VW FBVW Mk. IV: Round 6 - Match 41: gingerninja v. swntzu - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

FBVW Mk. IV: Round 6 - Match 41: gingerninja v. swntzu

Map = 3. Desert Obelisk

First Turn = gingerninja

The White Host of Caranthir Elensar

Caranthir Elensar: Lorekeeper of the White Tower
    Archmage: 360pts
    Lvl 4
    Book of Hoeth
    Lore of Life - Mistress of the Marsh, Master of the Wood, The Howler Wind, Master of Stone

Elrohir Elensar: Dragon Mage of the Flame Peak
    Dragon Mage: 435pts
    Silver Wand
    Ring of Fury
    Lore of Fire - Flaming Sword of Rhuin, Fiery Blast, Conflagration of Doom

Elessar Arnatuilë: Junior mage of the White Tower
    Mage: 140pts
    Lvl 1
    Staff of Sorcery
    High Magic - Shield of Saphery

17 Spearmen: 176pts (Mage here)
    Full Command

10 Archers

14 Swordmasters: 315pts (Archmage here)
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery
    Bladelord has the Skeinsliver

6 Dragon Princes: 200pts
    Champion

14 White Lions

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

2 Great Eagles

Total: 2246pts
    PD: 9 + D3 + up to 3 ‘free’ dice + 1 Bound
    DD: 6 + +2 to dispel

Silver Wand – Bearer knows 1 extra spell

Ring of Fury – Bound lvl 3 – casts fury of Khaine

Banner of Sorcery - +D3 power dice

Skeinsliver - +1 to first turn roll

Book of Hoeth – All spells successfully cast, including any double, except double 1, are irresistible force

Staff of Sorcery - +1 to dispel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herr Ernst Kartoffelkopf's Gunning Duelists

General of the Empire @ 216
    General; Barding; Full Plate Armor; Shield; Warhorse; Runefang

Captain @ 145
    Pistol; Full Plate Armor; Battle Standard
    Griffon Standard

Battle Wizard @ 115
    Magic Level 1
    2 Dispel Scrolls
    Lore of Heavens - Second Sign of Amul

Warrior Priest of Sigmar @ 138
    Prayers of Sigmar; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour
    Icon of Magnus
    Sigil of Sigmar

24 Swordsmen @ 269
    Full Command
    Detachment - 10 Swordsmen
    Detachment - 5 Handgunners

24 Swordsmen @ 229
    Full Command

20 Greatswords @ 290
    Full Command

10 Huntsmen

5 Inner Circle Black Knights of Morr @ 195
    Full Command
    War Banner

10 Handgunners @ 105
    Marksman
    Hochland Long Rifle

10 Handgunners @ 105
    Marksman
    Hochland Long Rifle

6 Pistoliers @ 132
    Musician
    Outrider
    Repeater Pistol

1 Great Cannon

1 Helblaster Volley Gun

Casting Pool: 3

Dispel Pool: 4 + 2 dispel scrolls

Models in Army: 156

Runefang: All hits wound automatically, no armour saves allowed

Griffon Standard: Ranks count double, up to a maximum of +6

Icon of Magnus: Immune to fear

Sigil of Sigmar: Mag res 1

Last edited by Spector; March 25th, 2008 at 14:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    97 (x3)

They've betrayed us! Man the guns!

-----

Deployment

My big guns will deploy on the right edge of that hill on the left of my deployment zone. The handgunners will deploy left of centre for line of sight down the middle of the field.

My knights will deploy on the left to scoot around the elven flank. The pistoliers will deploy on the extreme right.

As usual, my blocks will deploy on the centre. The greatswords (with bsb and priest) will be flanked by the sword units and relevant detachments.

Finally, my huntsmen will deploy behind the obelisk and pop out to march block and disrupt the enemy attack. Of course my wizard will be hiding in the corner.

Battle Plan

As the elves advance, I will thin their ranks with my guns. The pistoliers will make a run on the hill (where I assume the bolt throwers will be). My hochland rifiles will pick out priime targets although the archmage and dragon mages will be the key candidates. My handguns will be picking out the swordmasters due to their potency in combat.

The cannon will shoot along the elven line and hopefully hit multiple units. If it can see the dragon, then it will aim at that. The hellblaster will fire on the swordmasters.

Once they close, I wil have to rely on static combat res and challenges (in my greatsword unit) to gain combat res. With flanking detachments and such, I should be able to see of a weakened elven line.

As for magic, I won't cast any spells so I can dispel any remains in play spells. I will scroll anything desperate (howler wind). The priest will be praying as usual.

-----

That's it!
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Right, I suppose I will post my tactics then, although as usual, I am going to be very predictable.

Deployment:

The Dragon will deploy directly opposite the two Empire warmachines, and the Bolt throwers and archers will deploy on the hill top to reign fire on the Empire lines. The rest of my army will deploy relatively central, close as they can to the hill, grouped around the Archmages unit to ensure they are useable for the magic phase.

Magic:

My primary magical focus will be to cast the Howlers Wind each turn. This archmage based spell will pretty much nulify all of the empire shooting at the bulk of my army. This protection will serve me well on my advance. This will be supplemented by the magical missile based attacks of the dragon mage, who will receive the rest of the dice for the most part.

The enemy magic is of little concern, as I have +2 to dispel, and the priests bound spell is only low level, I should be able to remove it each turn without fuss.

Shooting:

The first target for my bolt throwers and archers first turn will be those pesky pistoleers. One good round of shooting should significantly limit their numbers, and a second round can be fired if required.

The rest of the time, they will be used to take out units close to my line. The archers will be aimed at the handgunners, and the bolt throwers will hit the cavalry if the opportunity presents itself, if it doesn't then they will hit the greatswords unit first, then work their way through the lines.

Tactics:

The army will advance under the cover of the Howlers Wind towards the enemy line in a nice tight formation. The eagles and dragon princes will charge out when in range to take out either flanks or detatchments, limiting the main empire blocks combat effectiveness.

To ensure that my plan is not hampered to much by the heavy guns of the empire, my dragon will charge towards them turn 1. He should land in range to give them a terror test to deal with each, as well as a breath weapon to further increase panic. This combined with his magical missiles, and bound spell, should mean the end of the war machines in the first turn, either through deaths or panic.

Once in combat, I should have the advantage due to asf and superior weapon skill.

Thats it.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

This is a tricky one though I think High Elves will be victorious.
    Why?

Because of the army's huge magic pool that will, in a couple of turns leave the empire open for attack from DP, dragon and SM. The dragon will most likely cause some units to flee and if one of the handgunners flees swntzu will have problems to handle the speed and force of the elven attack.

GO FANCYPANTS!:party:
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to have to vote for *flips coin* Ninja's High Elves.

I think the HE magic will simply be too much for the Empire, and they will have trouble dispelling...scrolls can't last forever. The Howlers Wind will give GN the cover he needs to get up close, where his asf and higher weaponskill, coupled with the casualties already inflicted by the Dragon Mage's Magic Missiles, will prove too much for the Empire troops.
    Last edited by Chaosundivided; March 25th, 2008 at 19:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

I think that the High Elves will edge this one out. However, in an actual game it would come down to dice rolls in the first two turns. HE needs to get at least one irresistible Howlers Wind in the first 2 turns, otherwise Empire will scroll them away. Also the dragon needs to survive his charge on the war machines and take them out. Both of those seem more probable than not which leads me to give my vote to the elves. The rest of the battle will be hard fought but if the war machines are gone and the Empire cannot fire on the bulk of the Elven army for a turn or two before CC I think the Elves will pull it out in the end. This would be a great battle to see played out as I think it would come down to who can be more successful with their turn 1 & 2 plans.

Master of the Crab Women swntzu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

97 (x3)

Just so you skallywags know, according to the rulebook faq, warmachines (in this case the hellblaster) are not affected by the howler wind.
    Watch this before posting:
    Posting and You

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Thats very true, i think people may be confusing the Howler Wind with the Rain Lord. The Wind wont save G much here... Those WMs could prove nasty. I'm gonna think this one over a bit, right now i'm dead split between the Magic vs the Shooting...

Right now, im swayed slightly towards the Empire. I cant really see either side pulling off a decisive victory tbh, but that hallblaster has quite a bit of damage potential, combined with the Snipers and the Cannon, that dragon could fall fast while the HB makes very shory work of the elf units. The HE magic superiority is amazing, but to win i think they are relying on too much 1st turn magic. The Howler wind needs IF, or it will be scrolled and then the mage sniped / shot. Also master of stone, crucial for taking out the Warmachines but if it fails... i just dont see the HE fairing too well overall i guess.
    Last edited by Phoenix; March 28th, 2008 at 01:03.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

It is between shooting and magic. But I think swntzu's shooting will be easier to eliminate than gingerninja's magic. With the shooting gone and the big guns tangled up, the Empire will be down to ranked units which the High Elves can continue to whittle down with a really nasty magic phase.

This would be another fun one to watch, but I think High Elves can win it mainly because the shooting can disappear a lot more quickly than the magic.

As long as HE's are picky about what combats they enter, they're fine.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; March 27th, 2008 at 14:00.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

*braces self for a bricking*
    I'm actually going with Empire. 2 Scrolls will hold off the Howler Wind for long enough to allow the shooters to do some pretty big damage (we all know how much elves like to get shot). No ++ Save for the Archmage means that once mr zu decides to use his Hochland guns, that pretty armour might turn a nauseating shade of red.

Otherwise, 4 DD will be nigh useless, but even one spell dispelled will help if planned.

The Dragon is a large target, so it may find itself with a few booboos inflicted by the Cannon (being immune to the Howler wind).

The Helblaster will also dye the countryside red once the Elves decide to be brave and come forward.

Finally, there's combat, what convinced me that the Empire can win this. 3 units won't be enough for mr ninja (even if they do strike first) to face the Detachments (swinging the combat by 5, 3 for ranks, one for a flank charge, and one for outnumber). To my mind, there's no way the expensive (and somewhat reduced) units can top honest Empire steel.

This is, of course, before we take into account the Knights who have yet to be mentionedby ninja...

-AFG

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast