My 15 Empire Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

My 15 Empire Questions

ok I have several nagging questions on the empire and since none of my friends really play fantasy this is the only place I can ask them.

1. The minus to armour saves due to high strength applies in both shooting and close combat?

2. Why would empire ever take a sword of striking? wouldn't sword of might be better as it also grants minuses to saves and is cheaper? I can understand S5 characters preferring the striking but why would empire ever take it?

3. does a level 3 wizard really justify the 80 pts more he costs than the battle wizard?

4. Since hochland long rifle can only burn through 1 wound at a time and only hits half the time is it actually useful for sniping characters?

5. If I have a captain bearing the standard and need something else as the general is another Captain good or should I choose a warrior priest as he is stronger (my main opponent is tomb kings).

6. Are Captains on pegasus any good or is it overkill on points?

7. Why would you ever give halberdiers shields? halberds are 2-handed so a shield can only be used against shooting. Wouldn't the shields be much better on spearmen?

8. Where can I find the rules for a brace of pistols? is that just 2 pistols?

crossbowmen seem inferior to handguns in every way. Is there any incentive to use them?

9. I really like pistoliers but my only opponents will be very shooty tomb kings and wood elves. With such a weak save will they be shot to pieces to easily to be worth it?

10. I don't particularly like great cannons but I know my opponents will be fielding bone giants and treemen. Is there anything I can do to stop these without using a cannon?

11. Are hellblasters really that cheesy? I am considering Altdorf guard for the 2 units of greatswords and was considering having 3 hellblasters in my army. Would I be hung for that?

12. Are there any dogs of war that work well with empire? I was considering that dead damned company but I think they will be shot to pieces before combat. That left Golgfags ogres or a new giant. ANyone had any experience with these?

13. If I want to use Altdorf Guard do I have to use the Altdorf colour scheme?

14. Does the crimson amulet come in handy? are there many things in fantasy that use characteristic checks?

15. "Dark" magic is undead magic right? or is it dark elves?

If anyone has any tips or tricks for me that would be great. I'm considering a purple and white colour scheme. This looks like spam to me but these are all the nagging questions at the back of my mind that none of my friends can answer.

Thanks in advance!

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

Well here we go...
    1. The minus to armour saves due to high strength applies in both shooting and close combat?
    A: yes they both do.

2. Why would empire ever take a sword of striking? wouldn't sword of might be better as it also grants minuses to saves and is cheaper? I can understand S5 characters preferring the striking but why would empire ever take it?
    A: Well, i have never used it myself but its cheaper than the sword of might but i would rather take the sword of might is better IMO.

3. does a level 3 wizard really justify the 80 pts more he costs than the battle wizard?
    A: I would have to say yes a wizard lord is slightley better and can expand more on casting magic and he has better stats to, also i'd would pay for the extra level upgrade helps with the magic.

4. Since hochland long rifle can only burn through 1 wound at a time and only hits half the time is it actually useful for sniping characters?
    A: it depends who you give it to i find the repeater handgun better, I have yet to test the rifle out myself.

5. If I have a captain bearing the standard and need something else as the general is another Captain good or should I choose a warrior priest as he is stronger (my main opponent is tomb kings).
    A: well it depends what of the game, but i would really recommand warrior priests and for a lord choice taking the arch lector would be really helpful to.

6. Are Captains on pegasus any good or is it overkill on points?
    A: They are well worth there points ideal at mage and warmachine killing and also flank and rear charges when your main units take the front, If can spare the points then i'd go for it.

7. Why would you ever give halberdiers shields? halberds are 2-handed so a shield can only be used against shooting. Wouldn't the shields be much better on spearmen?
    A:That is the only real reason i take shields for the shooting save bonus it helps abit but not all the time.

8. Where can I find the rules for a brace of pistols? is that just 2 pistols?
    A: Far as i can remeber there in the BRB(big red book), A brace of handguns is were you get 1 pistol shot every combat and not just in the first round of combat.

crossbowmen seem inferior to handguns in every way. Is there any incentive to use them?
    I just noticed this one anyways ill awnster this one, Seems there 16 questions not 15 , The only advantged from using x-bows is there 30 inch range but there weaker shooting wise, it means i can shoot every turn and people underestmate there range like elves and dwarfs.

9. I really like pistoliers but my only opponents will be very shooty tomb kings and wood elves. With such a weak save will they be shot to pieces to easily to be worth it?
    A: Well it would be bad to try them out against them, I havent ever played tomb kings so i have no exp but i do use 10 pistoliers in my army they do alright since there fast and can get close range right away and kill some things, they would help with flank charges, but you friend is right if there shooting armies then they wouldnt last that long at all.

10. I don't particularly like great cannons but I know my opponents will be fielding bone giants and treemen. Is there anything I can do to stop these without using a cannon?
    A:Hmm in truthly opinion there is only the cannon and the hellblaster that can really deal with big monsters like that but if you really lucky with your handgunners then theres a chanch there but still needs 5s to hurt them both, I would recommand 1 cannon and that should do the job, i dont take more then 1 moreself.

11. Are hellblasters really that cheesy? I am considering Altdorf guard for the 2 units of greatswords and was considering having 3 hellblasters in my army. Would I be hung for that?
    A: Why 3 hellblasters that IMO is overkill you would never see me take that unless it was like a 5000pts game or something, you would need to have at least 3000pts to take them 3 at least, Altdorf guard is this the Emperor's guard armylist your talking about?, I cant quiet afford a greatswords unit so i havent used them but from what i have seen of them in battle they really get the charge and useally only taking them in big units they even survive battles but even with there subborn rule they still break alot easier then most of the normal troops.

12. Are there any dogs of war that work well with empire? I was considering that dead damned company but I think they will be shot to pieces before combat. That left Golgfags ogres or a new giant. ANyone had any experience with these?
    A: I useally dont bother with special character dow units useally to expentive but i do always take a unit of ironguts in 2k or over, The empire army itself lack punching power in combat even with knights they dont always break there enemy so i find ironguts are ideal can openers and i find them a good way to deal with chariots then they run though your units easily.

13. If I want to use Altdorf Guard do I have to use the Altdorf colour scheme?
    A: It would fluffy to do the colour scheme but you dont really have to, You can make a alterative colour scheme, Its your call really.

14. Does the crimson amulet come in handy? are there many things in fantasy that use characteristic checks?
    A: I dont find it that handy at all theres not that many characteristic checks in the game and its only a 6+ ward save to so its gonna be rarely you save it.

15. "Dark" magic is undead magic right? or is it dark elves?
    A: dark magic is different lore all together and dark elves can only use it, Undead magic is necromancey and vampire counts can only use that to.

I dont have any exp playing against TKs but from what i have seen there magic is very surpeior and have to relay amout it so i would recommand alot of anti magic items(dispel scrolls, seal of destruction, warrior priests and battle wizards), i think knights would really help alot against them and the icon of magnus is a must against undead to.
    The purple and white colour scheme would be cool but its nothing to do with the aldorf fluffy but it doesnt really matter that much.
    Spam? this is not spam at all, Your asking questions that you dont understand. you basically answtered you question yourself with your friends not been able to help you.
    Anyways i hope most of this post has helped you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    just to add to a couple of the answers already given:

3. A level 3 (or 4) wizard gives you an extra dispel dice, as well as the extra
    power dice. He also has an extra wound and can use more dice per spell.
    I reckon it's worth taking a level 4 wizard if you don't need to take a Lord for
    Leadership purposes. Remember, your Lord level character will usually be your
    general.

4. You can take several rifles - including some on your unit champions (check the
    list for details). This means you can potentially kill a character in a single turn with
    shots from different guns.

7. Halberdiers can always use their hand weapons - they lose the strength bonus
    but if they've got shields they'll get a bonus to their save. Not great, but sometimes
    worth considering.

10. & 11. You don't like cannons but you want to use 3 hellblasters!
    Yes, 3 hellblasters would be considered cheesy in any game under 5000 points, and
    would be illegal in games below 3000. I would take 1 cannon and 1 hellblaster (in a 2K game)

12. I believe Empire used to have Ogres as part of the main list, so Dogs of War Ogres
    (including Golfag's Ogres) would be ok. And fluffy. Perhaps dwarves? The Dead Company
    are ok, but pretty expensive. If you're worried about them being shot to pieces, perhaps
    Voland's Venators would be ok.

Hope this is useful,
    Cheers,
    Spon

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I know my opponents will be fielding bone giants
    The bone giant dies to combat res very quickly - double rank bonus anyone?

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

If I choose to play emperors guard (what I call Altdorf) hellblasters become special so I can use a lot if them. I don't see how it would be overkill, isn't overkilling your opponent a good thing?

It seems odd to me that every Magnus and sigmar item/character targets chaos, skaven and undead yet his talisman only targets chaos, skaven and dark elves.:wacko:

Also spending on multiple hochlands, just doing the statistics for 6 of them.

6 shots- 3 hit- 1.5 wound and against most characters they will be getting a 4+ save against it. Thats .75 wounds and costs more points than the character!

I guess I might as well go and buy GW's empire starter (battleforce?) with the great cannon, handgunners and state troops.

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok,

i would rather have a magic item that nulifies dark elves. they have very powerful magic.

you need your opponents permission to use any army list at the back of the book. with three hellblasters people will just say its not allowed and you will have to use the normal army list.

pistoliers are great against shooty armies. They often get over looked as shooty players arent bothered about march moves and can get round the side of units. most shooty units can only fire in a 90 degree arc remember.

inner circle knights will sort the bone giant and treeman out, or a big unit of swordsmen with the griffin standard.

warrior priests own against tomb kings and imho are the most characterful leaders available.

Three hellblasters? trust me when all three blow up in two turns you'll wish you had invested in some nice juicy, reliable bodies instead!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyways, these are just my opinions, please tell me if i got anything wrong.
    You may already know me, you may have met my followers, i am Allah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

228 (x8)

ok 1 hellblaster it is. Also Morden sword of might is cheaper than sword of striking and does more.

I think I might go with 1 of the new giants. He should be able to go toe-to-toe with the big things and I'd like to have something that causes fear/terror. The one thing empire misses out on.

Am I correct in this combo?

dawn armour
    enchanted shield
    helm of the skaven slayer
    barded warhorse

That allows a -1+ rerollabe save? I don't plan on using it but thats incredible.

Last Question:

I enjoy writing fluff for warhammer and you might all remember Guy Du Marque from my earlier thread. Does anyone have any fluff on Burgomeisters? what city should I make him burgomeister of? can I invent my town?

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

+ Reply to Thread