactics with which they defeated the feudal armies of the Germans, the Habsburgs and the Burgundians time over time.
    They mainly fought with massed pike formations, supported by skirmishing light troops: halbediers, crossbowmen and handgunners. They fought very offensively, not taking stand and waiting for the enemy to come to them. They marched, pushing the enemy and breaking them.
    In time they became renown mercenaries.
    But other learnt. Maximilian I of the Habsburgs created a semi-mercenary formation, called the Landsknechts. He copied the Swiss pike formation. But used more crossbowmen/handgunners for support, protected by halbediers. He used stormtroopers with Zweihanders, to break the pike formation. And he included a modest cavalry, to flank.
    The Landsknecht style was very succesful, and more mercenary armies, acting like the Landsknecht, were formed, using the name Landsknechts (which became thus popular). From now on people didn't hire troops, they could hire whole armies, with decent discipline. They were better than the Swiss. They butchered the Swiss at a battle in Northern Italy, e.g.

Anyway, I'm trailing off. The Swiss dressed like this with clothes found on the battlefield, plundered from dead knights. The richer the pieces were, the better. It was mocking, mocking with the rich people. It became a kind of trademark for mercenaries in that period. The Swiss Guard of the Pope still dresses like it.

And for the greens. I wouldn't say always take dark colors. But dark angels green looks 'richer' than gobbo green. In this case I'd definitely say dark angels. Unless you like the other better of course.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i have specific armies i know i'll be up against again and again, would it be out of character to paint an arm or what not the same style as my opponents army is painted? having beaten them on the field, and snagged some of their uniform to mock them with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

I would like to see their faces. An excellent idea. Will be kind of difficult if one of your main opponents plays lizzies, not much of an uniform there. But against most other armies it would have a nice effect.

What you also could do, it is something done over time however, not just a nice evening painting, is adjusting after each battle.
    After you fight a battle you could repaint parts of some of the models, just the way you were planning. But now you could have a real-time story behind it.
    What also would be serious fun, get a few standard bearers. Don't include them in the battle, just pro forma. And give them banners like your opponent's. Every time you beat someone, you get another bannerman with such a 'captured banner'.

Tai'shar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, that was the major road block, lizardmen and vampire counts, they just have such defined uniforms. but i like the trophy idea, and i love bits with a passion, between the two of them i wouldn't be against seeing if any armies have a specific 'command sprue' that i could mail order in and spread trophies around the army.
    as long as my army is being flashy, might as well be obnoxious about it.

+ Reply to Thread