Librarium Online Forums banner

Any strategies to take on dwarves?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Biff'd 
#1 ·
Well I did my first battle today with empire and Warhammer fantasy rules and I got wasted but that was expected being first battle and all and still new to rules. Either way I would like some advice on how to take on dwarves since they seem to be a tough nut to crack.

First of all he likes his warmachines and takes basically all of them (I espically hate the organ gun). Takes a few thunderer units then fills the rest with infantry and heroes and such otherwise not too keen on what his list is.

Really since I proxied most of my army I can use any models and I'm open to any advice.

#2 ·
Hey and welcome to empire :p, If you were using the 6th rules i would try and hold off till the new army book is relased around january or deceber if you buy the army deal. With the new and update rules you should stand more of a chanch anyways i play against alot of dwarfs you have some advantages speed and knights and you could say artillery even empire can outshoot dwarfs from time to time.

I would recommend 1 of each great cannon, mortar and hellblaster, I know that mortar doesnt do that well against armoured units but i tend to get lucky killing a good few warriors or slayers, etc and also it depends on what time of empire army you want to start there many to choose from infantry, cavarly and artillary or mixture of all of them which i plainly go for.

I try to outnumber the dwarfs and you most likely will anyways, Taking units of 25 swordsmen/spearmen/halberdiers with some detachments for support and some artillary to weaken the dwarf regiments and few units of handgunners. Knights are great for flanks and rear charges and cuts off most lf the units static combat res(3 ranks bonuses).

If you can wipe out his artillery or pray it explodes you shouldnt have a problem, My main problem is taking on the units of 25 clansmen or ironbreakers my units just get beat up cause our troops aint as armoured as theres so tend to die alot easier as you problery know.

I would suggest some flaggents against dwarfs being unbreakable is great but with the update rules for them i guess they making up for there lower toughness now with the combat bonuses you can gain.

I think outriders are gonna be a big hit for us against dwarfs moblie handgunners gonna cut alot of modals down if you get in close range.

Anyways thats all i can think of right now, hope that helps abit and good luck.

#3 ·
Two or three mortars would be great for weakening his defence. I wouldn't bother with a hellblaster personally, great close up but he's gonna want to keep you at a distance for as long as possible so I think points can be better pent elsewhere, like flagellants as Morden suggested.

Trying to out shoot dwarfs is usually a bad idea, even with the empire. I would also suggest lots of men, Empire have slightly cheaper troops than the stunties so i would make good use of that. Flanking is a great way to win combats, just watch out for those oath stones!

You won't be able to match his units man to man, so be careful not to charge into any silly combats, no matter how tempting it is. Of course sometimes you'll get lucky and they'll turn tail and flee^_^

Ciao

Stonehambey

#4 · (Edited)
Here's my advice:

Ignore the mortar and hellblaster completely. The mortar really isn't that good at shooting dwarves unless you get really lucky. The hellblaster relies on an advancing enemy, and the dwarves aren't usually.

Use great cannons to take out organ guns, flame cannons, and stone throwers. These weapons will destroy big infantry blocks. Great cannons outrange them and can be reasonably expected to destroy them in 1 shot. Of course, you have to get good at guessing ranges.

Your x-bows are cheaper than dwarf x-bows and just as powerful. They also outrange dwarf thunderers. If you want to get into a shooting war and stay at range, they are the way to go, cause it means the organ guns/thunderers/flame cannons will have to move to hit you. Just remember, you are shooting at T4 troops, so you won't do all that much damage.

Use swordsmen and/or halberdiers as state troops. The dwarves have too much armor to bother with spears/free company IMO. Your infantry blocks should be 25 to 30 strong, to make sure you are hard to panic, have a reasonable chance of outnumbering, and have full rank bonus in combat. Knights could be a big help for flanking, just don't expose yourself to a flanking shot by cannon or bolt thrower.

You can win against dwarves by controlling the board, even if you never get into CC. If the dwarf player is unwary, they won't move enough to take table corners, and you can contest all of theirs. Snipe a few war machines, and you are golden.

Hope that helps.
Koosh

#5 ·
Well thanks for the advice so far. I don't want to get used to the old empire with the new army book on the horizon. I kinda have an idea what I want for an army in the new book from what the rumors I have read.

Though one idea that I have that will continue is archer screens you think they will be of any use? Also do you think a captain on a pegusus be any good at taking out the crews for the warmachines? Will pistoliers be any use at picking away his units or warmachines too? Last thing you think greatswords be good as well?

#7 ·
If he is using a lot of Warmachines, try to take a unit of Huntsmen. One as little of 5 strong only costs 50pts, and if it can take out the crew of at least one Dwarf Warmachine then it has made its points back! ^_^

Remember they are Scouts so can deploy behind the enemy's lines. They are also Skirmishers, so will also easily outmanouvre the short-legged stunties! :D

#9 · (Edited)
Secrets from a Dwarf...

I play Dwarfs and have pre-ordered the new Empire boxed set (coolest bonus mini ever!). The most important things when facing Dwarfs are:

1. Never take magic. Four base dispel dice will make a lvl 2 wizard a waste of points. I've ruined many-a-Slann (2nd Gen.!) with admittedly cheesy Dwarf anti-magic.

2. Never get charged. Dwarfs are base WS 4, so they will hit you. I always take Longbeards with Great Weapons, making them WS 5, S6, and a unit of Hammerers which are also WS 5, S6 with their base GWs.

A 1+ base armor save from Empire Knights is lowered to a 4+ when smacked with S6 hits, so make sure to get the charge, giving you the S5 hits on the charge. Make sure you know your opponent. I usually take a Master Rune of Fear and a Rune of Stoicism on my BSB (x2 unit strength plus fear = almost automatic run), which has dominated big, powerful, expensive units that lose combat by a mere 1 point. Dwarf Heroes/Lords can also take a Rune of Gromril giving them a 1+ armor save for 25 points, so make sure you can win a challenge if you charge a unit with a Dwarf hero.

Scouts are a big annoyance, but make sure you can either sneak into close combat or shoot with the entire unit, because I would not hesitate to spend an Organ Gun shot on 5 cheap models, making them a waste.

With all that said, my Dwarfs have never been defeated. My biggest nuisance are Night Goblin Fanatics, but the Empire lacks anything like them.

Good luck attempting to best the stunties.

Oh and by the way, never call them "dwarves"; it'll just get you written into the Book of Grudges.

Reactions: Lictor1989
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.