AoD Tux's first Arena of Death - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tux's first Arena of Death

*I am after 32 characters for an archery contest. This will be first come first serve. Note that I will not be reserving spots.
    *I am after 16 characters for a 1v1 AoD tournament. This will be first-in first-served. Note that I will not be reserving spots.
    *Every character must be fully legal and costing no more than 250pts. This is absolute. I will not be accepting any characters that are 251pts.
    *Characters are to have a background and description. If not, they will be fair game for me. Include a fighting style if you want, but this point is all optional.

*If the archery tournament has too few people, I will allow people to submit a second archer. If there are still too many empty spaces I will add some Tomb Princes with bows.
    *Please read through all these rules. I know they're dry and boring, but I've modified a few to suit my tastes, I mean, to bring them more up-to-date.

To enter
    Registration couldn't be easier[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Max/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]. Simply post here with your character's name, background and fluff and- of course- what the character actually has and what each item does. Also include their stat line and the contest they are entering. This is because I have not spent all my money buying all the army books. I do however have the TK, Orcs and Goblins, and the Dwarf books so those of you who enter one of the afore mentioned armies are exempt from explanations.

Banned/Modified Items
    BANNED:
    Tress of Isolde
    Sword of Fate
    Van Horstmann's Speculum
    The Daemon Sword
    The Fellblade
    The Bane Head
    The Grudge Rune
    The Talisman of Saphery
    The Ring of Corin
    Virtue of Confidence
    Annoyance of Netlings
    Palanquin mount (for DoC)

Also, any item which I have missed here that includes in its rules "nominate one enemy character" is illegal.

All magic items (including runes) are banned in the archery contest.

CHANGED:
    Gaze of the Gods
    - same points cost, before the battle roll a D6 - 1 = you get a 6+ ward, 2-3 = you get a 5+ ward, 4-6 = you get a 4+ ward. Such is the fickle nature of chaos.
    Warpstone amulet - same points cost, but roll to see if you die BEFORE the fight instead of afterwards.
    Talisman of Loec - may not be taken in conjunction with anything that confers Killing Blow to the bearer.
    Pendant of Khaeleth - Grants a ward save proportional to the armour save modifier of the opponent’s Strength score (i.e. 6+ ward against S4 hits, 5+ against S5, 4+ against S6, 3+ against S7…). A 1 always fails.
    The Morning Star of Fricasse - Cannot be taken with the Gromril Great Helm. OK, it can, but don't expect your character to get a nice writeup. The same applies to any Dwarfs who aspire to take the MRoBreaking. No obscene armour saves to go with it.

Equalisers for the AoD
    * Tomb Kings: Tomb Kings and Princes get 25pts extra – they may not exceed their magic item limit.
    * Vampires get 35pts extra – they may not exceed their magic item limit.
    * Skaven Warlords may go up to 20pts over their magic item limit providing that they do not exceed 250pts in total. The Appendix Plague Lord is no longer permitted: he is replaced by the Plague Lord from the Lustria book.
    * Empire Generals (not Grand Masters) and Arch Lectors who do not take a Runefang may go up to 20pts over the magic item limit providing that they do not exceed 250pts in total.
    * Wood Elf characters (not dryads) get 20pts extra – they may not exceed their magic item limit.
    * Dark Elf Assassins are counted as Hero choices for all intents and purposes.
    * Chaos characters can take the marks of Tzeentch and Slaanesh for free.
    * Bretonnians must pray to gain the Blessing, allowing their opponent to charge them and gain all the benefits thereof in the first round of each combat. A Bretonnian player who does not wish to pray should specify this before the match is rolled.
    * Goblin, Night Goblin, and Skink characters may also receive a 20pt bonus to their magic item limit. Just to be nice to the little guys.
    * Hero-level characters get an extra 50pts added to their magic item allowance.

How I will establish the winner of every fight

1v1 battle
    If you have never fought in one of these, the point is to pit two characters against one another, one on one. In all essence it is a challenge as in a normal game but with a few differences. Namely, they’re trapped in an arena with the only way out is to kill or be killed.
    I will roll a match up between two characters until one perishes. The one who remains standing will be the victor and progress to the next round, all wounds etc will be completely healed. It is as though the fight never took place!

Archery contest
    Seeing as I have never seen anyone ever try an archery contest in an AoD this will be a first for everyone including me. It will be a sudden death match, as soon as you miss, you stop scoring. It will be in groups of 4 archers and the winner will progress to the next round. Simple?
    I will roll the contests until one archer stays. Everyone uses the same bow, even dwarfs, you rely on skill alone. Your archer must be either the same race as your AoD character or the same character entirely (if you are participating). I will not write up much fluff for these as there is not much to write about.
    For the contest I will roll. Three shots a round. Every hit means I roll a dice.
    For a 1 it scores 1, 2 scores 2, 3 scores 5, 4 scores 10, 5 scores 15, 6 scores 25.
    Highest score per round wins.

- First round of combat

In the first round of combat, both warriors count as charging for the purposes of lances and other special rules. If neither warrior has a 'strike first' ability (or a 'strike last' ability), the person with the highest Initiative will strike first. If both warriors are equally entitled to strike first (usually because they have equal initiative), striking order will be determined randomly. In essence, we will follow the rules as outlined by GW for ASF, great weapons, and the like.

- Later rounds
    In later rounds of combat, neither warrior gets charging bonuses (pretty obvious). Strike order will be determined using the same system as in the first round of combat - however, in cases of equal initiative, the die to determine strike order is not rolled. Instead, the person who struck first last time will strike first, combat alternating between each warrior.

Additional Rules
    - Break tests

Break tests are ignored in the Arena (where are they going to run in a ring of death?). Other psychology that may force an opponent to flee from combat is also ignored. THERE IS NO WAY TO FLEE IN AN AOD. For this reason, panic, unbreakable and stubborn also have no effect.

In addition, undead warriors ignore the rule that causes them to take wounds from combat resolution. In a similar manner, daemonic characters do not suffer from instability.

- Fear
    Fear is handled similarly to normal. In the first round of combat, a warrior facing a fearsome foe will take a Ld test. If he fails, he will hit on 6+ for that round of combat. After that, fear has no effect.

Hatred Hatred is also handled as normal. The warrior will re-roll failed 'to hit' rolls against hated foes in the first round, unless a specific army book overrules this.

- Stupidity
    Since stupidity is ignored in combat, it only effects the first turn when the model suffering stupidity is attempting to charge. He or she will take a stupidity test as normal; if failed, the model strikes last, no matter what. I.e., no ASF for failed test.

- Frenzy While there's nowhere to run, you can still have the frenzy knocked out of you; therefore, models do lose frenzy as normal. Not that outnumber does not count for CRes here.

Killing Blow KB will be worked out slightly differently. The D2+N rule will be used. This means the KBed character will suffer D2+(Starting Wounds-2). This gives a 50% chance of killing outright. Armour and Regeneration is still ignored.

Miscellaneous
    50-50 calls- I claim power in any dispute, and will be as fair and unbiased as I can. This is why I will not be taking part in this AoD.
    Fluff- Due to my own time constraints, it is up to everyone to do their own fluffing.
    Challenges- You can now challenge for the second time in an LO AoD. To make a challenge, simply post something along the lines of 'I challenge .....', making it very clear who you are and who you challenge. Frequently, people will add some fluff to their challenge, giving their reasons for fighting (and naturally, some goading insults). This is encouraged, but ensure that at the bottom of your post you say the word "I challenge ....”.

The character must then respond. An accepted challenge will result in the two of you being paired against each other in the next round of combat. A declined challenge will ensure that you will not be paired together (unless you must be, due to lack of other players). An unanswered challenge will be treated as if the challenge never happened (though sometimes an unanswered challenge will be treated as an acceptance). Aside from the pairings in the next round, an accepted / refused challenge has no additional effect.

(borrowed most from AFG)

Fluff
    Phas-thra sat on his golden throne. His skeletal fingers clicked on the side of the throne. A skeleton archer stood a couple feet away holding a bow with an arrow notched to the string waiting. The Tomb King flicked his left hand and the arrow flew off the string. The target 6 yards away thudded and the arrow shook slightly on the bullseye. Phas-thra had always liked archery, but the skill of his archers was too good and he wanted a proper contest. That was why he had selected 32 prisoners for a contest. He had also advertised through the mercenary camps around the deserts for an arena of death and the archery contest.

The Liche Priest walked forward and Phas-thra looked around. The Liche spoke in a raspy voice “The contestants for the contest are in the dungeon.” Phas-thra got up and walked out of the room. The Liche followed him through a pair of large doors and into an even larger room. This room looked like a stadium where the humans of the empire raced horses. It was circular with a pit in the centre the pit was as large as the previous room. In the centre of the pit was a large statue of Phas-thra when he was a living man in gold. Phas-thra had imprisoned a human for the commentating, and if the human didn’t commentate then his life would end slowly and painfully at the hands of a poison asp. The asp would bite and the poison would slowly seep through the bloodstream until the death of the victim. It would start with the internal bleeding and then the liver would stop working, it would take less then an hour, but that time would be full of pain and agony.

Last edited by tuxedo clank; October 2nd, 2008 at 18:22.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varce

Always searching for a new opponent to test his skill, Varce believes that their is no opponent more skilled with a spear then himself. However, he hardly ever allows his opponent a fair fight since he is adorned in an elaborate armor of wood that will often knit even the most grievous of wounds. Hidden through out his body, usually nestled together under his blood red cape are several spites ranging from green blue and black. His favorite spite, Valen [rest in peace QQ] can often be found sitting on his shoulder, resembling a obsidian statue but always eager to attack those that threaten its host with poisonous fangs and claws.

-The Spear of Twilight (killing blow)
    -Murder of Spites (does D6 attacks at WS 7, Initiative 4, Strength 2, count as poison)
    -Oaken Armor (Gives a 4+ ward save [regeneration] and +6 armor save)

WS 7
    BS 6
    S 4
    T 3
    W 3
    I 3
    A 4
    Ld 10

sorry it took me so long to get the fluff up, been pretty busy with stuff.
    Just changed for the 3rd time, I will have to write the fluff tomorrow since i'm tired!
    Last edited by kwike; October 8th, 2008 at 07:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

Name: Stabby McShank
    Type: Night Goblin Warboss
    Arena: 1v1 AoD
    Background:
    Stabby McShank is the worst kind of Goblin, the kind who just keep stabbing until you fall. Nothing makes Stabby happier than to be shanking his enemies and having their blood cover him head to toe. Apart from this rather disturbing hobby, Stabby is actually rather nice, always asking if the person he is attacking is ok. The only problem being he decides to ask once the enemy is dead.

He also has a pogostick which he uses to propel himself off walls for extra stabby shankiness

Magic Items:

Luckys Dirk
    Tricksy Trinket
    Armour of Gork
    Amulet of Protectyness

Total Points - 160

I feel really confident about Stabbys chances
    Last edited by RobtheGuru; October 8th, 2008 at 17:05.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Okay, I'm in again. I will create, sooner or later, a winning character!

I'll also post an archery character. I'll do it now and edit them in.

AoD Character
    Dreadlord Roberts - Dark Elf Pirate Scum
    Dark Elf Dreadlord, Armor of Darkness (1+ armor save), Pendant of Khaeleth (ward save based on str of attack, roll equal to or under str and the hit is ignored, 6 always fails), Heartseeker (reroll all failed hits and wounds)
    235 points

The Dreadlord Roberts hates being a dreadlord. It's tough, always hating on people and being hated in return. Burning villages, sure it's fun, but after the first one hundred, what's left? The Dreadlord is considering handing over his pirate ship to another dreadlord, but he needs to find a worthy champion. Hence, he's entering this arena, intent on giving his ship and crew to any creature stout enough to defeat him.

Archery Character
    Dreadlord Roberts - Dark Elf Pirate Scum Marksman
    Bow of Nevermissin - Bow that never misses
    Arrows of Alwaysdyin - Arrows that always die things

The Dreadlord Roberts had a cruel father who forced Roberts to practice shooting day after day, while being whipped with nettles and cat-o'-nine-tails. Consequently, there is no better archer than the Dreadlord Roberts.
    Last edited by DavidWC09; October 2nd, 2008 at 00:28.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x5)

Sethiss Rend

Dark Elf Dreadlord
    Armor of Eternal Servitude (heavy armor, regenerate)
    Pendant of Khaeleth (ward save equal to strength of attack, roll equal to or under strength, 6 always fails)
    Soulrender (great weapon, armor piercing)
    Sea Dragon Cloak (+1 armor, 4+ cumulative)

Before his lord could execute him for his treacherous intentions, Sethiss Rend took the intiative to fake his own death, and escape the lands of the Dark Elves, his plan to travel the world and come back a hero, stronger than ever before. His voice is silent and slithery. His eyes are deep red and full of paranoia and poisonous intent (a hypocisy if there ever was one.)

He has adorned himself with armor as white a snow, and a cape to match. Over his face is a mask portraying a grinning demon. Beneath that though is a black gem that shines no light, protecting him from the mightiest of blows from beast or champion. Beneath that is a deep violet armor that clings to his skin and twists and turns, a final defence to those few attacks that make it to him. If that wasn't all, he carries a long-handled axe, imbued with magical energies to cut through the thickest armor. Sethiss fears death above all else and this fear has kept him alive... so far.

And I wouldn't copy your build David. It's not my fault you're always a step ahead of me (hmm, maybe it is). However, we'll just have to see if the Pendant of Khaelith is still legal by the time the tournament begins.
    Last edited by daelrog; October 5th, 2008 at 19:48.
    I am heading off to the Peace Corps. It is bery likely I will not be back. Good luck to all of you endeavors.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by daelrog View Post
    Well, I'm still working for one character per army book, so I should probably take any opportunity I can. I think I'll try to Dark Elf codex next. I'll have this post edited with a character sometime today.
    Don't duplicate my Dark Elf character, or I'll have to challenge you and we'll engage in a never-ending combat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Can we enter characters in both arenas?

If so, then I present:
    Lord Hood, Archer of Sureshot Forest
    Empire General
    Dragon Bow
    Armour of Meteoric Iron
    Holy Relic
    Maybe the RoVolans or something if I have the pts left over.
    BS5, S6, 1+ save, 4++ save, possibly a nifty Bound spell. I'll check my book later today.

Gragnash Tribepwner da 1337
    Savage Orc Warboss
    GW
    Armour of Gork
    Tricksy Trinket
    Amulet of Protectyness
    Should
    be under 250pts, I'll have to doublecheck at some point.

I may change my combat character if I decide to enter one from my beloved Dawn Killing Fields.

ED: It would appear that I have breached the archery rules. I'll have to come back to a character. same with you Dave.

Fluff to come.

-AFG//
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; October 1st, 2008 at 02:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sehen hai
    Wood Elf Highborn
    armour of fey (+4 ward in cc if enemy uses magical attacks, counts as LA)
    Dawn Spear (counts as spear, -1 to hit for enemy if they're wounded)
    Fimbulwinter Shard (-1 to hit in cc)
    Shield
    Steed
    264pts

Sehen hai has ridden out of Athel Loren upon his steed in search of vengeance against those who would defile the sacred wood. Swearing an oath to the kindred of vengeance he cannot return home until he has either destroyed all who oppose the forest (unlikely) or falls in battle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1283 (x8)

I like that character Daelrog. He'll do well I bet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Right, my entry should be considered changed to:
    Present day, Cathay
    With a mighty effort, Skrit climbed up through the sewer in the middle of the palace grounds. No guards there, excellent. He scampered through the scenic garden, though it was too dark to appreciate it, using trees and various bushes as cover. Arriving silently at the front door, he noted four guards on duty on the front steps alone. There was no way he could take them all down without one of them raising the alarm.

Nipping around the back, he noticed a tree that was higher than the roof. This would be his way in. With a series of silent movements, he covertly scampered up the tree, and onto the roof. With his nimble paws, he pulled open a shutter, and climbed into the building.

Scampering silently into the hallway, he saw his target's room- it was the one with two guards outside it. With two perfectly thrown stars, he took them both out almost simultaneously. He kicked the door open and saw the sleeping lord. Stepping forwards, he drew his weeping blades, and prepared to slit the human's throat.

With a silent whistle, two well crafted knives curved through the air, striking the skaven's back before he could realise what had happened.

A cloaked figure stepped up from the shadows, walking up behind him, and slit his throat, and kicked the carcass away. The Cathayan assassin looked at his kill, and then his real target- the exact same lord.

In one swift motion, the assassin plunged a dagger in the lord's chest before he could wake. Under his large, black hood, he saw the blood of his victim begin to stain the bedsheets. This was a very successful night. He had managed to eliminate his target that the Dawn Killing Fields were paid to put out of power, and Skrit Deathblade- a problematic assassin for the Cathayans.

Xuanzhong- Assassin
    From a very early age, Xuanzong has been trained in the arts of covert striking, and is also a proficient blademaster. His agility makes him a popular choice when someone wants a person... removed. This kind of work is usually put down to him when a client approaches the Dawn Killing Fields.
    DE Assassin
    Second Hand Weapon-An opponent is his often feels relief when Xuanzhong only pulls out one blade, for his skill is second to none. However, very few survive to learn that he has a second blade stored under his cloak that he is just as willing to use as well.- if you can't work out what this represents, you don't deserve to know.
    Precision bladework- Even the smallest of Xuanzhong's stabs is masterfully controlled, and his knowledge of pressure points etc complements this like an art form.- Counts as the Touch of Death (Killing Blow)
    Dance of Death- None can make killing into such a beautiful art as Xuanzhong. His intricate dances are next to impossible to follow, and all are frequently amazed at the speed and beauty of his movements. Face it, not many can claim that a wardancer troupe is so slow it's boring.- Counts as the Rune of Khaine (+D3 Attacks) and the Hand of Khaine (enemy is at -1A unless ItP), and ASF
    Poisoned blades- Cathay is inhabited with a multitude of poisonous creatures. It only makes sense to make creative use of their venom.- Counts as Black Lotus (re-rolls wounds rolls of 1s).

191 pts

Synopsis- Offence:
    5-7 S4 I9 WS9 Attacks that get to re-roll all failed hits during the first round; re-rolls wound rolls of a 1; KB; ASF
    Synopsis- Defence:
    2 T3 Wounds with a possible -1 attack on the enemy.

Give him Rending stars, and he's my character in the archery contest.

On a side note, purchase tickets, food, merchandise, advertising etc at:
    AFG's AoD Agency

-AFG//
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; October 1st, 2008 at 23:20.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast