Tactics for a Megabattle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics for a Megabattle

Hey all,

Well, in the enxt two days I need to rap up my massive painting session for the Battle of the Black Mountains, opener for the Canadian National Campaign.

First, the scenario can be found *here* Basicly the Empire and it's allies ('Good') have to stop as many Orc units and their allies ('Evil') from getting past and over their end of the table. Pretty simple.

Now, I need tactical ideas that are irrelevant of terrain (aka. I don't have any idea what it wil look like!). The models at my disposal constitute the only limit of "One Unit." They include a Parent unit of 40 Halberdiers (full command) with a detatchment of 20 Spears and a detatchment of 20 Archers. All ideas are welcome.

Secondly, I need any inspirational ideas and such for me to try and take charge of the defence. Should I be screamin 'HOLD THE LINE!" at my team as our turn begins? How about "OPEN FIRE!" at the begining of the shooting phase? Should i take them aside to confer with them, or should I not even bother with that? What do you guys think I can do to become the General of Good in the battle?

Thanks.

"The Enemies Gate is Down" (Bean/Ender)

"Individual human beings are all tools, that the
    others use to help us all survive." (Graff)

"There is no teacher but the enemy." (Mazer Rackham)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many others are on your team? What races are they playing? Will you be between other players or on the end? These all factor into whether you should even be the General, let alone what you should actually do once you are.

Zutta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats the problem you see.

All that is known is the scenario (see first post), that all the 'Good' races will be facing all the 'bad' races, that the GW i'm going to will be using a 12'x4' (3 4x4's) table and that the sides will be lined up against each other on either long side.

Now you see my problem, correct? I plan on getting there early, but should I go for the more tactical table Corner or be in the Center? Should I strive to place on a hill for my archers, or just go with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

well, i have a question about the actual battle. Do you only ge one unit to play with? if so thats lame, i dont really have a strong urge to go anymore. On the empire tactics, you need to hold the line right? Have it so you will be in the middle with a griffon banner in the middle, and just soak up the casualties. It will take a while to kill that many halberdiers, so i would just sit back, and relax, and wait for them to come to you.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I have a Cunning Plan!"

Ah yes, what painting can bring to you. As I was painting (basing) I devised the most cunning plan I have yet!

Based off of the phrase "The best defence is a good offence," my plan focus's around the scoring system for the battle. Good scores with every unit destroyed or fleeing the table, while Evil scores 2 points for every unit above half, and 1 for every unit under half which passes over the Good's table side.

As the scenario dictates, Good deploys before the battle and Evil deploys on it's first turn at it's table edge. In subsequent turns new players and defeated units may return on their own sides table edge. So, what would happen if the WHOLE table edge of one side was blocked?

Yup, thats right! If the Good side could get the whole of the Evil side blocked so that only the front rank of every unit could deploy, thats the ability to gain point after point while Evil can't break through. Endgame!

Basicly the plan would go that Stronger and Weaker infantry blocks would be deployed for Good spaced out evenly, along with Missile Troops and Warmachines. They would move forward as fast as they can, but staying even with each other. Their job is to inch forward, hopefully getting into combat at the half-way point or farther. In the second or third turns Cavalry would then deploy where wholes in the line open or will most likely open. So, this plan relies on the players, their ability to hold fast and to not do anything dumb. It also relies alot on luck and the hope that we can stop the Orc Generals, who will almost certainly make an appearance.

The other plan is to hope for lots of impassible terrain and be able to plug them with infantry blocks, letting through Cavalry as we want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

That strategy sounds awesome until that ungodly large unit of Chosen Khorne Knights smashes through the advancing line and then proceeds to rip through the flanks of each unit, leaving your reinforcements to arrive piecemeal, in a disorganized, half-assed line with holes.

If that strategy could be pulled off, then yeah, you've got the game in the bag. I'm sorry to rip into your strategy like that, but it sounds a little too risky to me, thats all.

I think the best idea would be to move your front-line just up to the halfway point in the middle of the board, so when any evil units break through the front lines, your reinforcements will be able to re-deploy before they make it off the table.

Lets face it, evil has some NASTY units that on any given day (since point restrictions have been removed), may have no problem ripping through whatever unit the good side can come up with.
    Last edited by Neferata; February 2nd, 2007 at 16:34.
    My 40K Armies:
    ----------------
    - Thousand Sons
    - Mordian Imperial Guard

- TAU
    - Dark Eldar

My Fantasy Armies:
    ---------------------
    - Lhamian Vampire Counts
    - Empire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE]Do you only ge one unit to play with? if so thats lame, i dont really have a strong urge to go anymore.... Have it so you will be in the middle with a griffon banner in the middle, and just soak up the casualties...QUOTE]

Your only suppossed to bring in 1 unit, but the store will probably be divying out their models to fill in the lines and such. At least, they always do at GW Burlington.

For the second point, the thing is i'm owrking my whole list off of the old Empire book, and what stats i've gotten from calling into the GW before it was released (they told me points values for my warband list). I'm actually buying the book tomorrow before the event starts! So please, if my Halberdiers CAN take a Magic Banner tell me! Or if the Sergeant can take Magic Weapons or such? Please infrom me now!

That strategy sounds awesome until that ungodly large unit of Chosen Khorne Knights smashes through the advancing line and then proceeds to rip through the flanks of each unit, leaving your reinforcements to arrive piecemeal, in a disorganized, half-assed line with holes.
    Yeah, that could be a problem. It was also mentioned by Toast in my painting thread about a massive Ogre unit. The thing is, thats what the Cavalry Re-inforcements beinhd the line are for. If there's a big nasty unit bearing down on the line, a couple of the Cavlary units will be there for support. We should also have some Warmachines to help with that.

Thanks for your criticisim guys. Less than 23 hours till it starts, so keep feeding ideas please!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

What about having a Helblaster with a Master Engineer? I remember having a game like this and you're allowed basically any upgrades you want.

Place it up the top of the Pass (I presume there's a reason they name it this?) and watch even those Knights get ripped into gory little pieces.

Or else use Greatswords with 2 Detatchments. A group of Handgunners should bring down these guys in pretty significant amounts and Halberdiers should also do very well. Give your Greatswords a War Banner, especially against Undead, those CR points sure will help.

With 20 greatswords and couple of Detatchments, one of Handgunners and one of Halberdiers, you'll be one tough cookie to beat.

archonfarseerguy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While your input is halpful archon, I would need to GET the models you mentioning before I could do any of that. The models listed in my first post are what I have.

+ Reply to Thread