VW FBVW MkIII Round 1: Match 12 - The T. of Kazzad Dolvir v. The Merciful Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW MkIII Round 1: Match 12 - The T. of Kazzad Dolvir v. The Merciful Legion

Map 12 - Rolling Hills

First Turn = The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir

The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir

lords and heroes

Thane – General
    Rune of stone
    Shield
    Master rune of Swiftness
    Rune of cleaving
    Rune of fury
    142 points

Thane
    Battle Standard
    Master rune of gromril
    Rune of striking
    125 points

runesmith
    master rune of balance
    rune of stone
    shield
    127 points

Core

Dwarf Warriors 24 (runesmith)
    Shields
    Full command
    241 points

Dwarf Warriors 25
    Shields
    Full command
    250 points

Longbeards 19 (BS
    Shields
    Great weapons
    Full command
    Master rune of grungi
    341 points

Special

IronBreakers 19
    Shields
    Full command
    Rune of courage
    307 points

2 Bolt throwers
    2X engineers

Bolt thrower
    Engineer
    Rune of penetration
    85 points

Rare

Gyro Copter

Organ gun

Power Dice: 2
    Dispell Dice: 6

rune of stone +1 to armour
    master rune of swiftness always strikes first
    rune of cleaving +1 S
    rune of fury +1 A
    master rune of gromril 1+ save
    rune of Striking +1 WS
    master rune of balance -1 powerdice from enemy's pool +1 dispell dice to dwarf pool
    master rune of grungi 5+ ward against shooting and magic missiles to all models in 6"
    rune of courage immune to fear and terror
    warmachine engineer BS4
    rune of penitraiting +1 S to warmachines

2 PD
    6 dispell (one from the enemy powerdice pool)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Merciful Legion

Anoktuken the Laconic, Tomb Prince: 129 Pts
    - General
    - Great Weapon
    - Collar of Shapesh

Qa’a the Vizier, Liche High Priest: 340 Pts
    - 3rd level equivalent wizard
    - Hierophant
    - Cloak of the Dunes
    - Neferra’s Plaques of Mighty Incantations
    - Golden Ankhra

Sabachizzar, Liche Priest.
    - 2nd level equivalent wizard

Weneg, Liche Priest: 280 Pts
    - 2nd level equivalent wizard
    - Casket of Souls

Skeleton Bowmen x15

Skeleton Bowmen x15

Skeleton Bowmen x15

Skeleton Bowmen x15

Skeleton Bowmen x10

Tomb Guard x20: 295 Pts
    - Full Command Group
    - Banner of the Undying Legion
    - Anoktuken the Laconic, Tomb Prince will be in this unit

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Screaming Skull Catapult
    - Skulls of the Foe

Total Points: 1999

Incantation Dice: 7

Dispel Dice: 4

Magic Item Descriptions:

- Collar of Shapesh: On a 4+ roll, wounds inflicted on the wearer can be transferred to another model within 4"

- Cloak of the Dunes: Wearer can fly, but not charge. He pursues 3d6

- Neferra's Plaques of Mighty Incantations: Bearer may re-roll the dice rolled for an incantation he has recited. He must re-roll all or none.

- Golden Ankhra: Wearer has a 4+ ward save.

- Banner of the Undying Legion: Casts a power level 3 healing incantation on the unit that is carrying it. Restores 1d6 wound points to a Tomb Guard unit.

- Skulls of the Foe: Panic saves against shots by this SSC are taken at -1 leadership

General Tactics:

One Scorpion will use ICFB in an attempt to flank enemy units from behind/the side. The other will remain above ground and try to run down enemy crewed artillery.

The Skeleton bowmen will initially have 10 in their front rank. If feasible, they will try to to reform into ranks of five before being charged. Two units will attempt to shoot down lone heroes & monsters, while the other two will focus on larger units.

The SSC will target large enemy units

The Tomb Guard unit will attempt to flank enemies once they charge the skeleton bowmen.

Last edited by Spector; July 27th, 2007 at 04:17.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Dwarfs have too much dispel power and a better shooting phase. Dwarfs also win in hand to hand. I have to vote Dwarfs here.

TK fear doesn't seem a factor as any large units will be whittled down by the time they engage the enemy.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

The Merciful Legion wins this.

The Tomb Kings have a plethora of shooting that will all be up on hills. The sheer amount of shots that they will be firing, including catapults and the casket, will wear down the dwarves. The Bolt Throwers won't last long after the Tomb Scorpions get into them, and against Skeleton Archers in 2 ranks max, they aren't that effective anyways. The Tomb Kings can easily just ressurect back casualties. On top of all this, the Dwarves are a mainly CC force and must footslog it all the way across the board, not reaching CC until turn 5 prolly, maybe 6. The Tomb King archers can move backwards and fire without penalty, so the Dwarves will have a hard time chasing them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomb Kings are where the good money's on in this matchup. Their large shooting numbers, extra shooting rounds, and ability to bring back dead ones will help them give the dwarves a run for their money in this game. These Tomb Kings would get slaughtered by a close combat army, but the dwarves' slow movement saves them from a painful smackdown. They won't probably live past the first round in votewar due to their fragility, but they're a shoe-in for this match.
    Tyranids 1850 - 10/0/0 Models sold off, but I still sometimes play with proxies.

High Elves 2000 - 0/1/1 Starting, don't have any models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

The "merciful" legion has got this one in the bag. He's got just the picture perfect deployment zone for his list. I've seen matchups like this way too many times between shooty armies and melee heavy dwarves and the dwarves just never can seem to pull it off. They get chewed up as they inch across the field. What ranged attacks the dwarf player does have will be of little effect against 2 rank skellies.

Also keep in mind that the TK has massively understated his PD pool for some reason. He's going to be casting at the equivalent of 11 PD, 13 if you count the casket. The LHP alone is enough to match the Dwarves DD and with the Plaque he's almost assured better than average rolls.

The Merciful Legion wins this hands down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hate to say it, but I have to agree: the TKs are out-shooting the dwarves in this match-up. By alot. I have to side with Tomb Kings, as the dwarf list could only have worked if their movement was at least 4-5" each model. This slow an army against one with fair mobility is a massacre waiting to happen, although I don't expect much to come from the TK's magic phase.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Well I have to disagree with the general conscensus of how good the Tomb King shooting is here. The have 70 arrows firing if the tomb kings can fire all out. They hit on a 5, which gives you 24 hits if you round it up. This then will produce 8 wounds on the toughness 4 Dwarves, giving you 4 casualties a turn from it's troops.

If the Dwarf uses the correct dispels. (IE double firing on the catapult), he will survive the damage relatively ok. His own warmachines will be less effective, but he does have the gyrocopter, which can go and use it's steam cannon to wear down a unit. And the Bolt Throwers could be used to target the Tomb Guard, or the tomb scorpian wwhich will be above ground.

In the end, they may not get to close combat until turn 5, but when they do, the dwarves will walk it.

Dwarves for the win
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Ok now that I’m here I’d like to point out some factors worth noting.

1: the master rune of grungi. so far people have made comments on the tomb kings being superior in shooting. I would like to point out that 3 of the 4 dwarf combat blocks have a 5+ ward against shooting and magic missiles. giving not 4 wounds but between 2 and 3.

2: the shooting from the skeletons is simply not enough to stop the dwarves from reaching the tomb kings. Between the 5+ ward and the 4+ (3+ on ironbreakers) saves the tomb kings would be lucky to destroy 1 unit of dwarves. Panicing the dwarves is also not an option as the long beards give panic re-rolls to any nearby units. ld9 re-rolls.

3: the tomb kings lack any major form of combat support bar the tomb guard who would probably end up squaring off against the iron breakers.

4: Fear is also a negligible factor as the tomb kings units are just too small to outnumber the dwarves. Of course flanking may come into effect but clever manoeuvring (in my case an echelon swinging from the table end backwards) would remove the tomb kings chances of bringing their smaller units to bear. Only 1 combat unit in the dwarf army is critically vulnerable to the fear and that would be the longbeards… who in all honesty will probably win every combat they take part in between their WS, S, T, and save. Not to mention the thane lending another 3 attacks.

5: due to the even number of dispel to power dice in this match the tomb kings would be unable to make use of their moves in the magic phase as often as needed and would actually be slower than the dwarves, significantly so.

6: the tomb spiders would only be able to arrive after 2(!) rounds of dwarf shooting. Quite obviously shooting at the skeleton units would be a wasted effort so the logical targets would be the SSC and the casket. 2 rounds of fire is pretty lethal when you are hitting on 4’s and aiming at a stationary target.

i cannot vote in this game but i heed you take note on how useless the tomb kings shooting is in the face of a marching dwarf battle line with a master rune of grungi. Between the toughness, armour, poor undead ballistic skill and a 5+ ward it will be insignificant. This game will come down to combat. And the tomb kings will be unable to cope with the dwarven steamroller.

--- Arklite

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Dwarves

Armour makes most of the TK shooting ineffective, high leadership nullifies the SSC and the Casket of Souls as well.

There's only so far back the table the TK can retreat and once the dwarves get into combat they'll probably winning.

I reckon it will take some lucky shooting and some unlucky armour saves for the TK to get the win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you have to understand. This will be a shooting match. It's 3 Bolt Throwers, an Organ Gun, and possibly a Gyrocoptor versus 60 skeletal bowman, a catapult and a casket of souls. The Tomb Kings win the battle for ranged combat. So, it all comes down to how able arethe dwarves to march up and start breaking up this skeletal army. But, lo and behold, they only have 3" movement. So, cc is out of the option, unless the undead general is not thinking straight.
    Tyranids 1850 - 10/0/0 Models sold off, but I still sometimes play with proxies.

High Elves 2000 - 0/1/1 Starting, don't have any models.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast