Empire: VHS, useful? why? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Empire: VHS, useful? why?

why i don't like it:

i) it takes up space. i always hear about giving it to a wiz, that thing will empy a fair amount of his pts before he hits cap.

ii) how often are you actually running into viable targets? there isn't a hero in every unit. and most unit champians aren't worth the effort.

iii) sometimes it would be better to be hitting the grunts. a weak unit, such as goobos for example. you don't wanna hit the champ, you wanna take down as many gobbos as possible for the valuable CR.

iv) aggainst a stronger unit, the enemy won't wanna waste his time on your hero. he'll pass the challenge over to the unit champ, dice your unit, then run down and kill your EC that way.

so, all fans of the VHS. please, tell me why i'm wrong and give your reasons for why you take it, what you've used it for, why it worked in an actual game, etc. much thanks for any responces.

that's the thing about perfection, it can only get worse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

depends what opponet you are playing , if you are playing a 2k HOC with archaon you would want it then wouldnt you ? it does just really depend on who you play
    fantasy

vampire counts ( under construction)

am thinking about starting it again

currently working on :

second unit of skellys

most likely thing next :

another box of skellys .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so if the VHS is in eccence an anti-super hero item, why do i see it almost every list, and those that lack it have it recommended within 3 posts? surely not every last army has an archon class hero in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wasnt saying that

you said it was useless and i was proving it wasnt
    fantasy

vampire counts ( under construction)

am thinking about starting it again

currently working on :

second unit of skellys

most likely thing next :

another box of skellys .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i meant useless in a game-by-game context. in specific situations, almost anything can be useful. but lacking those specifics and returning to a more periodic style of games the efficency of said items diminish.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm... Ws a VHS :p ?

If you mean the speculum then its only use is hero killing. I love to see enemies get beat up by a punny empire wizard w/it

You see its not a super hero killer, just a hero killer, no matter w hero your mage kills it'll still be worth a laugh.

Once my HE prince on an eagle was charged by a mounted mage w/VHS and my prince died.

O THE SHAME! THE SHAME! MY 200+ LORD! GONE! DIED TO A WIZARD :o !

Well you get the idea :p

It takes a bit of luck to use though ^_^
    Last edited by bald inquisitor; June 18th, 2005 at 19:05.
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, VHS is van horstmann's speculum. just easier to spell and saves time and space.
    that's why i don't like. s'not always useful, and even if you do hit a hero you just get mauled by rank and file. assuming you even win. just not worth it.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever heard of death cult assassins?

Well if you did then the hero basically becomes one.

You give VHS to a cheap hero you don't like and send him hunting for expensive enemy lords.

Who cares if he dies? He'll get his points back if the VHS works.
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but i can't just send the hero out, i have to send a unit with him. a lone hero is just pts waiting to be claimed. and then i lose a hero slot, assuming the hero is not worth mention, and now a unit as well.
    if i'm using a suicide hero i'd much rather grab a cap'n on pegi. so many more uses.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think that you would find a use for a captain in a unit of swordsmen against chosen warriors.

I use VHS like this: Mounted Mage with lore of fire/death/heavens/life etc. (revised ed.)

So If anyone gets too close to my mage I"ll surprise them with a charging VHS lunatic.

Its kinda a last resort/suicider thing. Try it out in some games, I'm sure you'll like the prospect.

Your opponents will hate you though :p

I'm not sure you'd put a mage in a unit, it almost never works out. Unit gets charged = wizard dies.

Of course you could also use VHS on a pegi captain.

Sides a hero choice isn't so important. You get a lot more than most people ever use (unless you go magic heavy).
    Last edited by bald inquisitor; June 18th, 2005 at 19:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast