Help me Theme my army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help me Theme my army

I would like to use a Barbarian army, one with lots of troops and detachments. I will probably use 4X29 swords with 9 free company detachment and some archer screens. I want to have a horde of troops but still have a army with good leadership and not really have much religious influence(Elector+BSB+2 captains). My Elector will have the rod of command and I’m very tempted to have a BSB with the Imperial banner my Captains will probably have halberds and no magic items with all the characters with full plate and shield except the BSB who will be mounted with full plate. I also want cannons but I am not sure how I would be able to field them and still have a fluffy army (maybe tree cannons or bolt throwers although I am not a good converter). I have always like the Celts(or Celtics?) and Gauls so maybe something based on them(although cannons I have no idea about). I have googled them and done a bit of research but I still haven’t got any ideas on what to use for cannons (unless they did just buy them from nuln). I will also be using two units of knights with a musician.

So my questions are...
    Are there any empire provinces that use a lot of swordsmen.
    What would be the best ancient civilization to base my army on?
    How can I fit cannons into my army?
    What little pieces or things could i use to get my theme across?
    What restrictions should i apply to the army (I do want two cannons and two units of knights)
    Any thing I missed out?

Thanks for any help.

TAU suck, Blood angels rule

Gameing Records
    blood angels
    8/2/0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you want to model a barbarian army while keeping everything in the list. Why not just utilise the full list and for models go with the Chaos Marauders and file off all Chaos things. For canons etc. mix Marauders with the actual Empire box. Finally, unless you really want the lances, go for the Knights box and use the Ulric sprues within. Invision some blood thirsty, hairy men riding down on you with big hammers smashing the heads off of anyone who gets to close.
    "The Enemies Gate is Down" (Bean/Ender)

"Individual human beings are all tools, that the
    others use to help us all survive." (Graff)

"There is no teacher but the enemy." (Mazer Rackham)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Ahh the pain! The AGONY! Do want to make your army after a BASKETBALL TEAM?!! The Celtics are Boston's basketball team. Celt is the correct term. The celts would never even pronounce the names the same. In their language, what you see is what you get, 'C' makes the same sound as a 'K' all the time (which is why the K is unknown in their alphabet)

However, if you want to theme your army around some barbians, I'd say to switch your list to the Chaos list entirely. Empire are too organised and too rank/file oriented to be barbarians. However, I themed my army on the early Irish revolutions, and made use of TONS of free-company to represent the lack of training in the army. Old-School, roman-whipping barbarians are the Chaos Marauder lists, or beastmen lists.

Sorry dude, but there's no real logical way to make the army.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

I disagree. You could easely build a barbaric horde out of with mainly wolf wolves (they don't use shields on horseback) a grand master, some priest as your shamans, free company as young bloods.

If you want extra theme, flaggelants can make great werewolvish caracters, and a steam tank a living bear god, (or a golden one as the waraltar)

Pistolier has throwing axemen. teutogen knihgts are great swords.

Possibilities are there, just be creative.

And no gunpowder asides for pistoliers!
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you could make a barabian-esk list using the Empire list but then they aren't really from the empire are they. The only barbarians are the Norse, and they are all chaos, dogs of war or have come to settle in the Empire and their ancesters aren't barbaric any more. You may just want to do a middenhiem army to get that savage feel and supplement them with Dogs of War Norse Mauraders, dwarves and maybe some ogres. Use the mounted maurader models for light cavalry, and you may want to do mortars instead of cannons and use catapults of somekind instead of the mortar model. That Kislivite model on the bear could be a cool conversion fo a mounted leader. The theme is great, I am working on a Norse Dwarf army with some of the same ideas with the Dogs of War supplements and staying with older technology so no gunpowder at all. Good luck, make sure to post pictures!!
    "...and we shall pave our path to the gods with the Skulls of our fallen foes."

+ Reply to Thread