VW VW Tourny Round 3: The Paint Monkey vs. Timk1111 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

VW Tourny Round 3: The Paint Monkey vs. Timk1111

VW Tourny Round 3: The Paint Monkey vs. Timk1111

Table: Table 8
    Top Deployment: The Paint Monkey
    First Turn: The Paint Monkey

The Paint Monkey's list:

Characters

Goblin Warboss (General… of sorts)
    Light armour
    Shield
    Amulet of Protectyness
    Pipes of Dooooooom!!
    Best Basha

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Spear
    Giant Cave Squig
    Wun Hit Wunda
    Bauble

Big Boss
    Light armour
    Shield
    Army Standard
    Bad Moon on a Stick

Shaman
    Two dispel scrolls
    Spell - Gaze of Mork

Characters Total 489

Core

43 Night Goblins (General goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    3 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (BSB goes here)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    2 Fanatics

30 Night Goblins (Shaman goes here or with another hero)
    Spears
    Full command
    Nets
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    Spears
    Full command
    1 Fanatics

20 Night Goblins
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

20 Night Goblins 60
    (Short Bows) -
    Musician

3 snotling bases

2 snotling bases

Core Total 1080

Special

Squig Hoppers (1 150

Squig Hoppers (1 150

5 Squig Herders 150

Rock Lobba

Special Total 520

Rare

4 Snotling pump-wagons

Rare Total XXX

Characters Total 489
    Core Total 1080
    Special Total 520
    Rare Total 160

Army Total 2249

This is a horde army. It will win by overwhelming the enemy with troops. There are enough combat units (including the bowmen who will charge when required to) to be able to get on flanks and win combats by Combat Resolution alone. The fanatics will probably knock a few models off each enemy unit that is going to get in combat, especially from the units with multiple fanatics. This will usually give the Gobbos an out-numbering and at least one rank bonus. Once other units get on the flanks then CR will be overwhelming. Just in case it’s necessary to hold on for a turn or two the main three spearmen units will be within range of the BSB and the big unit will be stubborn (re-roll with Stubborn makes it a probable pass if a break test is required).
    The Shaman is to dispel. That is all.
    The rest of the army is damage-spammage. The enemy will be hoping to break the ‘weak’ goblin units in combat but they’ll have to face a lot of random attacks on the way. Even when The Horde is attacking they’ll have pump-wagons, squig teams (even better if they charge the enemy and get killed- go the squig bombs!), squig-hoppers and the Boss on the squig leading the way. With the rock-lobba added in something will cause damage and it’s all about thinning out the enemy numbers, increasing the chance of the big blocks winning CR. If things work then the enemy will take a huge amount of damage before combat is even reached with a ranked unit.
    Squig-hoppers and the Giant Cave-Squig will also be used to eliminate enemy skirmishers and light cavalry who get eaten by the strong attacks and (potentially) fast moving units. Squigs have no facing so can charge those slimy light cav and skirmishers wherever they get to.

Pre game comments:
    Yaaaay! I love wide open spaces where my fanatics can roam to their hearts' content.

So- deployment. Catapult on the hill, as much as possible surveying the battlefield. It'll be targetting chariots.

The bowmen with the fanatic will be watching the flank, to avoid being ambushed (or at least stand-and-shoot-and-unleash-whirly-death at anyone who wanders up).

The rest of the army will be refused (my left) flank. IE The spear blocks will be over by the hill (but not so close that ambushing units will trigger fanatic disaster) with the biggest block in the middle. We don't like scary dark forests when there's beastmen about. Next to them will be the hoppers with the pump-wagons next to them. The squig bomb... sorry.. herders will be the most eastern unit. They'll bimble off towards the beastmen as fast as possible and hopefully savage a unit before being beaten in combat and causing hits on several other unit nearby. The refused flank will force the beastmen into a diagonal corridor of sorts and this will help target more central units with the squigs. It'll also mean that the hoppers and pump-wagons can jump the first units that appear- especially the hounds and the chariots. Altogether there is 3 3D6 move units waiting to jump the rapid moving enemy units to prevent early release of fanatics. I'll use the Waaagh early to help these units get to combat. My own combat units will be sitting and waiting so it's no use for them.
    Just as a note- the second bowmen unit will be deployed 10 wide behind the squig units. They'll wander up and take pot-shots at anyone who wanders by. If they get charged, that's fine too because it'll slow the advance on the rest of my army.

With weak enemy magic and no shooting we'll be pretty sure on getting the damage-spammage units into combat (who cares if they're skirmishing when you're on a bouncing squig or badly steered wagon we've got 360 charge arc!). The hero (with his S10 first round hits and D6 S6 hits when he dies) will be looking to kill off any shamen, generals or at worst poke holes in Shaggoths that wander into view. There's even a chance that my shaman can get a few shots off! Any idea what the Pipes of Doom do to beastmen? I've got no idea- might terrify those hounds and that'd be handy, too.

While the squigs and pump-wagons are doing their damage the gobbos will be forming up to receive charges from what's left. Again a stream of fanatics will thin out their numbers and weaken any tough units (not even centigors or minotaurs can tolerate several fanatic hits). If the fanatics fail to reach (unlikely if the enemy are charging- they have to keep moving if they've declared a charge!) then the Gobbos will edge slowly back up the hill to get higher ground, out numbering and rank bonuses to drive off the beastmen. Any combat units that do finally reach us will have been pummeled by so many auto-hit and high S units that they'll be in bits.

Basically- I envisage a strong flank, protected by several spear units and a bowmen unit. At least 2 fanatics can be released at ambushers, as well as bow-fire. I'm planning on having the bulk of the beastmen tied up early on with swarms of weird squig and snot units while the catapult drops rocks on them. If they reach my spear blocks it'll be turn 4ish and the enemy will have been bloodied and bruised already.
    VS.

Timk1111's list:

Plague Bringer's Herd of Pesilence

L - Beastlord Plague Bringer
    Mark of Nurgle, Slaughterer's Blade, Trollhide Armour, Crown of Horns, Shield

H - Bray Shaman Muucrar
    Lev 2, Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Armour, Dispel Scroll, Braystaff
    Spells - Boils, Pestilence (3, 6)

H - Brayshaman Puschar
    Spells - Buboes, Scabs (1,4)

C - 23x Beastherd
    15x Ungor, Full command

C - 16 Beastherd
    9 Ungor, Full command

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender

C - 10x Beastherd
    Foerender

C - Chariot

C - Chariot

C - 18x Bestigor
    Full Command

C - 5x Hounds

C - 5x Hounds

S - 4x Minotaurs
    Mark of Nurgle, Light Armour, Great Weapons, Standard

S - 6x Centigor
    Shield, Standard, Muso

R+S - Shaggoth
    Light Armour, Great Weapon

R - 1x Spawn

TOTAL - 2249

Powerdice: 6
    Dispel Dice: 4 + 2x Scrolls

Items:
    Slaughterer's Blade: Great Weapon. Each wound inflicted heals 1 lost wound on a roll of 4+.

Trollhide Armour: Regeneration on 6+.

Crown of Horns: 5+ Ward save. +1 to rally for unit.

Chaos Armour: 4+ armour save

Braystaff: Choose how to use it at start of each combat. Either a Great Weapon, or grants +2 to armour save.

Mark of Nurgle: +1 Wound and causes Fear.

Pre game comments:
    Ambushers - Both smaller herds go into ambush.

Deployment - Big herd holds the centre, Minotaurs to the left of them, Bestigors to the right. Chariots outside of them. Hounds go in the front to screen. Rest where ever it fits - the board is nice and open anyway.

Tactics - I'll keep this one short. Ambushers and Hounds will be used to take care of Fanatics. When the ambushers come from behind to lure out fanatics, he'll either have to launch them forward at nothing, or backward toward the ambushers and waste them.

After that, I have a huge advantage in close combat. Those Squigs trying to reach my lines will be Blasted with Chariots - and even if they reach anything else, they should be dead in combat anyway. Pump Wagons can be dealt with by Centigors or Minotaurs.

My Beastlord and Chaos Armoured Shaman join the large herd, the 2nd Shaman in the Medium sized herd. Once the path is clear of all the distractions, the two herds along with Minotaurs and Bestigors will smash goblins in combat.

Magic will actully go off for me in this battle - depending on what I roll, either dealing damage, stat decreases or hampering the Goblin's movement.

Finaly, the Mark of Nurgle will make my Beastherds cause Fear, and although it wont make them run, it'll make combat a whole lot easier, if then can only on 6's.

Cheers, and Good luck TPM - One of us will get our first win here

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

I question the ability the ambushers will have at actually releasing the Fanatics.

Onto voting, the Chariots will pose a problem for the Gobbos, but I also think the Pump Wagons and Squigs will be able to pose almost as big a problem for the BoC.

I also can't bring myself to rule out the Gobbo shooting. D3/D6-inflicting wounds can reduce the big units by a Minotaur etc or two.

Combat will be nasty, but I don't think the BoC can tip the balance well enough. Sorry tim, but I'm voting TPM for a Minor Victory, or it could well even be a draw.

-AFG//

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The Punp Wagons are unpredictable, and should be dealt with by the, on average, longer charge range of the chariots. However they ARE going to cuase lots of damage on the way to being beaten

The effect on the Night Goblin units of having to release fanatics early through ambushers can be deadly. A diagram would have been better, but if those gobbo units are too close to gether to crowd round the base of teh hill, then even marching warhounds could cause all teh fanatics to be released early....
    I also don't thing the Goblins have anything to counter the Shaggoth, apart from the rock lobber and a paltry Ld7 character. WIth a Doom Diver, I think they stood a decent chance fo causing lots of damage. A Rock Lobber doesn't quite cut it.

Minor Victory to the Beasts

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

This again is a real toughie. The Goblins have the numbers (no shock there), and a beavie of dangerous, if not unpredictable units.

The Beasts have a nice structure to them, and a fantastic unit in the Shaggoth, which the Goblins will struggle with the disposal of.

In the end, having read the tactics and looking at the map, I will give this one to TPM, but it is going to be the minor(est) of victories.

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I like the Beasts plan. I think getting those fanatics out will be key, and as he says he's got a big edge once the fighting starts. The lack of Spear Chuckas will make handling that Shaggoth difficult as well. I think the only way the Gobbos stand a shot is with a blitz, but Beastmen are excellent at flee-flank fu, and their chariots have an edge over the snotling pump wagons.

I say, Beasts of Chaos, major victory.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TPM View Post
    The hero (with his S10 first round hits and D6 S6 hits when he dies) will be looking to kill off any shamen, generals or at worst poke holes in Shaggoths that wander into view.
    Hmmm..... S10 punch-in-face goodness. Riding S5 eat-your-face goodness. With a S6 time-bomb-in-my-pants dessert goodness.

OK- he might not kill it out-right but he can certainly bash a hole in it enough to give a catapult or fanatic or pump-wagon hit a chance to finish it.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

The Paint Monkey for a major victory. Nets and fanatics will cause lots of problems. Plenty of units to flee and countercharge.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    Hmmm..... S10 punch-in-face goodness. Riding S5 eat-your-face goodness. With a S6 time-bomb-in-my-pants dessert goodness.

OK- he might not kill it out-right but he can certainly bash a hole in it enough to give a catapult or fanatic or pump-wagon hit a chance to finish it.
    I don't see why you're even worried about that thing. I've never seen a unit like that beat a R&R unit. They inevitably sit there squishing a goblin or three waiting for support all the while losing combats.

-AFG//

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonFarseerGuy View Post
    I don't see why you're even worried about that thing. I've never seen a unit like that beat a R&R unit. They inevitably sit there squishing a goblin or three waiting for support all the while losing combats.

-AFG//
    It's more to do with glory and bragging rights, to be honest.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

458 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    It's more to do with glory and bragging rights, to be honest.
    You still get glory and bragging rights if you run the thing down. Plus a few cheap laughs at your opponent's expense.

-AFG//

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast