What to take to the Tournie? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to take to the Tournie?

I'm planning to enter the GW doubles tournie, and I'm having real deliberations. The points limitation is 1500pts (750 each) and we must both have 1 heroe and 1 core. Apart from that the limitations are the same as normal for 1500pts. My partner is taking lizzies with lots of skinks. His army also includes a Scar-Veteran, a Lvl 2 Skink Preist, and 3 Kroxigor. The General of the two armies would be decided with a dice roll at the beggining of every game.

i am definately taking: (unless someone presents a really good reason not too)
    Pistoliers
    Knightly Orders

The rest I need help with:
    1. Character
    Options:
    Captain- Would give my army a decent leadership and some bite in combat, plus hes cheap!But we might as well forget magic with this guy.
    Warrior Priest- Some fighting ability, and he would hold the line. Plus he gives us hatred against many opponents, and some magical defense. His magical offense though is not going to do much in 1500pts, and he's an expensive alternative to the captain.
    Battle Wizard- Costs the most, and would leave my army with Ld 7, but as we are a shooty army, we may need the magic.

2. Infantry
    Options:
    20 Halberdiers- High strength, and are the cheapest option, but we don't have any shields for these so they would be quite vunerable. On the plus side I have already painted three of these.
    20 Spearmen- Not very likely because I'm not a huge fan of the models.
    20 Swordsmen- At the moment I'm leaning towards these as their higher stat line and better equipment mean they are a lot less likely to die! They are slightly more expensive though.

3. Detachments (To accompany the infantry unit above)
    At the moment this will almost definately be 10 Free Companies and 10 Handgunners, but I'm open to suggestions.

4. Artillery
    Hellblaster- Well it's the most powerful artillery in the game, and at the moment I would take this every time just for the pshychological effect. It is a little expensive though, and also likely to blow up, giving the enemy 125 VPs for doing nothing.
    Cannon- Useful for taking down monsters, knights, chariots etc, but not as good as the other two against infantry. (unless the infantry in question are ogres!)
    Mortar- Well it is cheap! But fairly crap in my opinion. Still feel free to argue with me all you mortar lovers!

So feel free to mix and match and tell me what the best options are! If theres something I haven't put down as even an option, and you think it's worth considering, bring it up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mortars are crap against armies like Chaos and Orcs (all those toughness 4 troops, grrr...) but can work really well against Gobbo's or Skaven. Personally I would skip the mortar in a tourny list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. So I'll almost definately leave out the mortar. Anyone else? This post has had like 30 views and 1 reply!!! The main thing I'm not sure about right now is what character to take.

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

For a character I would pick a captain with VHS, and sword of battle or whatever combo fits.

For core I'd pick the swordsmen, great armor save... put them in rows of 4 however.
    Detachment wise, go for the free companies, cheap... 2 weapons each.

For Artillery, you're best bet is the cannon. It has better overall uses, and will earn you're points back that you spent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic69
    For a character I would pick a captain with VHS, and sword of battle or whatever combo fits.

For core I'd pick the swordsmen, great armor save... put them in rows of 4 however.
    Detachment wise, go for the free companies, cheap... 2 weapons each.

For Artillery, you're best bet is the cannon. It has better overall uses, and will earn you're points back that you spent.
    I totally agree with you apart from the cannon, I prefer the hellblaster... Still it doesn't really matter.
    Do you play chess? Join the chess clan! Also part of The Musician Clan

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Helblasters are great for horde armies, and have good armour piercing. Its a good flexable list so far, give us an update on the battle cheese58 to see how well you did!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic69
    Helblasters are great for horde armies, and have good armour piercing. Its a good flexable list so far, give us an update on the battle cheese58 to see how well you did!!
    Definitely, especially Skaven. You should see the pleasure on my face once when a whole clanrat unit (around 40) ran from a panic test made by large amounts of damage from hellblaster!
    Do you play chess? Join the chess clan! Also part of The Musician Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hellblaster all the time may blow up but so can all cannon and such like the look on skaven,gobbos and them weak pionty ears players when a unit gets totally wiped out is priceless,plus a priest the extra dispel dice and his four bound spells are going to use up some dispel dice before your mate uses his skink,deamons and undead hate that ST5 auto hits and makin the unit unbreakable sweet

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I would recommend a stank.

And can a warrior priest take a pope mobile?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

In 750 points where you're required to take a hero and a core choice, you're recommending a stank and a walter?!??

On topic, though, I'd actually recommend swordsmen for the parent regiment of state troops and halberdiers for the detachment. The parent is likely to be the one receiving an enemy charge, so high armor save is a big deal. The halberdiers then provide counterpunch while stripping rank bonus. Say, 20 swordsmen with full command and a detachment of 8 halberdiers? If you're concerned about the halberdiers ability to stay above US5, I'd take two units of 8 before I'd even think about going above 8. There's a lot to be said for redundancy. The reason that I wouldn't take handgunners is that they're move or shoot. If they're going to stand and shoot when the parent unit gets charged, you're pretty much locking the whole regiment in place, since you don't want to waste their shots on your own turn. Almost as important as the regiment's ability to survive a charge is maneuvering to the spot where you want the charge to take place, usually in order to set up the charging unit for getting smacked by your kaniggits the next turn. Take the handgunners as an independent regiment.

That's if you take infantry at all. Given your partner's list, you really need to, but in theory, you could go all mounted (except for the artillery)... I'd suggest that you need to provide an anvil. Kroxigors and knights make nice hammers...the best anvil for empire is a large greatswords regiment. You can't afford that inside the points limit. Second best is swordsmen. But swordsmen need a priest to stiffen their spine, not to mention inflict a few extra wounds. Oh, and the priest gives you just as many DD as a wizzie. Seriously, you want the priest.

Try a WP leading 20 swordsmen with full command and 2x8 halberdiers, throw in a great cannon, and see how many points you have left for knights and pistoliers. TBH, given the lizzie's list, you're going to end up with a fairly defensive list. Therefore, pistoliers are probably more important than knights.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast