New Army. Empire or Dogs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Army. Empire or Dogs

So I have decided that I am going to do a second warhammer fantasy army. I am relatively new to this side of Warhammer (being a 40K player for near 12 years). My first army is Lizardmen, but I am one to loose focus on and off. So I tend to due two-three armies at one time.

I already have some models so far, but am hitting a point in putting them together that I need to make a choice as painting is the next step, and could differ in which army I play (concept wise).

Models I have.
    10 X-bowmen
    20 Spearmen (easily converted to pikemen)
    10 Heavy Calvary
    1 General on horse back
    1 Captain on pegasus
    1 Wizard on foot
    1 Cannon crew

So on to the main question. What is the main play difference between Dogs and Empire. For the most part they seem to have the same "potential" troops. Free Company - Duelists. Knights - Heavy Calvary. Xbow, Regiment boxes, etc...

So which one is more flexible. Which one is more forgiving to dumb mistakes. I see that empire leads to a more potential shooty army then Dogs does, but I am not interested in a nothing but shooting army (enough of guns from 40K. Not to say I don't want shooting I just don't want all shooting).

Thought? Advice? Suggestion?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Dogs of War army is pretty cool, and I would use them next if I didn't already have an Empire army. Unfortunately, they have many of the disadvantages of the Empire, and few of the advantages.
    Humans are weak, cowardly, and need all the help they can get, which is why I have a large arsenal of war machines to back them up (2 Cannons, a Mortar and a Helblaster) Using a Dogs of War army means that you have to use plenty of the Regiments of Renown and other units, since humans are pathetic on their own. I think the Empire works well when you have a large amount of firepower, with a solid unit of spearmen (usually with the Griffon Standard) and a few units of cavalry to mop up the remainder of the enemy.
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination

TJK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

both are pretty cool and similar, if you can afford it go with the DOW because you can get more variety but you can use the figures in both :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am stuck in this same situation.

I wanted to do a human army, themed after a Tilean city-state or republic. Exactly which I have not quite decided ..

But, the problem lies in the army lists. The Empire has always been around, and always will be, where as Dogs of War were a later addition and aren't quite as "official", even if just in the support given by GW to the models etc(for instance, theres no "Dogs of War" listed amongst the army sections on the left side of the GW WHFB website).

With the notion of a 7th edition looming, I'm thinking that it would be safest to play with the empire rules, or buy models that are compatible with the empire rules, incase the dogs of war as a sole army become extinct.

Besides, since theres many smaller kingdoms within the empire, certainly the empire list should be the basis for any generic human army list. With that in mind my Tilean Empire army seems more of a reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Why dont you use the Marienburg list from the back of the empire book, you get to use the best of both armies, and if the dogs of war are phased out in 7th ed then you can easily convert straight back into empire. If undecided however i would (i have both armies) definatly go for empire unless your going to use many ROR or are otherwise ready for allot of conversion work.

+ Reply to Thread