VW FBVW MkIII Rd. 2: Match 15 - White Beastherd of Dec. v. The R. H. of Necro R. Doom.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW MkIII Rd. 2: Match 15 - White Beastherd of Dec. v. The R. H. of Necro R. Doom..

Map 6 - Fortified Manor

First Turn = The Ragtag Horde of Necromancer Falricht Doomsayer

The White Beastherd of Deceiverlord

Lord
    Beastlord 162
    Mark of Chaos Undivided
    2xHand Weapon
    Shield
    Armour of Damnation (Chaos Armour, enemy must re-roll successful hits in CC)
    Crown of Horns (5+ Ward, +1 to rally attempts for him and his unit)
    (With Bestigor)

Heroes
    Wargor 114
    Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Battle Standard Bearer
    Heavy Armour
    Pelt of the Dark Young (6+scaly skin save, Magic Resistance 1 for Bearer and Unit)
    (With Bestigor)

Bray-Shaman 106
    Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Level 1, Lore of Beasts (will always use The Bears Anger spell unless stated otherwise)
    Braystaff (+2strength or +2save in CC)
    Dispel Scroll
    Lore of Beasts = Bears Anger

Bray Shaman 106
    Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Level 1, Lore of Beasts (will always use The Bears Anger spell unless stated otherwise)
    Braystaff (+2strength or +2save in CC)
    Dispel Scroll
    Lore of Beasts = Bears Anger

Core
    Beast Herd 129
    8 Gor
    12 Ungor
    Foe Render
    Musician

Beast Herd 129
    8 Gor
    12 Ungor
    Foe Render
    Musician

Bestigor Herd 246
    18 Bestigor
    Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Full Command

Tuskgor Chariot
    Mark of Chaos Undivided

Tuskgor Chariot
    Mark of Chaos Undivided

5 Chaos Hounds

5 Chaos Hounds

Special
    6 Centigor 109
    Musician

4 Minotaurs 176
    2xHand Weapons
    Mark of Chaos Undivided

4 Minotaurs 176
    2xHand Weapons
    Mark of Chaos Undivided

Rare
    4 Dragon Ogres 316
    Great Weapons
    Light Armour
    (5+ Scaly Skin)

Total Points: 1999
    Power Dice: 4
    Dispel Dice: 4 (2 Dispel Scrolls)

Army Rules:
    The Mark of Chaos Undivided – Character, Unit or Chariot may re-roll failed Psychology tests

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ragtag Horde of Necromancer Falricht Doomsayer

1 Master Necromancer @ 310 Pts
    General; Magic Level 4; Necromancy
    Cloak of Mist and Shadows
    Obsidian Amulet
    Magic = Invocation of Nehek, Hellish Vigor, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Hand of Dust

1 Necromancer
    Magic Level 2; Necromancy
    Magic = Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

1 Necromancer
    Magic Level 2; Necromancy
    Magic = Invocatoin of Nehek, Hellish Vigor

20 Zombies

20 Zombies

20 Zombies

20 Zombies

15 Skeleton Warriors @ 160 Pts
    Light Armour; Shield; Standard

15 Skeleton Warriors @ 160 Pts
    Light Armour; Shield; Standard

4 Fell Bats

10 Grave Guard @ 187 Pts
    Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard
    Banner of the Barrows

2 Spirit Hosts

1 Banshee

1 Black Coach

Casting Pool: 10

Dispel Pool: 6 (0 Scrolls)

Models in Army: 131

Total Army Cost: 1997

Cloak of Mist and Shadows: Model is Ethereal
    Obsidian Amulet: 4+ ward save against magical attacks and Magic Res (1)
    Banner of the Barrows: All wights hit on 3+

Last edited by Spector; July 31st, 2007 at 21:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

For this game I will be using both warhound units in Ambush, and i will bring them on the turn before i plan to co-ordinate my charges, with them able to flank and rear charge the enemy units to deny their Rank bonus.

The Centigors will be moving towards the enemy along my right side of the field, using the Woods to cover them and launch a flank asssault from.

The Beast Herds will begin providing cover for the Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres, incase of any possible magical assault. The Herds will move towards the flanks of the army to allow the heavy hitters to charge in quickly and begin dishing out the pain. The Herds will provide general support where needed. Each herd will be lead by Bray Shaman, for their protection, obviously unless it would be more advantageous for the Shaman to leave the herd mid game.

With the opponant choosing to deploy in one corner, it may protect his flanks a little, but it wont be much help against the ambushers, and it will also allow me to concentrate chargers, with multiple hard hitting units being able to charge only a few units at a time, allowing me to kill off separate units faster. Also it means with the Undead army concentrated into such a small space, they will have less manouvribilty and are less likely to be able to form a decent counter attack once my beasts reach his lines.

As in my first game, the opponent causes fear, and the beasts can be vulnerable to this. However The Mark of Chaos Undivided allows me to reroll failed Psychology tests, and Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres also cause fear. The only units at any real risk are the Beast herds and the Centigors. Even then they can use the General’s Leadership if he is nearby.

At first my Magic defense looks quite weak, but as not all the VC spells will be usable all at the same time, I would be able to selectively dispel his key spells. Most people will look and assume that a 6 dice advantage will give the Undead a huge magic offensive superiority, but bearing in mind that some spells will not be cast due lo low rolls, and the occasional miscast coming up, even with just 4 Dispel dice I should be able to shut down the key effectiveness of the Vampire’s magic offense, with the scrolls being used when I really need them.
    Also the BSB provides the Bestigor unit with Magic Resistance 1, which can be good for consistent countering of offensive spells.

Shooting won’t play much of a part in this game, so this phase can be ignored totally.

The hard hitters, namely the Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres, will take two turns to reach the lines of the Vampire Counts. Once there, each unit of 4 should easily be able to charge a different unit, even one of the units of 20 zombies, and wipe them out through kills and combat resolution by my next turn. From there they can each proceed to smash through the other units, including any undead raised from spells.

The Bestigor, along with my general, will not be far behind, and if I do happen to loose a combat then the Battle Standard will come in handy for re-rolling break tests, and combined with the general’s leadership this should be enough to hold my units in combat until they wipe the enemy out, although with the number of high strength attacks my hard hitting units get, they should stack up plenty of kills and win combats easily enough, making the undead crumble to their deaths.

The Dragon Ogres can make a mess of the Black Coach on their way through the army, they have S7 and the coach counts as a chariot.

The main chargers will be supported by the Warhounds, hopefully having ambushed effectively and been able to charge the Rears of Flanks of units, denying their Rank Bonus and giving me extra Combat Res for flank charges.

The Centigors will also be moved swiftly up the flank in order to coordinate with the other chargers, simultaneously hitting the enemies Flanks or Rear.

The Beast Herd units will be able to move swiftly around the field, going after the smaller units, fell bats, grave guard, and also charging the ethereal units and beating them on combat resolution if need be.
    Last edited by Phoenix; July 31st, 2007 at 15:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In this particular situation, I would take a defensive posture. I outnumber the opponent, and there is no need for me to charge forward, the Beastherd army with it's ambushing units instantly becomes the beatdown army of this match. So, for this particular situation, my entire army would be deployed inside this area of my deployment zone:

Inside this area of the map, I can easily protect my flanks and rear from ambushing units with just a few units, probably the skeletons and spirit hosts and leave the rest to deploy in a wide quarter circle around the two edges. My Necromancers would be between these units, using the opening turn to put extra zombie units on the rear side and spending the rest of the game casting Invocation of Nehek wherever it is needed the most. The Banshee will stay just behind the lines, going where ever she is needed to use her shooting weapon.

The Black Coach would be placed as close to the Dragon Ogres as possible and be moved in such a way as to lead them away from my main line. If the Black Coach is not chased by the Dragon Ogres it will immediately move for the general's unit to hold him back as long as possible. The Felbats would be used where they are most useful, either hunting lone Bray Shamans or staying behind with the Spirit Hosts to intercept the Ambush units. The rest of my units would be focused on simply holding the line and using my limitless hordes to eventually bring down the enemy. The Grave Guard would be held off to the side right side behind the building, and used to flank charge the enemy units after they charged me.

After that, it simply comes down to the variables of combat, which can never be accounted for. While the Beast army has a very sold punch to it, with even two turns of magic, the zombies could be fortified enough to withstand it, and after that happens, the Beast regiments will quickly be hit on their side and rear by new zombie units popping up around them. I believe this game would come down to the initial charge of the Beastherd, if it didn't break the line immediately, they would simply swing away as zombie after zombie comes up again to take even more hits while they are slowly surrounded by zombies.

While a few spells may miscast over the course of the game, that combined with the meager DD of my opponent's army list will not significantly effect the over all effectiveness of my spells. It is just as likely for my spells to be cast with irresistible force as it is for them to be miscast and a 6 PD difference over his DD is still very much significant. The more dice are thrown into a spell, the more often averages bear themselves out.

In any event, this would be a very hard fought match, even if I do believe the Beast Herd army would quickly petter out after it's initial charge, and in a real world match I would expect a draw more often than not between these two armies.
    Most important rule when facing any army with the Imperials is that you have to play like you have nothing to lose. Go big, or go home. Play like you have a pair. You cannot fight the enemy with subtlety or else you will get demolished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Deceiver View Post
    At first my Magic defense looks quite weak, but as not all the VC spells will be usable all at the same time, I would be able to selectively dispel his key spells. Most people will look and assume that a 6 dice advantage will give the Undead a huge magic offensive superiority, but bearing in mind that some spells will not be cast due lo low rolls, and the occasional miscast coming up, even with just 4 Dispel dice I should be able to shut down the key effectiveness of the Vampire’s magic offense, with the scrolls being used when I really need them.
    That is one of the funniest things I've read all week.
    I'm guessing for the first few turns (at least, if not all game) his regular necromancers will only be casting 7+ Invocation with 3 dice, which maximises the chance of him casting it and also means you either have to scroll it or use up most of your dispel dice on one spell (or let it through).
    In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if Invocation was the only spell used for the whole game.

So without further ado my vote goes for The Ragtag Horde of Necromancer Falricht Doomsayer.
    His smart use of the terrain has minimized his weaknesses (flank attacks) and the natural choke point plays to his strengths by focusing the enemy into his charge absorbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VCs ability to hedgehog this one and then summon zombies behind the beast heards makes this a clear victory for the undead.
    When life gives you lemons, beat it over the head and take its wallet.

Army W/L/D
    Emperors Children: 66/27/19
    Imperial Guard: 71/27/10
    Space Marines: 9/17/2
    Eldar: 41/34/25
    WFB
    Skaven: 79/36/35
    Chaos: 23/20/46
    High Elves: 35/27/6

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Hmmm. This is an interesting battle. It all depends on how fast the Beastmen can get to the Necros line. If the beasts had got the first turn, then they would have made the undead line before the end of turn three, allowing him to dispel most of the spells that the Necro's could use to raise roadblocks with his dice and scrolls.

This would have then just left it to a straight close combat fight, which the undead would never win. The minotaurs alone can cause 7 wounds on average to a zombie unit per turn. Even with the ranks and outnumbering, the zombies would still be losing combat by 3 after the first turn. So that's a unit of 20 cut in half. Even with a magic backing them up, it still leads to a drawn combat on average, as the average roll on 2 dice is 7 plus 2 for the raising of more zombies. In fact, before the Minotaurs have to worry, they would have to be flanked and rear charged.

And that is a unit that can't get static combat res. The ones that can will also dish out some damage to the main line of the Necros horde.

In the end this is magic vs close combat ability. The VC's can't compete anywhere near as well when the Beasts come into close combat, and if the Beasts can dispel 1 of the Invocations per turn, then that will lead to the Beasts slowly overwhelming the VC's in combat.

I am going to go for the beasts. It could go either way, but their combat prowess is just higher.

:ninja: out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

The beastmen don't have anything that can provide a clear break through to finish off the Undead combined with the various nasty troops at the undead disposal (banshees for example) added to to the clear and undisputed Undead dominance of the magic phase means a clear victory for the Undead
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Have to go Vampire counts
    I just think that there is too much for the Beasts of chaos to kill. Though some of their units have lots of attacks, they wont be able to create enough combat resolution to competely destroy units. This measn they'll got bogged down in a war of attrition that they cant hope to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the vampire counts have so much stuff and so much magic to sumon more stuff that the beastmen will get bogged down in all their units and wont be able to punch a hole in the undead or get to their mages so i think this is a win for the VC
    I'm Useless :D

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

I don't understand the 10 Grave Guard, but I still think VC can win this one. Even so, it's tough. I've seen units of my skeletons or zombies go down when hit in tandem by a chariot and a unit of monsters. Like Deceiver said, enough wounds and combat res, and the zombies/skellies can vanish in one turn.

If the VC list were constructed a tad differently, I'd go with it, but as it is, I think Beasts can win this through sheer brutality and smart use of ambushing units.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast