fully mounted empire army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fully mounted empire army

ooooooh i can feel the controversy already, after looking through some of the featured armies in the past gamesday events i've decided to attempt to build an almost (i can't let go of my precious artillery) fully mounted empire army. I realise that this goes agaisnt a lot of the proven effective tactics of the empire but i think this would make a really fun and original army to play with. I was sondering if some hardened veterans could either give some advice on army selection and tactics or perhps even explain, in simple terms why this is the worst idea since asking kevin smith to write a family movie (here's a thought , to make sure it's really a great film lets add j-Lo)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

hmm are you going to have shooting support?
    okay well here is my 50 cents again... for one when i started my empire i was always told... always have 2 regiments of infantry... but that hasnt stopped me from wondering what i would do if i played all cav...

so i would definately have 2 regiments of pistoliers... fast cav very effective especially against frenzied units. then a regiment of 9-10 ic knights and 9-10 white wolf knights... well then i would use the kislev allied contingent and use some winged lancers and gryphin(sp.) legion. the kislevites would be amazing with glorious charge especially against low leadership units. then characters are for your imagination... but there you have it. the allied contingent dont count as rare but dont use up slots so you still need you minimum core to be empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

warning... this 'advice' is based on my ideas... i have not tried them myself and so take no responsibility for you recieving a beating from those who know best... i imagine it could do well. i would try it if i had the resources and you do know there was an article on empire cavalry armies on the gw site at one stage so you wont be the first to use it and clearly with a few tests you could field an effective one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stink_beetle
    the worst idea since asking kevin smith to write a family movie (here's a thought , to make sure it's really a great film lets add j-Lo)
    To be honest, I thought that film sucked less the further on it got but it wasn't Clerks was it

I think you should go for it. If it sucks, then you just add some infantry units and it'll stop sucking (warning - you may end up with a 4000 point army this way).

I'm thinking of doing the same for Vampire Counts at the moment - all wolves and horses.

AR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first post! welcome to librarium stink_beetle, hope you enjoy your time here.

i know artillery is great, but in a calv army you really might consider dropping it. artillery on it's own will merely be jumped by the first min squad size unit with a movement over 4". calv is hard to turn around, and you don't want to leave calv sitting around protecting your missile platforms. you'd have to start paying points to defence units, more drawing you away from the calv theme.
    i think you'd be better off loading up on pistoliers, you NEED flankers. any Empire general that's burned his way though a few battles knows this. you NEED to get those flank attacks, both for the kills and CR. i know CR seems like less of an issue without swords but it's not. your not Bret's, you don't get a shattering charge. but you can make it shattering. hit those flanks, get the CR to add to the front rank and you'll be far more likely to break that unit.
    kislev also comes into this, start inflicting panic tests with winged lancers, it'll help break the line which is a major goal in a calv army. the horse archers are also good for minial tasks, hunt other artillery and the likes.
    also learn the proper break up of knights units. you've got mallet, hammer, and sledge types. these have many names, since none have seemed to stick, so this likely isn't new to you, just under a diff name. all the same, it's good to repeat.
    mallet: 5 knights, musician, nothing else. they're not ment to weater casualites or anything like that, keep them doing lil jobs. stuff you'd make fast calv do, pistoliers themselves would fit into this. you need to decide yourself if a role is better suited for knights or pistoliers, i can't tell you as it has to be decided on the spot. send them out hunting (wizards / artillery / broken units / flankers / scouts / missile troops), pretty much anything that can't hold it's own in combat. if you get kislev allies, mongols can alternate for this role with pistoliers. that was a bit confusing so i'll try to give some examples to help things click;
    knights: hit flanks of ugly things that won't break as you'd want them to. they have the armour to sit out a round or two. they're the most expensive though, so you need to watch them, and don't be as sacrifical with them.
    pistoliers: they have a hard charge, use this. they're also under-armoured, watch out for this. pistoliers always need to be used decisivly. only send them in when your sure the unit will break. use them for hunting, but remember, a wizard likely doesn't need those 14 odd S4 attacks to take him down.
    mongols: these should be running down fleeing units, hitting weak targets like crews and even sheilding and blocking LOS. they don't have a lot going for them 'cept their nimble, cheap and more bodies to throw into the frey.
    hammer: basic core knight unit. a rank or two depending on the points you can spare. so about 8 - 10 (remember to keep your front rank 6 across, your looking for a hard charge). these guys can't be explained well as they're just there to smack whatever. send them in quick, hit the front, and if you do a good job, break the unit, and have a smaller knight unit that should have hit their flanks run them down (avoid getting drawn into a counter-charge).
    sledge: you don't always need one of these, and if you take a unit like this, don't beef it out to much. it's for the GM's bodygaurd often. full upgrades, 2 ranks at least, so about 12+. if you want to get really viscious get a large enough unit to slap a griffon banner on it. though that should be reserved for special circumstances as there's got to be a dozen things wrong with that. this unit aligns with the oppossing 'main' unit and really gets into the thick of it. i'd suggest white wolves for this unit, as they're expected to have to weather multiple rounds, and i personaly like the +1S over the +1AS. but that's me.
    hope it helps, and sorry it turned out so long, i never mean to fill up such space but there was a lot to be said.
    that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I reakon that there is one prob with a fully mounted army (i would love one so much though) It is that you dont get the large solid blocks of infantry which can hold, calvary only have a samll number of troops and thay cost alot.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

how is it going to be Themed though? you say you want artillary but if you want to be all mounted you need knights...and they dont like artialry, so in a force primarily consisting in knights your going to end up with a few fluff problems.

unless you make a new order who are reletivly young so understand modern warfare.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, great stuff, thanks a bunch Loki

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warrior poet, that's why you need to break them on the charge, if they flee first round there's no issue of holding.
    BrotherAzriel, who's to say it needs a theme? themes add to an army, but no rule states an army is illegal without one. i mean, with orcs, giant lizards, and rat ppl running around throwing magic and other junk at each other, i'm sure a small force of knights artillery ideals aren't the ones with plausability issues.
    stink_beetle, happy it helped, if nothing doesn't make sence or you'd like expanded, feel free to ask.
    that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

The All-Cav Empire army

Greetings Stink-Beetle.

I've played a traditional infantry army for some time but I too tried my hand at an all-Cavalry list.

I'll admit I only have played 1 game with it but I crushed my opponent and it felt good.

Following is a summary of my list.

Templar Grand Master (White Cloak, Laurels of Victory) joins 9 Knights (Inner Circle, full command, Warbanner)

Captain of White Wolves (full plate, lance, shield, barded warhorse) joins 10 Knights of White Wolf (Inner Circle, full command)

Captain (full plate, lance, shield) riding a Pegasus

Battle Wizard (barded warhorse, 2 dispel scrolls)

5 Knights (musician only)

5 Pistoliers (marksman, repeater pistol)
    5 Pistoliers (marksman, repeater pistol)

This list comes to 1981 points. The final 19 points could be spent in several ways.

I spent the first 3 turns of deployment putting down the small groups of 5 Knights and announcing which type of musical instrument each had: "5 Knights, Musician with Trumpet" This really threw off my opponent as he thought I had some secret tech to spring on him.

By spreading these first three units across the table (left, center and right), my opponent still had no idea where I was going to put most of my army. This really threw off his deployment.

The purpose of these small Knight units is to run around and confuse the opponent. They are tough and resiliant to most shooting and with the musician will rally on a 9 after they flee when charged. They are bait. If you take the bait I will hammer into you with one of my big blocks of Knights. If you ignore them I will charge your flank after charging your face with my big block of Knights.

The Pistoliers and the Peg Captian are to race up the flanks and distract and destroy your opponent's flanks.

Good luck,
    Jon
    [COLOR=DarkRedI got my tournament t-shirts at mathhammer.net[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread