best detachment size - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best detachment size

i was just wondering what people think is the best detachment size/formation
    10 strong in 5 by 2
    9 strong in 3 by 3
    8 strong in 4 by 2
    or larger or smaller

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I'm a fan of the 3x3 formation.

As it minimises the amount of enemy models in contact to 4 at most.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Ya the new 3x3 formation looks and fits very well in my list. I would have to say IMO it will probally be the norm for awhile now for how flexible it is.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

My combat detachments i use 2x5 or 2x4 most of the times and for shooting its uselly 1x5 or 2x5 just depends on who i am fighting and the points i am playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the advantages of a 3 by 3 formation? You can't get ranks and you get less attacks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the advantages of a 3 by 3 formation? You can't get ranks and you get less attacks.
    No problem
    The advantage is better manouvrability (can squeeze better through gaps than a 4 or 5 wide detachment) and you also get attacked less, since a maximum of 5 other models can get into contact with you (or even less if the opponent comes on larger bases :shifty: ) and with less attacks being directable against the detachment it will be harder to reduce it below US5.

As for having less attacks: well, empire infantry seldom wins through kills anyways and the extra attacks hardly make any count (this in combination with the risk of getting attacked if you don't kill is quite a bummer)
    Of course, this also depends on the detachment itself. Free Company with their two hand weapons would be quite viable to field them 5 wide (thus getting 10 Attacks); Spearmen with their two ranks might also be usable like that (if the opponent still stands after the first combat round, that is :shifty: )
    It ain't easy bein' green... :-)

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

the only viable use of the detachments is to remove rank bonuses. 3x3 minimizes the amount of kills the detachment can take without losing its 5+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Thank you for explaining Orkbert and buckero0.
    I disagree with buckero0 on one point though. A detachment can be used to waste an enemy units time by overunning away from the main battle or could set up a position so that when charged the perant unit gets a flank. Both of thse can be done with less than 5 US.
    I do agree, after being explained the reasoning, that 3x3 is better for manovourability and space conservation in your battle line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The downside to a 3x3 is that if it gets charged (which it will eventually), it puts you down in combat res by another 1. So against something with 3 ranks, a standard, and obviously an outnumber, you go into combat down by 5, which you won't make up with 3 models attacking.

After destroying the poor detachment in one round of combat, the charging unit will probably be beyond the parent unit, making them unable to charge into the flank in the next turn. Of course, you could just rely on double 1's to save the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"There is nothing as sure in the world as the glitter of gold and the treachery of Elves."

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Biff'd View Post
    The downside to a 3x3 is that if it gets charged (which it will eventually), it puts you down in combat res by another 1. So against something with 3 ranks, a standard, and obviously an outnumber, you go into combat down by 5, which you won't make up with 3 models attacking.

After destroying the poor detachment in one round of combat, the charging unit will probably be beyond the parent unit, making them unable to charge into the flank in the next turn. Of course, you could just rely on double 1's to save the day.
    that's my point though, detachments aren't mean to fight. They are not going to win any battles, just like a warmachine crew is not going to win any fights. You don't get a bonus for being 5-wide, only for having 2nd and 3rd and 4th ranks 5 wide. If the enemy has that many fast moving units, or throw away units that you can't charge him and he's knocking out all your detachments, then maybe have 2 detachments available. The unit that charges a detachment has to be a fast moving or throw away unit to even get to your detachment if position correctly.

+ Reply to Thread