VW VW Tourny Round 1: Herman1004 vs. Dwayne - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 1: Herman1004 vs. Dwayne

VW Tourny Round 1: Herman1004 vs. Dwayne

Table - Table 9
    Top Deployment - Dwayne
    First Turn - Herman1004

Dwayne's list:

Lord;

Vamp lord ;Death knight,Master of black arts,Gem of blood,
    + 1 LV , Dreadlance

=415pts
    Spells - Invoation of Nehek, Raise Dead, Vanhel's Danse Macabre, Gaze of Nagash

Heroes;
    Necro; Corpse cart, Sceptre, dispell scroll=205pts
    Spell - Raise Dead
    Necro; Corpse cart, 2 dispell scrolls=205pts
    Spell - Raise Dead
    Necro; black periapt=70pts
    Spell - Vanhel's Danse Macabre
    480 total for heroes
    (935)

20 zombies- XX
    20 zombies- XX
    20 zombies- XX
    6 DWs- XX (DW= dire wolves)
    6 DWs- XX
    6 DWs- XX
    6 DWs- XX
    5 DWs- XX
    5 DWs-XX
    5DWs-XX

5 BKs, banner of burrows- 181pts

9 Blood Knights, full command, banner of blood keep- 620 (Vampire lord here)

2248 pts

10PD +2 each VC magic phase

5 DD with three scrolls

Pre game comments:
    Working from left to right from the point of veiw of me looking at the link you gave me

the two units of 6 DW's on flank:
    ONe unit of zombies:
    Blood knight + vampire lord:
    Zombies:
    BK's:
    Wolves (for baiting and flanking if needed cause not many high elf units:
    Other wolves for warmachine hunting startin on either flank for warmachine hunting/rear charges

The remaining zombies will be on the hill behind the army to protect rear's.

The corpse carts will be behind the zombies (one unit for each corpse cart).

The necro on foot will go in the centre unit of zombies untill that unit reaches combat then he will go to the back and keep on ressurecting zombies.

THATS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The role of the necro's is to keep the zombies alive like a undead roadblock (no matter how much u kill you can't kill em all),

Because of the lack of HE units the BK's should make it around for rear charge or flank.

Direwolves will be flexible, either flanking, baiting or warmachine hunting

The Bloodies charge the Swordmasters/Pho Guard- depending on which is worth more VPs

Necro on foot next to bloodies= Vanhels dense Macabre (so if enemy flees I can still charge em anyway )

Necro on corpse cart 1= Raise dead

Necro on Corpse cart 2= Raise dead

Hopefully the vampire will roll gaze of nagash in his 4 rolls and it should do big time damage

hope you cn follow that

-Dwayne
    VS.

Herman1004's list:

Guardians of the Inner Seas

Characters
    Lvl. 4 Archmage 360
    Book of Hoeth
    Spells - Burning Gaze, Dazzling Brightness, Guardian Light, Cleansing Flare

Lvl. 2 Mage 185 (Will use High Magic if anything else is confirmed. Shield of Saphery and Curse of Arrow Attraction.)
    Dispel Scroll
    Trickster’s Pendant
    Spells - Shield of Saphery, Curse of Arrow Attraction
    Noble 158
    BSB
    Great Weapon
    Armour of Caledor
    Amulet of Light

Noble 185
    Great Eagle
    Reaver Bow
    Lance
    Heavy Armour
    Shield

Core Units
    23 Spearmen 232 (BS
    Full Command

10 Archers 110 (Mage)

Special
    17 Phoenix Guard 355 (Archmage)
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery
    Amulet of Fire

12 Swordmasters 240
    Full Command
    Warbanner
    Talisman of Loec

5 Dragon Princes 160
    Musician

5 Shadow Warriors 80

5 Ellyrian Reavers 85

Rare Units
    RBT 100
    Total Cost

Pre game comments:
    From left to right:

Swordmasters, Ellyrian Reavers, Phoenix Guard, now we're right of the circle thing, Spearmen, Eagle Noble. Archers behind the Ellyrian Reavers, Dragon Princes behind the Phoenix Guard. Shadow Warriors scout behind the hill to the right and the RBT on the left side of the river.

Spells: Archmage lore of light. Preferably Burning Gaze, Guardian Light, Cleansing Flare and Dazzling Brightness.

Tactics: My main worry is the large unit of blood knights and to counter them I will first of all direct the RBT shots at them and make sure Burning Gaze goes of at them as it will wound on 2+ and although they get an armour save, It nullfies their regen. My reavers will try to redirect a charge (frenzy) and expose their flank to the swordmasters/dragon princes. My eagle flying noble and shadow warriors will concentrate on the necros first and my archers will fire loose at the dire wolves. My other units will mainly try to evade those huge zombie units and take out the vulnerable dire wolves instead. Lvl. 2 Mage will cast Drain Magic and hopefully shield of saphery to protect my units and shut down the one dice spamming of ION.

Hope that covers it all!

Last edited by timk1111; September 27th, 2008 at 14:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I don't think herman will be able to shut down the Bloodies as well as his tactics gave, due mainly to the Banner of Blood Keep.

Anyways, I think Dwayne has this one. The Blood Knights will get their charge in (even if they need to cast Vanhel's), and the scrolls and dispel dice will be able to hold off the Drain magic long enough. Once the Bloodies charge, they will overrun into another unit, and have take little effort killing that unit too. From there, a simple tarpit and rear-charge type of game will mean they can do it all again.

Ld8 is not something to rely on with Panic and Fear.

However, I think herman's plan has its merits, and I see a Solid Victory unfolding, but one charge from a unit of Dire Wolves will not bode well for the General who happens to be a T3 wizard...

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

Banner of the blood keep really does save that big unit of Bloodknights. I'm running with Undead as well, but going with a minor victory. Though the Blood KNights will do their fair share of the Killing, the need for screens will delay their charge by a turn or two. Also, the rest of the Undead are a bit of a pushover really.
    Last edited by timk1111; September 27th, 2008 at 14:07.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

i'm somewhat unsure on this one...

way i see it if the blood knight unit goes down, its pretty much the entire army crippled with no hope of recovering. this all eggs in one basket situation could very well lead to some cratstrophic damage to the high elves if it pays off, however the elves have light magic on thier side, as well as always strikes first and a rather nasty amount of firepower.

without the bloodknights the entire would pretty much crumble (in the figurative and litteral sences of the word. and i have to say the elves have a fair chance of pulling it off. consider magic. while the undead have a quite reasonable magic defence the archmage is packing a good of hoeth. as per calculation from ginger ninja in previous votewars a 5 dice cast from the book of hoeth is a near enough assured IR cast spell. nothing a scroll can really do against that sadly. combine this with the nummeracy of the HE army's powerdice and ranged fire we may very well find the undead unable to cope after the first turn or two in magic.

the direwolves however numberous are quite clearly not enough to overcome the disiplined elven units, the swordmasters in particular with their god knows how many attacks hitting on 3's against anything but the vampire lord and wounding on 2's against most of the enemy army. those kind of numbers seriously stack up and ASF only compounds things. this isn't even considering the amount of chaos the unit of dragon princes could cause easily destroying a unit of dire wolves in every round of combat!

another concern of mine is the size of the blood knight unit. with the presence of so many RBT's a unit of that size is dangerous to say the least and not for the elves. even with the banner of the black keep there is always a chance of a flank shot suceeding and with the curse of arrow attraction in the mix... i can see it happening and being disasterously painful.

another important thing to note is the lore of light. the casting values on this lore are incredibly low, particularly on its top end spells. as such its highly likly we will see spells from this lore suceeding. while the burning gaze can be countered by the banner it provides absolutly no protection from cleansing flare (which isn't classed as a magic missile). throw in dazzling brightness and the blood knights could very well be slaughtered in melee with WS reduced to 1.

in the opening turns i see the HE magic being somewhat average, but dispell scrolls can do nothing against IR and they don't last forever.

i'm going to have to vote for the high elves on this one. there are too many ways for that bloodknight unit to get mauled and nothing to take up the slack when it does in my mind. i however will expect a minor victory on this

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This one is not as cut and dry as the first 2 posters have made out. I have played a simular list to the High elf one, and I know how deadly it can be. The first turn is a real bonus to the High elves, as it means that they can move their skirmishing units into position.

The Eagle noble, archers and shadow warriors could easily take out 2 small units of direwolves a turn, especially if the curse of arrow attraction is implemented.

That combined with the drain magic spell could make casting for the Vampire counts a real pain. The tricksters pendant could really screw up the Vampires day, especially if they are having to throw extra dice at each spell.

In the end, the magic of the High Elves could be much more effective than most think, and if they get the charges right, I think they could edge a minor victory here.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

205 (x7)

TBH, the only reason my post seemed so cut and dry, is because I had so much trouble deciding. I was going for HE's to start with, but then I didn't think there was quite enough to down the knights, and once they reach the elven line, I thought it was all over. However, since this was the only real threatening unit, I went for a minor victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I'm going to go with Vampire Counts on this one. I think that Bloodknight unit will ultimately sweep all before it. As previous posters have noted, however, this could easily go the other way. Thus, while I think it'll go one way or the other as a major victory, I'm going to vote for a VC minor victory to represent my uncertainty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

A competent general can always overcome the might of too many eggs in one basket. The Blood Knights are a strong example of this. With a lot of assets to destroy the Knights, the High Elves will achieve a Major Victory. The Wolves will be next to useless, probably getting in each others way more than anything, and they will just die. Those zombies are the only hurdle, and can be kept away for long enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkently View Post
    Well, Wood Elves are unbeatable don't you know. Of course, now and then we throw a few games so that others don't get too discouraged.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

A solid victory to the High Elves.
    I'm not sold on that VC list. If a good two of the Dire Wolves units were at 10+, I'd like it better.

While fear is always a significant factor in a game like this, it doesn't strike me as a determining one in this match. The elves have superior leadership and will pass most of their tests without much ado. As for losing combat, it's unlikely. They're facing T2 and T3 models for the most part.

The Blood Knights can be distracted with a unit of scouts. The archers could even serve that purpose. It's too bad there's not a great eagle in the HE list.

Necros are easy kills, and with that comes a reduced magic phase.

This is a good matchup for HEs IMO.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x3)

I bid a minor victory to the High elves.

The problem with the whole dire wolves charging in an trying to kill the mages is ASF.
    dire wolves die easily, so getting the attacks in will be very difficult.

The blood knights could be murderous, but theres so little else of strength in the vc army.

High elf magic and asf should carry the day here...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast