VW VW Tourny Round 1: DavidVC04 vs. Phoenix GRUDGE MATCH! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 1: DavidVC04 vs. Phoenix GRUDGE MATCH!

Round 1 - DavidVC04 vs Phoenix

Table - Table 4
    Top Deployment - DavidVC04
    First Turn - Phoenix

DavidVC04's list:

The Wrath of Ike
    DavidVC04's Vampire Counts Army

Ike - Vampire Lord, level 3 wizard, Dreadlance, Crown of the Damned, Dread Knight, Red Fury, Walking Death
    All attacks automatically hit at strength 7. Unsaved wounds give another attack. 4+ ward save. 2+ armor save on barded nightmare, +1 to combat resolution, stupidity.
    Spells: Invocation of Nehek, Raise Dead, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Wind of Undeath

Gustav - Vampire, lvl 1 wizard, Battle Standard Bearer, Dread Knight, Infinite Hatred, War Banner
    2+ armor save on barded nightmare. Lance for str 7 attacks. +1 to combat resolution from the banner and rerolling missed hits every round.
    Spells: Invocation of Nehek, Raise Dead

Hanna - Vampire, lvl 1 wizard, Avatar of Death, Book of Arkhan, Talisman of the Lycni, Ghoulkin
    3+ armor save, bound spell for 8" movement, base movement of 9 for a nasty surprise, ghouls in army get pre-game march.
    Spells: Invocation of Nehek, Vanhel's Danse Macabre

Crypt Ghouls x 20, Crypt Ghast
    Crypt Ghouls x 20
    Crypt Ghouls x 10

Dire Wolves x 5
    Dire Wolves x 5

Black Knights x 8, full command, Banner of Hellfire
    Magical, flaming attacks.

Spirit Host x 3
    Fell Bats x 5

Varghulf
    Varghulf

General Comments:
    Ike's Entourage
    Ike and Gustav join the Black Knights. They start with a static combat resolution of +5. They have a unit banner, the battle standard, the war banner, walking death, and a rank. Ike will have four auto hits at str 7 that can generate more attacks that will also auto-hit. The BSB adds 3 more str 7 attacks that reroll every turn. The wights hit at str 6 and have something nasty against regenerating units with the magical banner. The two vamps can cast IoN on the unit to bring back 2 a turn. At full size, they have unit strength 20 and can auto-break many ranked units before the dust settles. They will hit hard and be difficult to destroy.

Hanna's Ghouls
    The ghouls get free movement before the game starts. Hanna joins one of the bigger units and has the Book of Arkhan to keep the opponent guessing. Also, she has movement 9 to take out targets of opportunity like war machines, fast cav, or to get out of danger if she needs to.

The Rest of the Wrath
    Wolves and bats do what fast units do. Spirit Host are a real problem for the enemy, especially with two Varghulfs raging across the board. They can support the Black Knights if they need to or cause havoc as the game dictates.

They have 7 casting dice and 6 dispel dice, but no scrolls. The give the finger to enemy magic and dare the enemy to bring it on. Enemy wizards won't last long against the knights, Hanna, the Varghulfs, and the other fast units.

Speed, hitting power, and overwhelming force. The Wrath of Ike.

Pre game comments:
    Ike's Black Knights will deploy towards the center of map, on the edge of the lake closest to midfield.

Two units of Ghouls will deploy west of knights, in front of the lake. These will be Hannah's unit, which includes the ghast, and the smallest unit. This ten-man unit of Ghouls will be the west-most unit. Hannah will join the unit of Ghouls next to the knights, probably on the west corner so that units deploying to her right can benefit from marching.

The final unit of ghouls will deploy east of the knights, pretty much dead center.

Both Varghulfs will deploy opposite the edge of the treestand towards the middle of the battlefield so that they can deal with any flanking attempts or cut back towards the hill if needed there. This puts them east of the ghouls. They could also linger back and go crab-hunting on the dunes. They should also serve as a nice chariot deterrent.

Both units of Dire Wolves will deploy west of the ghouls. The Fell Bats will deploy behind the bats. The bats and wolves will gun for whatever's behind the hill, with the bats having the option to help elsewhere.

The spirit host's deployment will depend too some degree on to where he drops his chariots. If there's not a character in the chariots, which there isn't unless that mummifed cowbody perched on a horse joins them, the spirit host can frustrate them a good deal. They could also go to hold the western flank and look either for the hill or to turn in towards the center of the table and hope for flank charges against something.

The knights will look to head wherever they can do the most damage over the course of the game. They'll look for characters to eliminate whenever possible. Hannah and her fancy talisman will look for targets of opportunity, inlcuding magic users.
    VS.

Phoenix's list

Legion of the Scorpion King

Tomb King
    Collar of Shapesh
    Armour of the Ages
    Vambraces of the Sun
    Great Weapon
    Shield

Hierophant
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest
    Skeletal Steed
    Staff of Ravening

Liche Priest
    Casket of Souls

3 Chariots

3 Chariots

24 Skeleton Warriors
    Musician
    Standard Bearer
    Banner of the Undying Legion

20 Skeleton warriors
    Musician

2 Tomb Swarms

4 Ushabti

5 Carrion

Tomb Scorpion

Tomb Scorpion

Screaming Skull Catapult 110pts
    Skulls of the Foe

Incantation Dice: 2x1D6 + 4x2D6
    Bound Spells: 1xPL3 + 1xPL4
    Power Dice: 2
    Dispel Dice: 5 (and -1 to enemy casting rolls) (2 Scorps with MagRes1)

Collar of Shapesh:- Transfer a wound on a roll of 4+ to a model within 4”

Armour of the Ages – 5+ armour save, +1 wound

Vambraces of the Sun – 1 model in base contact loses 1 attack

Cloak of the Dunes – May fly

Hieratic Jar – Cast 1 extra spell for one turn

Staff of Ravening – Bound lvl 4, range 18”, 3D6 Str 2 hits

Banner of the Undying Legion – Bound lvl 3. Casts summoning spell on unit.

Pre game comments:
    Right, i have a hill, so lets make the most of it
    My Casket of Souls will be placed on top of the hill on the right, and the SSC, also on top, to the left of the Casket, both close to the board edge.

In the small gap to the left of the hill, i think ill place a unit of Skeleton Warrior Bowmen, starting in a formation as wide as possible (reforming for combat when needed)

The Ushabti will start just to the right of the hill, with the Kings skeleton bowmen next to them, and some Chariots on the end. The other Chariots will start over the other side, infront of the skellies on the left, and quickly move up the flank of the board or get in a position in front of the hill, depending on the enemy placement and movement.

The Carrion will start behind the main line of Ushabti, Skellies and Chariots, and fly out from there.

One Scorpion will start over by the Forest as a deterrant for anything wishing to come through there, and the other will start on the hill, just infront of the Casket and SSC. from that position it will move down to the front of the hill and sit as a defence against any speedy vampire or similar.

The Swarms can also start over by the Forest. The Hiero will start behind the main lines, and is free to fly to wherever magic is needed. The other Priest will begin inside the King's skellie unit with him, and look to aim the SoRav at targets from there, although he is free to move out across the battlelines to get in range of any necessary targets.

Right, onto tactics:
    If that M9 Vamp comes for me early, he will be made a prime target for a Scorp.

The Black Knights will be an early SSC target, as will the Varghulf's. Those targets are big enough to hit for anyone who can guestimate well, and any scatters have the chance to take out some of the other VC units ofcourse
    The Carrion can go for the Fellbats, and their greater Toughness should see them through.

The Spirit Hosts could be a potential pain... ill throw an SSC shot or two their way (Magical ammo remember) if needs be. If they still keep coming, ill just have to use the old ''beatdown by static combat res'' technique, using skellies.
    The King should be able to hold his own against any of the Vamps, and his skellies provide good backup for numbers.

The Ushabti, as usual, will play a star roll. None of the VC units will be able to start up to their barage of attacks, especially once the Magic starts giving them an extra hand.

The SoRav will begin by taking aim for the Dire Wolves, and if any left try flanking round the forest, remember the Swarms are there to handle them. If anything bigger comes round, then the Chariots can make a swift manouver, along with the Scorp if needed. If anything really big trys coming round (doubtful, its only a small gap, but you never know) then the King and skellies should handle them nicely.

Right, i think thats all the enemy units dealt with tactically, just a few final points to bear in mind:
    As always, early Magic will be focussed on the SSC, with 2 shots a turn it gets really deadly in terms of killing potential. Admittedly, the ItP of the VC will nullify its bonus rule, but it is still Magical, Flaming and denies armour.

With the VC being forced to advance, the Casket will be a threat as always, and even with a Lv3 vamp, my TKs have a huge magic advantage here, with no Scrolls to face and only 6 dice a turn (less once the vamps start dying lol)

On the Magic defensive, the Caskets -1 to enemy casting will be useful as always, and 5 Dispel Dice should be enough to shut down all the key spells.

Once the enemy gets near, ill sitch to offensive tactics with my magic, looking to send my units crashing in for maximum damage.

Finally, good luck Dave, and happy voting people

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Oh crap- Undead vs Undead.

Moving on from my self-inflicted lamentation of my situation, I agree with Phoenix about the Magic Phase. It, to be frank, will be so one-sided that it bears no thinking. Unless I am mistaken, there will be an average of 35 Incantaion dice, unless Phoenix has done some blatant false advertising.

The Scorpion in the forest will serve as the first ever Undead cheerleader, the way I see it. Though the other one should be able to go Hanna-hunting quite comfortable.

I doubt the SSC will accomplish anything game-winning here.

Dave's biggest strengths are the Varghulf that should be able to take out the casket or the SSC turn two, and his unit of BKs.

I actually am really unsure on who will win here. The unstoppable unit of BKs or the ridiculous Magic Phase Phoenix will enjoy.

I'm probably going to have to wait on other's votes here. Vote Withheld- for now.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Well, the Grudge Match is a big one to call..and I'm gonna have a crack at it....Tomb Kings by a Minor Victory

Both armies have great units to deal with each other but the things that tip it for me are the TK's reliable magic, pretty good shooting, and also those Ushabti hitting very hard, even after turn 1.

PLus they got that nice juicy hill to sling some Skulls into those Black Knights.

It's a close one guys. Good luck to both you !

Tim

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This is going to be a really tight game, really really tight.

10 Incantation dice vs 6 Dispel Dice
    Shooting vs None
    Big Beasts and Units vs Some Ushabti and 2 Scorpians

The thing that gets me is that the Tomb Kings don't really have an effective way of stopping all of the large units of the Vampire Counts. They might be able to stop one or two of them, but they have 2 large units of ghouls, which will be closer when the game starts and are better than all but one of the TK units with static res and attack numbers. Then there are the 2 Vargulf Units and then finally the Black Knights.

These will be in the lines by turn 2 and will smash units to pieces, and once combat starts, I can't see the tomb kings winning it.

In the end, there will be casualties, but I can see, with some clever choices on when to throw dice against spells, the Vampire Counts will edge this with a minor victory.
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

This one would be very close. Unbreakable armies facing each other always make for tricky games. While the ridiculous number of Incantations will be a harrowing experience, The sheer speed and power of the Vampire units makes them better in both offense and survivability.

Vampire Counts with a Minor Victory.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Well, Wood Elves are unbeatable don't you know. Of course, now and then we throw a few games so that others don't get too discouraged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

The more I think about it, Phoenix really has an uphill battle.

I can't see the TKs stopping the Varghulf on the left flank fast enough to prevent it hitting the CoS and the SSC.

Barring that, the Black Knight unit will be almost impossible to beat. Even Scorp-assassinating won't do Phoenix any favours, as it will crumble to CRes after the first round anyway (though it it lands a KB on the VC Lord, then the game could go differently).

Dave for a Solid Victory.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I think it will be a Major Victory to the Vampire Counts.

I invision a 2nd turn death of mister hierophant (by the Varghulfs and Fell Bats) followed by a massive charge by that Black Knight unit ripping a whole in the Tomb King line.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    I think it will be a Major Victory to the Vampire Counts.

I invision a 2nd turn death of mister hierophant (by the Varghulfs and Fell Bats) followed by a massive charge by that Black Knight unit ripping a whole in the Tomb King line.

I don;t quite agree it will be major victory, probably tight, but if those VVarhgulfs get to the skellie back line, even the Tomb scorpions are going to be in trouble.

I say Minor Victory to teh Vampire counts, though Hannah might "die" in the process if she has to square off against teh tomb king

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

Minor victory to vampire counts

Varghulfs really give the VC the edge here.
    The Tomb kings have few ways of stopping them, and they'll rip through the important casket and catapult.

The front up battle should be fairly even, maybe even slightly to the Tomb king advantage.
    But the vampires will get down the sides easier and this should turn the battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I think the magic will be the decider.

With no way to stop, or even slow down, the TK's magic and their own raising shut down I think this is just an undead on undead scrum with only one side standing back up. The TKs will get the flanks with urgency charges, and that'll be decisive.

The casket could also be an issue. VC morale is dreadful anywhere except around the boss, in particular the varghulfs and spirit hosts (who want to flank), will suffer from this.

I predict Tomb Kings by solid victory, which might be a massacre if the scorps KB the VKing (8 KB attacks, 4 hits....say 1 6? Then he's got his 4+ ward save)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast