VW VW Tourny Round 1: Arklite vs. The Paint Monkey - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 1: Arklite vs. The Paint Monkey

Round 1: Arklite vs. The Paint Monkey

Table - Table 2
    Top Deployment - Arklite
    First Turn - Arklite

Arklite's list:

Mode the Median’s Average Gathering of Middlemen

(dogs of war)

Lords and heroes

Mode the median
    Hireling wizard lord
    Level 4
    Staff of sorcery
    2Xdispel scrolls
    Pegasus
    360 points
    Spells" Fireball, Flaming Sword of Rhuin, The Burning Head, Wall of Fire

Money-cash the strapped
    Paymaster
    Barded warhorse
    Heavy armour
    Enchanted shield
    Sword of battle
    108 points

Bob the bland
    Hireling wizard
    Level 2
    Dispel scroll
    120 points
    Spells: Fireball, Fiery Blast

Mike the mediocre
    Hireling wizard
    Level 2
    95 points
    Spells: The Burning Head, Fiery Blast

Core

Pikemen [19]
    Heavy armour
    Full command
    239 points

Pikemen [19]
    Heavy armour
    Full command
    239 points

Crossbowmen [10]

Crossbowmen [10]

Light cavalry [5]
    Bows
    Spears
    80 points

Duelists [8]
    Pistols
    72 points

Duelists [8]
    Pistols
    72 points

Special 632

Beorg’s Bearmen [18]
    319 points

Paymaster’s bodyguard [18]
    Full command
    210 points

Rare 170 points

DoW cannon

DoW cannon

Power dice: 10
    Dispel dice: 6 +1 to dispel attempts +3 scrolls

Models in army: 127 (including cannons)

Warcry: BEHOLD OUR AVERAGENESS!

Tactics: a solid in the middle all rounder force nether excelling or weak in any particular area. Tactics would generally play to the enemies weaknesses. Against a slow army I would move to outmaneuver and march block them. Against a shootier army, I would press for combat. Against a combat army I would employ firepower. And so on. Lores of magic will be decided before a game starts as well as spell preferences. Though ideally the lore’s of light, death, shadow and fire will be employed.

Pre game comments:
    Well, quite obviously I’m out numbered here so the key to winning this will be to play to the gobo armies weaknesses. In this case it happens to be a lack of magic defense (3 dice and 2 scrolls) and a lack of heavy firepower. Taking this in mind my gathering of averageness shall be taking a defensive posture, hoping to maximize the effect of my firepower and magic to weaken the goblins enough to tip the balance of combat to my side.

Considering the deployment zone I’ll be making use of the ruins to create a defensive bunker for my missile troops as the defended obstacle and hard cover provided by them will hopefully protect them from enemy counter offensives and attempts to budge them. The battle line will then spread out westwards (assuming the top of the table is north) with both pike units furthest east followed by the paymasters bodyguard and then the bear-men. The two cannons and one of the two crossbow units will take position in the ruins with a good view of the table while the second unit of crossbows will form a screen infront of the bearmen to protect them from baiting. The unit when nessicary should be able to wheel away letting loose my Ursus sapiens to cause some nice frenzied carnage against anything silly enough to get in their way.

A major concern for me in this battle is quite obviously the fanatics, to deal with this threat my fast cavalry and duelists will act as a bait, quickly lunging forwards at the start of the battle in order to lure out the fanatics and have them disrupt the goblins own advance towards me. If successful it should help me counter the numeric advantage of the goblins by hampering their mobility and removing one of their more powerful weapons in a single move.

My cannons main target at first will be the rock lobba; my logic in this regard is that if I can eliminate it I won’t have to worry about my large blocks of troops taking too serious a pounding. The lack of hills helps this as the lobba would more than likely have its line of sight blocks by my screening troops, though little comfort its enough to cause some mild disruption.

Next part of my stratagem concerns magic. Thankfully in this battle it seems my investment in a large power dice pool has paid off. Considering my opponent I have opted for the lore of fire in all three of my mages. My logic in this regard is that due to their low T the mass of S4 magic missiles I should be able to deploy will be ideal for my plan, causing panic tests and removing those incredibly deep ranks. The two level 2 mages will be taking position with the pikemen units and should (logically) have a clear and effective view over the goblin army as it advances. (spell order in preference for level 2’s = 4,5,3,1,2,6). The wizard lord on the other hand will deploy with his Pegasus on the far eastward side of the battlefield. Suspecting that the woods will be used to push through the skirmishing hoppa’s I plan for the wizardlord to fight a ranged battle with the hoppa’s using magic missiles and other tasty spells to bombard the lightly armoured hoppa’s and quickly take them out of the battle (or so I would hope). Spell order in preference = (5,6,4,3,1,2). Due to the presence of 2 dispel scrolls I suspect my magic in the first turn of the game may be somewhat hampered, but once expended I reckon my 7 dice advantage will start to tell. Should the hoppa’s deploy on the otherside of the battle the wizard lord should thanks to his fly move be able to quickly reposition himself to the other side of the battle in time to engage and destroy these interlopers.

When combat comes around I will have to bank on the stat wise superiority of my troops to overcome the goblin horde. Clearly the nets will hamper my chances but the ASF of my pikes should be able to whittle down the goblins front rank to prevent return attacks while my frenzied bear men and disciplined bodyguard attempt to force a break through the goblin lines and turn the enemy’s flank (beorg and money-cash hopefully tipping the balance of these combat’s in my favour). Should they succeed in this task I will then sweep inwards hoping to use my pikemen as an anvil allowing me to flank the large goblin units and scatter their forces to the generic wastes of the people’s democratic republic of average-land.

BEHOLD OUR AVERAGENESS!
    VS.

The Paint Monkey's list:

Characters

Goblin Warboss (General… of sorts)
    Light armour
    Shield
    Amulet of Protectyness
    Pipes of Dooooooom!!
    Best Basha

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Spear
    Giant Cave Squig
    Wun Hit Wunda
    Bauble

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Shield
    Army Standard
    Bad Moon on a Stick

Shaman
    Two dispel scrolls
    Spell - Gaze of Mork

Characters Total 489

Core

43 Night Goblins (General goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (BSB goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    2 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (Shaman goes here or with another hero)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    Spears
    Full command
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

20 Night Goblins 60
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

3 snotling bases

2 snotling bases

Core Total 1080

Special

Squig Hoppers (1 150

Squig Hoppers (1 150

5 Squig Herders 150

Rock Lobba

Special Total 520

Rare

4 Snotling pump-wagons

Rare Total XXX

Characters Total 489
    Core Total 1080
    Special Total 520
    Rare Total 160

Army Total 2249

This is a horde army. It will win by overwhelming the enemy with troops. There are enough combat units (including the bowmen who will charge when required to) to be able to get on flanks and win combats by Combat Resolution alone. The fanatics will probably knock a few models off each enemy unit that is going to get in combat, especially from the units with multiple fanatics. This will usually give the Gobbos an out-numbering and at least one rank bonus. Once other units get on the flanks then CR will be overwhelming. Just in case it’s necessary to hold on for a turn or two the main three spearmen units will be within range of the BSB and the big unit will be stubborn (re-roll with Stubborn makes it a probable pass if a break test is required).
    The Shaman is to dispel. That is all.
    The rest of the army is damage-spammage. The enemy will be hoping to break the ‘weak’ goblin units in combat but they’ll have to face a lot of random attacks on the way. Even when The Horde is attacking they’ll have pump-wagons, squig teams (even better if they charge the enemy and get killed- go the squig bombs!), squig-hoppers and the Boss on the squig leading the way. With the rock-lobba added in something will cause damage and it’s all about thinning out the enemy numbers, increasing the chance of the big blocks winning CR. If things work then the enemy will take a huge amount of damage before combat is even reached with a ranked unit.
    Squig-hoppers and the Giant Cave-Squig will also be used to eliminate enemy skirmishers and light cavalry who get eaten by the strong attacks and (potentially) fast moving units. Squigs have no facing so can charge those slimy light cav and skirmishers wherever they get to.

Pre game comments:
    Only a few combat units is what we like to see! The Horde will deploy with strong core of spear blocks (taking advantage of the BSB ) and wide rank bowmen on the flanks. The hitty damage-spammage units will move up around the flanks of the spear blocks, past the bowmen and target the light cav and skirmishers. The charge-anywhere squig hoppers will have fun with them, as will the pump-wagons.

The catapult will aim to kill the cannons. The bowmen can have fun with the x-bom men.

The squig herders will aim for his core combat units followed by the spearmen. With the fanatics and the squigs eventually causing D6 S6 hits on each unit they'll be thinned out when the big blocks of goblins start crashing into them. We'll have numbers and rank bonuses on our sides, plus possible support from returning squig-hoppers or pump-wagons from the flank.

The boss on the cave squig will be looking to intercept and eat any of those stray wizards, preferably the level 4. If neccessary he'll charge a unit of pike men to get into base combat with the guy. MUNCH MUNCH BOOM... spatter.

This battle will be won by the big combat units breaking each other and the Gobbos will have numbers (in units and of units) on their side. By the time we arrive I'd be surprised if any of the enemy units still has 3 ranks if even 2.

Last edited by gingerninja; September 27th, 2008 at 16:15. Reason: Points - Please take the Goblin list from here in future Timk1111

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I must say Arky got very lucky with the lore choices.

The Burning Head WILL create massed panic throughout the board (never good with Gobbos), while the masses of Fiery Blasts etc will result in huge losses- and likely more panic checks.

With the Duellists baiting out fanatics, the Pikemen will have a slight upper hand in combat, but the Bearmen and Paymaster's Guard should have little to no trouble killing off the little stunties.

Arky with a Massacre

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Well, AFG has called the first Massacre result of the votewar - and I'll followhim with the second - Massacre! to the DoW.

Spells are big here. When I was rolling them, I couldn't believe how well they rolled. Fiery blast will deal with the skermishers, Burning head with any Gobbos that get close.

The PIkemen probably have their best targets of the game oppostie them - something they hit on 3's and can run away! Striking first in 4 ranks should eat any gobbos that dare engage.

To top it off, there's great shooting support in the Cannons and Crossbows to deal with the Pump wagons.

Tim

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I hate to say it, but I will have to yell...... Major Victory to the DoW

The Goblins have the numbers, but to be honest that is all they have going for them. They will bounce off in combat and the superior shooting of the mercenaries will have them battred before that happens.

That is all

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I think this one goes to the Dogs of War....who'd have thought it? I think they take a major victory, due to spontaneous gobbo morale failure.

If the gobbos had just one tank unit I'd feel more positively inclined towards them, but they'll take a kicking from those pikemen if they engage, and they sure ain't winning the magic/shooting phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Massacre to the DoW

For these reasons

1. Pikemen rock against everything with bad saves (20 attacks wounding on 4/5s [nets] with little to no save!).

2. Magical superiority through mass mediocrity.

3. Shooting. The DoW shooting is longer ranged, has better strength and is more accurate. Also, goblins are not to fast (especially with the odd animosity).

4. The light cavalry will sacrifice themselves on the alter of fanatics which will cause mayhem in the goblin line.

5. Pump wagons are chariots right? So cannons kill them nice 'n' goodlike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Arklite wins with a Massacre. Everything the Dogs of War have is a huge asset, whatever is left of the gobbos when they reach combat will be swept away by the Pikemen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Well, Wood Elves are unbeatable don't you know. Of course, now and then we throw a few games so that others don't get too discouraged.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Mediocrity rules the day! Arklite for a minor victory.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    Mediocrity rules the day! Arklite for a minor victory.
    Arky, you can now blame this guy for ruining your average score

Nah it's all good actually Just had to say something.

Tim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

heh, in all honesty i'm doing significantly better than i would have ever hoped. i mean... i'm using an out of date overpriced and underpowered army

i've pretty much got through by defying the averages! its BLASPHEMY!

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast