VW FBVW MkIII Rd. 3: Match 25 - Throng of Kazzad Dolvir vs. Angry Bobs Shiny Shambles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW MkIII Rd. 3: Match 25 - Throng of Kazzad Dolvir vs. Angry Bobs Shiny Shambles

Map 3 - Desert Obelisk

First Turn - The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir

The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir

lords and heroes

Thane Ė General
    Rune of stone
    Shield
    Master rune of Swiftness
    Rune of cleaving
    Rune of fury
    142 points

Thane
    Battle Standard
    Master rune of gromril
    Rune of striking
    125 points

runesmith
    master rune of balance
    rune of stone
    shield
    127 points

Core

Dwarf Warriors 24 (runesmith)
    Shields
    Full command
    241 points

Dwarf Warriors 25
    Shields
    Full command
    250 points

Longbeards 19 (BS
    Shields
    Great weapons
    Full command
    Master rune of grungi
    341 points

Special

IronBreakers 19
    Shields
    Full command
    Rune of courage
    307 points

2 Bolt throwers
    2X engineers

Bolt thrower
    Engineer
    Rune of penetration
    85 points

Rare

Gyro Copter

Organ gun

Power Dice: 2
    Dispell Dice: 6

rune of stone +1 to armour
    master rune of swiftness always strikes first
    rune of cleaving +1 S
    rune of fury +1 A
    master rune of gromril 1+ save
    rune of Striking +1 WS
    master rune of balance -1 powerdice from enemy's pool +1 dispell dice to dwarf pool
    master rune of grungi 5+ ward against shooting and magic missiles to all models in 6"
    rune of courage immune to fear and terror
    warmachine engineer BS4
    rune of penitraiting +1 S to warmachines

2 PD
    6 dispell (one from the enemy powerdice pool)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angry Bobs Shiny Shambles

Characters:

Night Goblin Great Shaman (Angry bob) - 275
    level 4
    The pipes of doom
    warboss ums best boss hat
    dispel scroll
    Little Waagh: 1, 2, 3, 4

Black orc big boss (general) - 134
    heavy armour
    biggeds kickin boots
    enchanted shield

Orc shaman - 150
    level 2
    horn of urgok
    waagh paint
    Big Waagh: 1, 5

night goblin shaman - 130
    level 2
    nibblas itty ring
    dispel scroll
    Little Waagh: 3, 5

Core:

25 orcs - 180
    shields
    full command

20 orcs - 150
    shields
    full command

28 night goblins - 157
    spears
    full command
    1 fanatic

5 spider riders

5 spider riders

Special:

20 black orcs - 318
    shields
    full command

3 spear chukkas

goblin wolf chariot - 66
    extra wolf
    extra goblin

Rare:

Giant - 205

total - 2000exact

Power dice: 10 + two bound spells
    Dispel dice: 6 + 2 scrolls

Magic items:
    Pipes of doom: all cavalry, monsters and chariots within 24" take a panic test. (cant be stopped)
    Warboss ums best boss hat: 5+ward
    horn of urgok: bound spell, power level 5. My units get +1 leadership till next turn, enemy units get -1leadership till next turn. (on a roll of one afterwards caster takes a strength 5 hit)
    waagh paint: +2 to cast in combat
    nibblas itty ring: bound spell, power level 3, casts eadbutt. (on a roll of one afterwards caster takes a strength 5 hit)
    Biggeds kickin boots: +1 attack (enchanted item)

Spell preferance:
    Night goblin great shaman: 2, 4, 6, 3, 5, 1 (little waagh)
    Night goblin shaman: 2, 4, 6, 3, 5, 1 (little waagh)
    orc shaman: 4, 3, 5, 1, 2, 6 (Big waagh)

Stratedgy:
    The General will go with the larger unit of orcs, coupled with the black orcs this will give me two big units immune to animosity, and getting the extra movement when I waagh!. These would set up in the centre, with the night goblins and chariot on one flank and the smaller orc unit and giant on the other. (this is however very rough and would change according to who i was battling and the terrain. Its just a general plan)
    The great shaman would probably go in the black orc unit, to make sure he could cast spells every turn, where as the other shamans would go ti alone unless, the enemy had plenty of missiles in which case they'd hide in units.

In terms of winning the games, im a firm beleiver that it is leadership tests that determine a battle, therefore the idea is to make my opponents take as many as possible, at the lowest leadership possible.
    To this end, i hope to combine the pipes of doom with a turn when the horn of urgok has worked. If my opponent is saving dice for it, then they'll be being pummeled by gork and mork.
    Horn of urgok will also help my own leadership tests.
    The spear chukkas will also most likely combine fire, especially against large targets to cause wounds, and small units, to have the maximum chances of causing panic tests.

Thats abouts it, but i'll add more for each battle when i know who im playing and the set up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

Iím sure Iím being thrown at the magic armies out of spite...

Ok... unlike other games Iím not quite as bad off in magic vs. dispel. With 6 dice against 9 I can reasonably deal with the magic most of the time and stop more dangerous spells according to my judgement.

What I am happy to note is that this O&G has shooting inferiority to my dwarves and i have the advantage of forcing the enemy towards me. my combat troops are significantly superior to boot. (yay!)

Deployment.

Due to having the top deployment i would position myself in the top right hand of the board to make use of my superior shooting and force an O&G advance. The obelisk, while providing cover for enemy troops, will act as a hindrance for the enemy assuming they want to move around it. Formed up in the corner I would form a rounded wall formation to protect my flanks with the table edge holding one side and an organ gun holding the other.

the spear chukkas will be significantly weakened by the addition of the 5+ ward over the bulk of my combat troops and their horrendously poor BS. (If the 5+ ward is saved the bolt stops immediately, meaning Iíve got a good chance of stopping it and it only causing damage against one or two dwarves at any one time. between this and my T I can't see the spear chukkas being any match for my bolt throwers.

The giant is an easy target for the bolt throwers and shouldn't live all that long. Same goes for the wolf rider chariot (S7 bolt thrower = win)

The gyro copter will be on harassment duty making use of its huge move and steam gun to not only March block and cause damage but lure out the fanatic as soon as possible. Something not too hard to do seeing as i have first turn. it can then go on to assault the enemy spear chukkas.

The orcs will be unable to break through the dwarf lines without support on the flanks much to my glee and I suspect that my shooting (BT's and the organ gun) will make sure my flanks are very much secure.

The dwarves also have a significant advantage in combat thanks to hatred. now not only do i have superior combat prowess but I get re-rolls to boot. And in all honesty baiting me out of my battle line with charges won't be that big a problem as Iíve only get a 6" charge leaving me easily in range of support and rescue from the rest of the army.

my general summery.

Movement advantage: orcs and goblins but a dwarven flyer is in the mix both march blocking and causing damage, potentially meaning the O&G donít reach until turn 5 depending how long the gyrocopter lives.

Magic advantage: 0rcs and goblins but a solid dwarf magic defence.

Shooting advantage: dwarves. With a 5+ ward on the larger blocks, the organ gun for short range death and 3 BS4 bolt throwers (one of which is S7) the O&G army is not only outgunned and outclassed but unable to seriously damage the dwarves.

Combat advantage: dwarves. With more elite level combat units and hatred on their side the dwarves have the armour, endurance and thanks to hatred the hitting power to beat the orcs into the ground. :shifty:

come sons of grungi! to arms! we've got some grobs and grobi to hammer!

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Im going to hand this one to the Dwaves.
    Their shooting wont be their main damage factor, though it will be enough to take out some of the key Greenskin effectiveness. The O&G magic will be negated easily enough, and i think the dwarf units willn have the edge in close combat. Where large units are concerned, the dwarves equal the O&G, and the dwarf warriors are far better in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir.

The Dwarves will be able to minimize the O&G magic fairly well. The Dwarven warmachines will also do a good job in cutting down some of the O&G numbers. And when it comes to close combat, I would say that at worst, the Dwarves are the equal of the Orcs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Yikes, this is really a tough one. My first reaction was to call Dwarfs, but OG have numbers and the ability to flank and that big ugly giant. With the edge in magic to OG, it's still hard to call.

I think if OG plays it right, gets some flank charges, the battle is theirs, but at some point the OG will hurt themselves with a failed animosity roll or a miscast. I don't know. This one is really tough. I'm going to roll a die...on a 4+ I vote for OG, otherwise it's Dwarfs.

Rattle, rattle, rattle. Ouch, hey! What's that! Spector's slapping me around and telling me to vote for real. {confused}

Okay, I'll just have to think about this one more. My vote will come later.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Vote is going to the Throng of Kazzad Dolvir. The dwarves have just enough dispel dice to take the scary edge off the OnG magic, they have the leadership advantage, and they have a huge range advantage. The OnG force will be in shambles by the time it gets into CC where the dwarves would have been an even match for it if they'd arrived full force.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Right then, three battles, no first turns, no enemy cavalry to use pipes of doom on. curses.

Stratedgy for this one is simple:
    - Speed as fast as possible for the dwarf lines. (involves killing that pesky gyro at the first oppurtunity. foot of gork will do nicely for this (can target any unit on the table, target takes d6 st6 hits. also note the master rune of grungi has no effect on this spell.)
    - Concentrate magic and shooting on the units on the extreme flank of the dwarf line. (not sure how arklite would line them up, but id go for the weakest i.e. warriors, then longbeards).
    - This weakened unit would be charged by black orcs plus general, who would own them in combat, and persue past to be behind the dwarf line.
    - the other units in my army would hold back. until the black orcs had disrupted the dwarf line.
    -At this point the dwarfs can either turn to confront the BLack orcs or chase the rest of my army, an leave the black orcs to come after them (or murder all the war machines, whichever is more sound) Also in breaking up the dwarf line, ill have made them far more vulnerable to getting flank by the spider riders.

Assumptions in plan:
    - dwarfs will have turned giant and chariot into kebab by the time i reach them, if not, and if there is the oppurtunity to, then the giant and chariot will combine charges with the orc units to try and win combats.
    - Though i will definitely try, im sure arklite would make it very difficult for me to my spider riders round his flanks and into the guts of his war machines.
    - note that by shooting my giant and chariot he is leaving the ranked up units at full strength which his will not be.
    - also note he'll need to save dice to stop being at -1 leadership (from horn of urgok) the turn i charge, so ill be free-er to wreck magical havoc on his other units (cough, gorks warpath, cough).

so, basically if i can break though one of the magic and shooting weakened dwarf units with the general and the black orcs then ive got a very good chance of victory.
    (If they dont break through, they most likely get flanked. However, they are pretty tough so might hold and if they dont the pusueing dwarf units will be in a prime position to be flanked themselves.)

anyway, cheers for voting.

WAAAAAAGH!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

not sure how arklite would line them up, but id go for the weakest i.e. warriors, then longbeards
    since you asked so nicly

just adding a bit more info and a nice picture on how i would deploy in this one. hoping i got the scaling right on things. right... a key...

Green blocks = dwarf warriors
    grey block = ironbreakers
    blue block = longbeards
    little blue = bolt throwers
    little green/yellow = organ gun
    little red = gyro

as you can see while i have left the three BT's open to possible attack (assuming the spider riders try to go for them rather than flanking, which Andre has said will be their objective) they have a good commanding view over the battlefield. the organ gun defends the left hand flank and the main battle line making a flanking attack... dangerous to say the least. the formation has only 1 way the enemy can attack it without spending many turns manoeuvring (which Andre has said they will not do and will infact go directly for the dwarves head on) and thatís head on.

Just a note however.

Note that by shooting my giant and chariot he is leaving the ranked up units at full strength which his will not be.
    The giant is hit on 3's on turn one and 2's on turn two with 4's to wound with the normal BT's and a 3+ with the runed one. They cause D3 wounds so would probably tear it apart pretty quickly.

The chariot is auto destroyed by the S7 BT and probably wreaked by the S6 ones.

The organ gun has no real targets apart from units risking a flank attack (spider riders) which it will probably clear in a single round of fire. Meaning it can redirect its fire against the main orc attack (i.e. the black orcs). The same goes for the bolt throwers once they down the giant or significantly weaken the chariot (knock 2 to so wounds off meaning it would be easy enough to deal with even normal dwarves) or after killing it (assuming the S7 hit pulls home)

Happy voting.
    Last edited by Arklite; August 5th, 2007 at 21:41.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

hmmm, a degree of common sense is required here.
    i'd assumed a slightly differant dwarf deployment, with the bolt throwers much better protected and the blocks all together supporting eachother.
    Theres this great big whole now, which i both did not expect and would be foolish not to march my army straight for, you know, divide and conquer. Against this deployment id be inclined with a differant plan.

This is how id pictured my deployment originally. (note. not great with computer imaging, i think my units are probably too wide, but theyd still be as far right as possible.) (the x's mark spear chukkas)

Im going to stick with it, even though in reaction to the way arklite has deployed i would have split the spiders so that there was one unit on each flank and changed the black orcs and the 25orcs around. Deployment is felxible it develops as you can see where your opponent is placing units.

The dwarfs not being maneouvreable means i've actually got a chance to take them on in chunks. the right hand warrior unit first before i had to worry about the other three blocks.

Fair enough, so i said id be trying to flank him with my spiders, (the original deployment would have had them on the left flank) to try and get into the side of the dwarves after the black orcs had broken through, but it doesnt take too much to reposition fast cavalry and take advantage of the situation. With the bolt throwers where they are, the spiders would head straight for them.

Also shooting and magically, the warrior unit being isolated, and the path to support them from the other units being blocked by their own bolt throwers means i'd throw less at this unit. The spear chukkas would instead concentrat on the iron breakers (no armour save) and the offensive magic on the longbeards eg. brain bursta (2d6 st4) if they were in range or foot of gork if they were not, otherwise id probably work on giving one of my units some extra speed with hand of gork. The bound spell of 'edbutt would be cast on the runesmith.

Its a tight battle and one id love to actually play.
    I really think this deployment favours me. but ill let you guys decide...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Seems like the most I can do is echo some of the previous sentiments, so here goes:

Dwarf shooting, while not overwhelming, is more than adequate to take down some key units and make the O&G army be in a big hurry to close the gap. In the meantime, the normal fright of this O&G list's magic capability is mitigated by natural dwarfy resilience. By the time battle is truly joined, Dwarves shall overcome and sing Kumbaya and all that other sissy dwarven stuff.

Victory for The Throng of Kazzad Dolvir.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast