VW VW Tourny Round 1: 40kenthusiast vs. Kroxigor01 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 1: 40kenthusiast vs. Kroxigor01

VW Tourny Round 1: 40kenthusiast vs. Kroxigor01

Table - Table 12
    Top Deployment - 40kenthusiast
    First Turn - 40kenthusiast

40kenthusiast's list:

Lord:
    Tomb King w/Destroyer of Eternity, Collar of Shapesh

Heroes:

Tomb Prince w/chariot, Chariot of Fire, flail, light armor + shield, Brooch of the Great Desert
    Liche Priest w/Dispel scroll, Casket of Souls
    Liche Priest w/Hieratic Jar, dispel scroll, skeletal steed (Hierophant)

Core:

20 Skeleton Warriors w/bows, hand weapons
    3 Chariots
    1 Tomb Swarm

Special:
    20 Tomb Guard w/Icon of Rakoph, musician, standard bearer, champion
    5 Carrion
    4 Ushabti
    3 Ushabti

Rare:
    Catapult of Skulls (skulls of the Foe)

Pre game comments;
    We seem to be having a bit of difficulty over the PM's. These are to follow.

VS.

Kroxigor01's List:

Lizardmen MSU of Doom (LMSUoD?)

Characters
    Oldblood – GW, Shield, LA, BSo Sotek, BSo Tepok, Jaguar Pendent, Aura of Quetzl, BSo the Old Ones

Scar Vet – BSB, Cold One, BSo Itzl, LA, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, BSo Tepok

Scar Vet – General, Cold One, BSo Itzl, LA, Spear, Shield, BSo Tepok

Core
    Saurus Warriors – 12 Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Warriors – 11 Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Warriors – 11 Saurus Warriors
    Skink Skirmishers – 10 Skinks

Special Units
    Kroxigor – 3 Kroxigor
    Kroxigor – 3 Kroxigor
    Saurus Cavalry – 5 Saurus Cavalry
    Terradons – 4 Terradons

Rare Units
    Salamander Hunting Packs – 3 Salamander Hunting Packs
    Salamander Hunting Packs – 3 Salamander Hunting Packs

Points - 2249
    Dispel Dice - 5
    Power Dice - 2

Pre Game Comments:
    Kroxigor's Tactics, Game One vs 40Kenthusiast

-My speed and multiple units should allow me to choose which combats I enter and with which units. For instance: I can combo charge an infantry block with a Kroxigor unit, Saurus cavalry and the Oldblood while all the tomb king units near by are blocked by skinks.

-My hitting power allows me to destroy most of 40Kenthusiast's units very quickly. For instance: A Kroxigor unit or my Oldblood against his chariot or Ushabti.

-The Hierophant should be dead by turn 3 between all my hunting units (Salamanders, Teradons, Oldblood, Scar vets and Saurus cavalary, any one of these units only needs to charge/shoot for one turn and he's dead). If this is so then I win almost by default.

-Auto breaking from fear could be a problem for my (few) non fear causing units so I will hold small, non fear causing units out of charge range from his blocks unless I can combo charge with at least a Scar vet (who's attacks should be enough to counteract the Skeleton static res.)

-Skink skirmish screen out the front early to disallow the Catapult from shooting anything juicy and to stop magical charges on important units. They will break off and stand in front of the Kroxigor/redirect charges/get in the way/move towards the woods or ruins as the battle lines grow closer.

-Saurus in middle with frontal rank of 6, fear is a large problem for these if I fluff my attacks so the scar vets on cold ones will baby sit the units most in danger (making the unit immune to fear because of the cold one ). If one of them dies from fear then who cares! They only cost ~130-135 points (no standard to capture either)

-Kroxigor on flanks to crush any chariots or Ushabti (or flanks of Skeletons if they are unapposed) they meet

-Salamanders deploy between Saurus and Kroxigor on either flank. They will try to shoot the Hierophant (6' move then 15' range followed by 6-30 HITS that wound on 4+ with no save), this would win me the game if they are successful. If they can't hit the Hierophant in any one turn they will move to try and shoot him next turn while shooting the squishiest/most important thing in range.

-Terradons deploy behind middle and go for these targets in this order: Hierophant, Casket, Catapult, flank of chariots to hold up indefinitely.

-Cold one scar vets deploy in the Saurus Warriors to make them immune to fear. They will charge out if their is an opportunity to do combo charges or kill Hierophant/Catapult/Casket

-Oldblood hunts these units in this order: Hierophant, Chariots (say hello to 6 strength 7 attacks hitting on 3s with rerolls!!), Casket, Catapult, Combo charge with other characters. He will deploy centrally.

-Saurus Cavalry set up on flank that looks more likely to have wizards in it (to apply more pressure so Terradons, Oldblood, Sallies and Scar vets can get to them).
    Save 3 Dispel dice for Casket unless it is dead or has had LOS blocked, other 2 dice go to stop movement spells or, in the early game, pesky 'we can shoot twice' spells on the Catapult.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Giving it to the Tomb Kings here with a Major Victory. I don't thin kthe MSU approach will help here, as the TK's are doing almost the same, with some big blocks too.

Will should take care of the Salamander pack, purely by killing off the skinks while Ushabti, Skellies and Tomb Guard clean up the rest. And that Tomb King is pretty good too!

Those charots will have to watch up for S7 hits though, but they also have a good chance at a magical charge (24 inch charge is pretty good), so it's hard to see what'll happen here.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I have to disagree here, I personally believe that the multiple small units of the Lizardmen will pull off a minor victory here, and this is why.

The Lizardmen lines will be well protected from the limited shooting of the tomb kings army by the skink screens. These, combined with the leadership boost of the general should make them relatively immune to the casket, if it gets off.

Yes, the Tomb king army can move quicker than the lizzies, but only by using magic. This magic is more reliable than most, but it is by no means infallible, and if the heirophant is taken out by the hunting units of the lizardmen, then the Tomb Kings can't keep them alive while they crumble.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

i'll have to agree with ginja ninja here, mainly for the reasons noted above. the main reason however is that JOBoD, that thing just screams "assasin" to me and there is little to nothing in the TK army to catch him and kill him. anything that can do the former would just get minced in combat while the latter are just far too slow. in addition the lizardmen army's combat troops are all fearcausers themselves, so the lack of numbers isn't too much a problem considering their direct mobility.

throw in the skink swarms and salamanders and you have a very deadly combonation of firepower and destruction.

lizardmen with a solid victory for me

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

First off my apologies for my weak PM foo. It's my first votewar and I'll try and be more prepared in the future.

Going into this game I would be confident of my chances. Here are my tactics:

Deployment: Very standard TK deployment here. I've got the south, so I put the casket and catapult on the hill, then make my fighting line and prepare for the "heavy ho" on my chargers. My hierophant goes into the TK unit, who's front rank is standard bearer, king, champ, hierophant musician (so a Nike-saurus can't just run and jump us without touching the champ).

First turn: Looks like I've got the edge on that front. That's useful.

Magic: I've got 9 dice of magic each turn, vs. 5 dispel dice and no scrolls. A usual rule is that to stop a TK magic phase you need 1.5 times it's amount of dice in dispel, so I'm golden as far as magic goes. Every turn I'm going to get off what I want to, so long as my luck isn't abysmally bad. That's extremely encouraging to me, as it means my urgencies will go off with every round.

Fighting:

My matchups are pretty good here. My chariot unit can obliterate a saurus unit in one round and threats 24". It would crumble before a Kroxy charge, but he has no way to draw me into that matchup.

My Ushabti threats 15" and will obliterate his kroxies, as we have better WS and go first on subsequent rounds. The combination of longer charge range, not having to test morale and being better in combat should give me the matchup. The fact that I can heal my guys and he can't heal his is a bonus.

My Tomb Guard block is able to defeat any thing in his army on the charge (with smites on the king slaying enemy champs/characters in my magic phase ), and threats 12" in every direction (or much more if I decide to be artistic with the Banner of Rakoph). The only way he can get the charge on me is to set up a flee-flank scenario, but urgency pretty much puts pad to that.

Carrion: My carrion will go 40" in the first round, and will cripple his movement. They would take several rounds to skink to death, and in the meantime will stop his marching. If he disregards them and they flank a kroxy or saurus block they've actually got a good shot at holding them up for several rounds, so he can't really ignore them either.

Casket: The casket will be unpleasant this game. If he saves his dice to block it he'll take the urgency-charges that'll lose him the game. If he doesn't do so it will seriously damage all the parts of his army that aren't near the general. Further, the MSU nature of his army means that this will be most, if not all, of his guys. He's got a lose-lose choice on this.

Nike-Sarus: If he comes for my hierophant it'll be the end for him. The only way he can get the charge is to race out of his unit alone. If he does so my champ will throw up a challenge, he'll have nowhere to hide so he'll have to take it. If he can't overcome the big 5 CR he'll face the possibility of getting run down, otherwise after he kills the champ and crumbles one more guard through combat res it'll be my turn, and a smiting will him him hit by the king's destroyer and 2 tomb guard's attacks, all of which have KB. If he survives this I'll res up the champ and challenge again. If he wins again he'll finally get to take my king's challenge in his next round, which means he sucks up yet 2 more auto-KB hits. It's a matchup I'd feel comfortable with.

Catapult: With his lack of magic D the catapult will probably fire twice each round (except for the crunch round, when I'll be too busy urgencying my units into the mix) This is honestly a total tossup. It might explode early, or just scatter widely, but it also might hit and break several units. Lizards have a low base leadership, so the -1 hurts them more than most, and his MSU is going to give me the shot at accidental hits from scatters. Further, his lack of good matchups in this unit-breakdown indicates that he can't afford even one unit broken from this.

Really, aside from getting careless and taking s7 on my chariots I don't find too much to fear in this matchup. The TK's magic phase should ensure me control over the engagement vectors, and with that control I ought to be able to win the fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast View Post
    I've got the south
    My PM said that I had the south, what foul magic is this! (also, so does the 1st post of this thread)

Nike-Sarus: If he comes for my hierophant it'll be the end for him. The only way he can get the charge is to race out of his unit alone. If he does so my champ will throw up a challenge, he'll have nowhere to hide so he'll have to take it. If he can't overcome the big 5 CR he'll face the possibility of getting run down, otherwise after he kills the champ and crumbles one more guard through combat res it'll be my turn, and a smiting will him him hit by the king's destroyer and 2 tomb guard's attacks, all of which have KB. If he survives this I'll res up the champ and challenge again. If he wins again he'll finally get to take my king's challenge in his next round, which means he sucks up yet 2 more auto-KB hits. It's a matchup I'd feel comfortable with.
    Putting the Hierophant in the Tomb Guard is even worse then sticking him in the open. If he's in a unit my terradons can charge him turn 2 and he faces 6 attacks hitting on 4+ wounding on 3+ (64.883% of killing him). And if they fail to get him well I can hit and run and have another go next turn!
    Last edited by kroxigor01; September 28th, 2008 at 02:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Mine said that you had Top Deployment, I thought that meant you deployed along the top? Sorry for the misunderstanding.

"Top Deploy ment: TheCuttingEdge"

Hey, wait a second, you aren't the cutting edge! I think I got a misaddressed PM.

Oh well, to alter my tactics, rather than shooting from the hill my catapult and casket will sit behind the fighting line, peeking out between the units. Not as good, but what can you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast View Post
    I think I got a misaddressed PM.
    @timk: Welcome brother. We are expecting you.

I'll get my vote up later.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonFarseerGuy View Post
    @timk: Welcome brother. We are expecting you.
    Yeah, that was a bit of madness going on there Sorry about that guys. At least I voted for you 40k

Ok, now just to limit it that one instance.....

Tim

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

solid victory to the lizardmen

First off that heirophant is just asking for trouble being on a horse.
    Massive error.
    The lizards should have very little trouble getting to both the heiophant and the casket.
    Crumbly death will ensue.

Salamanders to melt the tomb guard/skellies.

Oldblood to smash the chariots/anything in the TK army (except the king).

The ushabti will definitey cause problems, but not enough...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast