Empire Cavalry - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Empire Cavalry

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Empire Cavalry

I would love to play the empire this summer but the only thing holding me back is the fact that their state troops are so expensive money wise. In an ideal world I would probably be using around 75 - 100 infantry in a 2000 list (this is including detachments). But then I thought of using lots of cavalry in my list and so was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experience with empire cavalry lists.

I know other races can do the all mounted lists a lot better. High Elves, Brets and Chaos spring to mind but I really want to use the new rocket battery in my list, as well as my beloved mortars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

The problem with Empire cavalry comes with the fact that their fast cav units are special choices, where your mortars and cannons will come from, and their heavy cavalry, although extremely well armoured, has a movement penalty attached to it's barding.

This can be remedied on one unit by use of a magic banner, (can't remember the name), but that is only one unit. Meanwhile, you will have very few rank and file troops to save your warmachines from their impending doom, of fast cav that can out maneuvre you, or magic you may not have prepared for.

Try writing a list, and I will do my best to critique it, but if you want all cav, the brets are the way to go.

:ninja: out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

It's not really a case of wanting all cav, more a case of wanting Empire and a list with lots of cavalry being the cheapest option money wise. I'm gonna head down and buy the 7th ed Empire book tomorrow so I should have a list up in the next couple of days

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Can you not proxy a list? Or is that not to your liking? I would think it would be more expensive to buy an army that you may not like or enjoy playing than one that would last a lot longer, but take much more time and investment to build. One alternative would be to shop online for the older models. I've collected almost a 2000pt army of Empire that I built from bits and parts of older models for at least half the cost of GW's sale price.

I have to agree that the Empire's special choices are all great (hard to pick) but a mostly cav army would make it difficult to be competative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Hey Stone,

I run a couple of Empire lists, 1 is actually ALL Cav {except some Huntsmen} and 1 is Order of the Holy Cannonball force [my other two are grunt/gunline and the 4th is just odd].

Empire Cav can work great either way, and yeah they really can help drive the price you pay $ wise for your army down in a good proper mixed list.

All Cav is maybe not so good as the could be with Pistoliers last edition but it's balanced in other ways.

You just have to make sure you mix them with other stuff from the army to be effective but you sound like you got the knack of that part of the Empire down. It's just making sure you compensate for the fact they aren't Brets.

Also to solve the Fast Cav problem, don't forget if you're willing to forgo something in your Rares, you can always take Dogs of War Light Cavalry. I do that in my all Cav Empire list (the other Rare being a Steamtank, since I allowed myself NO immobile war machines in it).

In terms of mixing in just some say Knights with a more ground pounder force, it's possible to use heavy cavalry to be a very solid flanking unit to infantry. Otherwise they can also work fine as a solid flank on one side. It just takes some practice either way so. In terms of mixing say Pistoliers or Outriders, well Outriders are pretty self explanatory and Pistoliers are dependant on what else you bring but they're excellant for wizard or war machine hunting which is a must if you're depending on slow troop blocks you don't want chewed up before they cross the table.

Any chance you have a theoretical list to post up in the army list section here?
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

523 (x8)

Any chance you have a theoretical list to post up in the army list section here?
    Sure I'm going to grab myself a copy of the 7th ed Empire army book tomorrow so should have a list up in the next couple of days. Will post in army lists but will link in this thread also

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

ive got a pretty standard empire army but i like the idea of an Empire army made entirely of cavalry- id use Kislevite troops as well, with the galloper gun dogs of war as artillery back up
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread