Detachments - Is 16+ Models too much? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member FGutierrez777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Detachments - Is 16+ Models too much?

    I noticed that most players here use (on avg.) 10 models per detachment unit...I was thinking of using like 16-20 models per detachment since they're so cheap...what do you think...


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Thyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    40
    Posts
    549
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

    Quote Originally Posted by FGutierrez777
    I noticed that most players here use (on avg.) 10 models per detachment unit...I was thinking of using like 16-20 models per detachment since they're so cheap...what do you think...
    The main reason why people take only 10 models for their detachments is because ranks do not matter, the only thing that really matter is the unit strenght of 5 to negate bonus ranks and the front rank attacks. You also want some Survivibility and to make sure 5 will actually get in combat and to soak up some casualties during melee combat 10-12 are good numbers. That's why Free Company are so popular, they give 10 attacks for 5 models and 5 is a good front since most ranked ennemy units will be 4 or 5 rows deep.

    So for 20 models you will have a rank bonus of +3, but since the parent detachment will most likely have the same rank bonus it will be wasted since they don't stack. The only advantage will be in the fact that you will truly outnumber your opponent, but if you have 25 swordsmen with a detachment of 10 FC then chances are that you will outnumber almost anything that will attack you. So if you take 20 Free Company they will die as easily as 10 and they will run as easily too, that's 50 wasted points that will never give you any bonus. For that price I prefer to have 2 10 men detachments.

    If you want to put such a unit in front of a parent unit to screen it from enemy missile fire then I would greatly suggest using archers instead. Yes they cost more points but for 80 points you have 10 skirmishers (-1 to hit) that can cover a wider frontage and that can at least shoot something back

    Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Thyr; May 6th, 2006 at 01:21.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Swansea, and Blackpool, UK
    Age
    28
    Posts
    457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

    On the whole i would agree with what Thyr has allready said, but also don't forget that to field a detachment of 16 models, the parent unit would have to be at least 32 strong. Most people use 20 (or 19) man empire units, so this may be a contributing factor to why they aren't seen that much. Personally i use 8 man detachments, as i like them to be cheap, and also my parent units are 19 strong, so i can't field more then nine......

  5. #4
    Hex
    Hex is offline
    Blistering Barnacles! Hex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Thyr
    The main reason why people take only 10 models for their detachments is because ranks do not matter, the only thing that really matter is the unit strenght of 5 to negate bonus ranks and the front rank attacks. You also want some Survivibility and to make sure 5 will actually get in combat and to soak up some casualties during melee combat 10-12 are good numbers. That's why Free Company are so popular, they give 10 attacks for 5 models and 5 is a good front since most ranked ennemy units will be 4 or 5 rows deep.

    So for 20 models you will have a rank bonus of +3, but since the parent detachment will most likely have the same rank bonus it will be wasted since they don't stack. The only advantage will be in the fact that you will truly outnumber your opponent, but if you have 25 swordsmen with a detachment of 10 FC then chances are that you will outnumber almost anything that will attack you. So if you take 20 Free Company they will die as easily as 10 and they will run as easily too, that's 50 wasted points that will never give you any bonus. For that price I prefer to have 2 10 men detachments.

    If you want to put such a unit in front of a parent unit to screen it from enemy missile fire then I would greatly suggest using archers instead. Yes they cost more points but for 80 points you have 10 skirmishers (-1 to hit) that can cover a wider frontage and that can at least shoot something back

    Hope it helps.
    I totally agree with Thyr. We also use small detachments units for flank charges, added protection and overall a more mobile force. Dwarfs and the like are better off with larger units, though in most armies going over 30 is weird if you ask me.
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

  6. #5
    Member FGutierrez777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Thanks guys!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cripsin
    On the whole i would agree with what Thyr has allready said, but also don't forget that to field a detachment of 16 models, the parent unit would have to be at least 32 strong. Most people use 20 (or 19) man empire units, so this may be a contributing factor to why they aren't seen that much. Personally i use 8 man detachments, as i like them to be cheap, and also my parent units are 19 strong, so i can't field more then nine......
    My bad! I completely forgot that detachments are fielded at half the amount of parent models!

    Thanks guys...

  7. #6
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    inside your head
    Posts
    9,221
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

    Like they said alread, to field a 16-man detatchment you'd need a 32-strong parent unit. Unless you're playing a huge game, you really don't need a unit to be that big (remember, Free Companymen can't be Parents)
    Therefore, I'd say that the biggest unit size you'd want for a detatchment is about 12, but only 8 most often. Also, I you are using riflemen, remember that you can't move and shoot, nor will you be able to fire from 2 ranks very often. So instead of making both detatchments equal size, I usually save points by making a smaller, single rank of riflemen, so that they can all shoot. Just remember to flee if things start to look bad...
    Pts Values for AoS here!

    Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts