VW VW Tourny Round 2: ArchonFarseerGuy vs. Kroxigor01 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 2: ArchonFarseerGuy vs. Kroxigor01

VW Tourny Round 2: ArchonFarseerGuy vs. Kroxigor01

Table - Table 1
    Top Deployment - ArchonFarseerGuy
    First Turn - ArchonFarseerGuy

AFG's List:

The Great and Mighty Empire Army That Needs a More Imaginative Name
    Characters
    Arch Lector- Van Horstmann's Speculum, Shroud of Magnus, GW- 205
    Battle Wizard- Seal of Destruction- 110
    Battle Wizard- 2 Scrolls- 115
    Battle Wizard- 2 Scrolls- 115
    All Wizards have: Portant of Far

25 Spearmen, full command, detachments of 7 Free Company and 5 Handgunners- 220
    25 Swordsmen, full command, detachments of 7 Halberdiers, 5 Handgunners- 250 (ALector here- thus MR2)
    24 Greatswords, full command, Standard of Arcane Warding,, detachments of 7 Free Company and 5 Handgunners- 355 (is MR2)
    10 XBowmen- XX
    10 XBowmen- XX
    10 XBowmen- XX
    10 Handgunners- XX
    10 Handgunners- XX
    10 Handgunners- XX
    Cannon- XX
    Mortar- XX
    Helblaster Volley Gun- XX
    Hellstorm Rocket Battery- XX

2250 pts exactly
    5 PD (not important)
    7 DD + 5 Scrolls, one of which can destroy a spell

VHS: Swap combat stats in challenges
    Shroud of Magnus: 5++ save, MR2
    Seal of Destruction: Dispel Scroll- on a 4+, the wizard loses the spell, never to cast it again
    Standard of Arcane Warding: MR2

Pre game comments:
    Right, we begin.

Realistically, there are three things that worry me. The JSoD, the Sallies, and the Kroxies.

As soon as the JSoD shows his face (and when he doesn't, his speed means nothing), he will be cannon-sniped. After his death, the Salamanders will be the cannon's next target, and then the Kroxies.

The Rockets and Mortar will rain horrible death upon the T2 Skinks. Any survivors should fail to be a problem.

The Helblaster will target the Kroxies/Saurus Cav when they come close (again, supported by the wizards), and the ranged troopers will unload onto the Terradons with their 30" range and 30 shots. From there, all ranged troopers will shoot any surviving Kroxies.

From there, I obliterate the survivors in cc, with an advantage of 6 in real terms (I gain 5, he loses his rank) before dice are even rolled. People forget that State Troops can actually fight.

Lore choice: Same as last time.

-AFG//
    VS.

Kroxigor01's list:

Lizardmen MSU of Doom (LMSUoD?)

Characters
    Oldblood – GW, Shield, LA, BSo Sotek, BSo Tepok, Jaguar Pendent, Aura of Quetzl, BSo the Old Ones

Scar Vet – BSB, Cold One, BSo Itzl, LA, Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, BSo Tepok

Scar Vet – General, Cold One, BSo Itzl, LA, Spear, Shield, BSo Tepok

Core
    Saurus Warriors – 12 Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Warriors – 11 Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Warriors – 11 Saurus Warriors
    Skink Skirmishers – 10 Skinks

Special Units
    Kroxigor – 3 Kroxigor
    Kroxigor – 3 Kroxigor
    Saurus Cavalry – 5 Saurus Cavalry
    Terradons – 4 Terradons

Rare Units
    Salamander Hunting Packs – 3 Salamander Hunting Packs
    Salamander Hunting Packs – 3 Salamander Hunting Packs

Points - 2249
    Dispel Dice - 5
    Power Dice - 2

Last edited by timk1111; October 2nd, 2008 at 09:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Apologies for lateness.

Screen with Skinks. Shooting hits them on 6+ (till short range when it's to late to kill them and get the important stuff) so that won't budge them in a hurry. Blast template artillery will struggle to hit more then 3 skinks at a time (due to their spacing) if any at all (scatter). This leaves the rest of my army immune to shooting (unless AFG, the scoundrel that he is, "accidentally" overguessing with his artillery to hit units out of LoS).

As soon as the Salamander units are in range they will attempt to panic one of the ranked infantry unit (lowest LD one). If they fail to panic them then they will still have removed a rank or 2 and will then try and panic the 2nd lowest leadership ranked unit etc.

My characters will hide in units to prevent being cannon sniped until they can charge out and kill a detachment to prevent my combat units being flanked. They will then destroy the small ranged units near the main combat units to prevent a surprise flank charge. After that they hunt for VPs.

The Terradons will hide being the skink screen till they can charge the Helblaster. IIRC being a flying unit doesn't make you automatically in LoS so they should be easy to hide. After the Helblaster they kill any small unit that gets in the way of the important combats against the main infantry.

Saurus Warrior units will engage the ranked up units from on. I'm not going to be winning the combat till I get a flank with Kroxigor or Cold Ones but neither am I going to be taking enough casualties to eat into my front rank and will almost certainly not flee (with LD8 and cold-blooded) before help arrives.

Kroxigor will march on the outer rims of the Saurus and will charge through the skinks (to prevent stand and shoot) on the ranged unit directly to the flank of AFG's ranked units to set up a flank charge for next turn.

Cold One riders will be a "wild card" unit used to replace a destroyed Kroxigor/saurus unit (from shooting) if necessary. Otherwise it will just hunt the "easy pickings" units.

Honestly, I can't see AFG's shooting killing my skinks fast enough so they can kill the juicy targets before combat is reached. If the skink screen succeeds then my awesome combat units and the ability to kill detachments with characters will be the ranked units downfall. The probability of the ranked up units having less ranks or fleeing of the board (from salamanders) before combat is reached surprisingly high. Once the ranked units are out of the way there are alot of small, easy to kill ranged units and lots of manoeuvrable killing machines designed to kill them ready to eat them.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; October 2nd, 2008 at 11:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Skim reading your tactics, I can see that you appear to have quite a bit placed on the Skinks not getting shot by the mortar/rocket.

So just a clarification, they use the large blast marker (the pie plate, the 5" template etc).

Good game kroxi.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

The skinks will be in long line so yes, three hits maximum is correct. 5" diameter can hit 3 approximately 1 inch skinks and 2 empty 1 inch spaces between them. Line them up and try it. You can get 2 hits and 2 glances, but that still averages to 3 hits.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; October 2nd, 2008 at 12:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

I needed that PM'd to me Krox. It's fine, and doesn't seems to siply counter AFG's tactics, so they 'look' secret.

Anyway, to the votes.

Going for Lizzies with a Major Victory here. I think the Lizzies will end up enough in tact to beat up all those small squishy units.

Blowing up the Skinks will only give the Terradons Line of Sight, and that's bad. With so many smal units, I'm sure they'll be able to overrun once or twice.

I don't even think Lizzies need to engage the big units at all, or they could wait until all the easy VP's are gone, then flank em. Detatchments are easy to charge and kill, and the Hellstorm is a bit random really.

Tim

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

The amount of shooting in AFG's poses a serious threat to all the lizzies, and the only units I can think of that will pose a threat to the Empire will be sniped or stuck in with all those swordmen and spearmen. I'm a bit unsure though, as all the small units and the terradons can be effective, and hence I say a Minor Victory

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Major victory lizardmen

I dont see that skink screen lasting long, but once the lizardmen are in amongst the empire line they'll have total control.
    The 6 salamanders will just be brutal on all those t3 troops as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I tend to say Empire here. The Saurus blocks and Kroxy's seem like they'll have trouble winning vs. static res and detachments. Further, the Empire is gunlining it vs. an army that has to cross the field w/out being able to engage all at once (since only their cav is willing to charge Imperial ranked units), and that's always rough in terms of flank protection. In particular, I find the notion that the Empire flanks will be hit after the Saurus cav charge a ranked unit and get flanked by its detachment to be implausible.

Empire by Major Victory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Disregard this post as a series of insane ramblings.
    Last edited by ArchonFarseerGuy; October 3rd, 2008 at 02:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

288 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonFarseerGuy View Post
    Disregard this post as a series of insane ramblings.
    That almost deserves a sig.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast