To Battle Standard or not, that is the question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Battle Standard or not, that is the question

Alright, scenario, Infantry based army, Elector Count as lord on foot. Got 24+ swordsmen with the Lord, got 20 or so Greatswords, got artillery support (Cannon/Mortar and Volley Gun) with handgunners. Got Cavalry for flanking support (5-6 IC knights).

Got detatchments of FC, halberiers, and handgunners. Might have Flagelants?

Now the problem is heroes. My thiking is that since Empire heroes aren't exactly the cream of the crop but rather the cream of the crap as far as stats go, all their abilities shoudl be concentrated on making the Army as a whole very solid. So I got my EC with his ward save and decent armor, I like to give him something like the sword of power/hammer of Judgement to add a little umph to the unit. Next is the Captain, do I take the Standard, and if I do, do i make it a magic banner and forgo protection since he'd be public enemy number one?

Also my last 2 heroes in a 2K battle, should I go 2 Wizards, 1 Wizard and 1 Engineer, or 1 Wizard and 1 more Combat Oriented Captain? I like to leave room for bound items like Orb of Thunder, or Van Horstmans Speclum and Icon of Magnus. Something to drain power dice and such. Normally I choose Lore of Life, Light, or Heavens for obviouse reasons as these Lores have amny troop supporting spells. But one level 2 Wizard just doesn't do enough offensively and I don't know if I want to forgoe the engineer with Hochland and who usually carries a bound Item that I overlook with other heroes.

If any of you could provide me with advice I would really appreciate it.

Either way you do the math, it all adds up to you goin' down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

well i see you posted this in june 2004... so this is probably a bit late. okay some might disagree with this but here is my 50 cents... well first off if you are playing generaly in a tournie or something and you dont know wht to expect perhaps you could give your captain the armour of meteoric iron and a great weapon... this will give him a nice save(as everyone knows) and the apponent wont expect is and then the great weapon is cheap and well worth it for +2 strength. so i personally wouldn't go for the battle standard for one your greatswords can already get a banner and the other is you can make one of your other units you 'count's troops' selection which gives them a magic banner.
    back to the captain... if you are playing against armies like chaos whith big hard hitting lords and heroes(which they will only have one or two of because of their cost) i would consider sitting my captain on a pegasis with van horstmanns speculum... you can ride behind the chaos lord's unit(march blocking) and when they charge a unit of your troops you can charge them with your captain( this works best with chaos knights where there is normally only one rank so you can challange right away) and well there you go you challange his big powerfull lord with the speculum and you show him what it is like to be on the recieving side of his heavy blows.
    well like i said it is my 50 cents... use it, dont use it :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i) i wouldn't recommend making your banner magic, it's base re-roll ability is best fo corer infantry (more so in Empire).
    ii) don't get an tech hero, another cannon is better in almost every way.
    iii) if your torn between another wiz or a cap'n, get a WP. +1 dispel die, decent fighting, plus free bound items as abilities.
    that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

i have not read all the posts but i know from my experiences of my line running away, that, that reroll o the Ld test is brilliant, the captian is not ever so good in CC has limited shooting capabilites (my captian might aswell not have eyes he hits on 2+ and NEVER hits). using the BSB to influence the troops around him, the troops will b less likely to flee and will then get better CR (less detachemnts fleeing). magic banners are hefty for points costs, but stubborn banner my be good (i thinks its the sigismund one) or the griffon standard are both good. good luck DJ87

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really dont see why on earth people would ever use a battle standard. they are expensive and they really dont give you a great advantage for something like empire(LD 7). for a goblin or skaven army they are a must but not for empire. also, danjones87, a captain is 50 pts with nothing and they are great. give him armour of meteoric iron and great weapon and away you go merrily slaying.

ZuZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really? how can you miss it, almost every Empire general i know uses them. circumstances like now come up, where they're torn between using it or not, but never have i seen someone not like it. Empire you know, relys on CR and LD. without their CR (flanks and whatnot) they'd manage nothing in combat. if not for LD they'd flee quickly, they have the same LD values of many troops half their pts. so a distribution of leaders is mandatory save for some specilized army lists. this is also why the BSB comes into play. cheap and amazing. non-magical, costs next to no pts, and can keep your line holding for the full game. i love those re-rolls.

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well actually i have used a battle sandard in a number of games. i stick him in my swordsmen and he does....nothing. a waste of points in my humble opinion. i prefer to hold my line in a 2000 point game with 2 cheap captains a battle wizard and an elector count on a griffon (450some points of flying death). i guess the choice also depends on your army list and fluff (my list is VERY fluffy and i have trouble winning without good tactics just how i like it).

ZuZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ou, if your a griff user, make some posts in the runefang/griff topic, the points supporting them have been a bit stingy.
    well yea a bsb doesn't do a lot, he keeps the line together, not rampage across the board.

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea i guess so. its just i'm very agressive with my army and that takes my opponents by surprise and is good when facing an army with crappy toughness like dark elves.

ZuZ

+ Reply to Thread