Balanced Army...why not balanced magic??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Balanced Army...why not balanced magic???

Hi All,

As we all know a successful empire army is balanced. The army has the ability to defend as well as it can attack. To throw substantial fire power around or absorb it, it's infantry while cheap can best the most elite units in the warhammer world. They are soldiers and they do their job well.

BUT, in most forces i have seen there is one facet of your army that does not fit, that is totally unbalanced, that being the infamous 'scroll caddy'. I can understand that for players who do not wish magic to be a palatable force within their armies the scroll caddy is the only option for a very limited magic defense.

If we apply the same logic of balance and versatility to our magic as we do to our troops, we would have a very capable magic phase. It would never rival high elf, lizardmen or chaos in a one on one battle but we could almost give back as good as we got it. Look to such items as the rod of power, this is just as much an offensive item as it is a defensive one. Basic bound items such as the doomfire ring allow us to increase a magic missile output, the ring of volans also does this to a lesser extent. We can also make use of items as simple as a wizards staff. This poxy piece of wargear turns our level two into a level three for a minimal cost. Empire is more than able to field an effective (in cost as well as performance) magic phase that is very versatile.

Magus the Pious stood on the field of battle next to some high elf and saw him blow up units with a flick of his manicured hand, he turns to said elf and says "can you teach us how to do that?"....."Sure"

So why do we turn our backs on magic....??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Good points... good points. I've seen so many arguments based on Balance, from black powder armies, to calvary armies, to infantry based armies... it would make your head explode.

First thing is first, like most empire players I have accepted the fact that we don't have any "Real" magic power. Sure we have a selection of all the lores, but we don't own a certain Domain of magic that we excel in. Even the Orcs have better spells to cast, and they are an IQ of 50.

Now this is just me... just me (or maybe 80% of other empire players), most empire players NEVER dominate the magic phase (well maybe against dwarves). So what would most players do if their spells get dispelled, or can never get there opponients spells dispelled?

WE HIDE IN A CORNER CRY.... GIVE UP, AND BUY TONS OF THESE WONDERFUL SCROLLS CALLED "Dispell Scrolls"! YAY :lol:

I'd be more tempted, and more enthusastic if the GW had a more appealing magic for the empire than just saying that the empire is sooo great since they can choose any of the given lores of magic. Maybe have a spell called " Sigmar Incarnated" in which Sigmar can attack people with his hammer on the field of battle.

All in all...Wizards and Engineers have exactly 50pts of magic items to have spent. And guess how much a single scroll costs?? 25, and Sigmar intends to keep it that way.

zuz
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow...i use magic offensively. heres my take. the wizards staff is a wonderful thing. give it to your HIGHEST level wizard. this may seem a bit perverse but i'll explain. i keep my 2nd level wizard on horse for the purpose of casting higher, more destructive spells. with the additional dice allowed to cast i'm much more likely to succed. my foot wizard (also 2nd level) is there to cast back-up spells and to carry DISPEL SCOLLS!!!!:lol: anyway, amadis is right, it would be nice to have an empire specific lore, and i hope that will come in the next army book. for now i'll just go and pray that they bring back the old emperors stats, the one who could change all his stats to 10 for 1 turn... :rofl:

zuz
    ZuZ:
    2,500 points Empire
    1,300 points Dwarves
    500 points Cygnar

+ Reply to Thread